Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Canuck View Post
Anyone seen a landing in BoP yet? It seems to be air to air exclusively.
In some missions you will start from the airfield, the same situation is with landing.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Approved Member

Koool.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Approved Member

I've got a 360 and I'll most likely buy it. I just wish I could plug my CH pedal and stick into the 360 and it would recognise them.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Approved Member

GameSpy published small preview after playing the game at GC. You can read the article here.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike-it View Post
GameSpy published small preview after playing the game at GC. You can read the article here.

Mmm...

Gamespy seems to like the game. If the game is that close to being a "sim" it will be really difficult to play without a joystick.

Kind of makes you think (god, I need my coffee_LOL)
Old 08-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
Mmm...

Gamespy seems to like the game. If the game is that close to being a "sim" it will be really difficult to play without a joystick.

Kind of makes you think (god, I need my coffee_LOL)
There is a joystick for the 360 but I would like to use my own and can not justify spending more on another(my wife would kill me). It will be OK on pad but not the same but beggars can not be choosers!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Approved Member

Iv'e looked at the trailer again and I must say I'm REALLY impressed with the graphics!
The way light and shadow are giving life to the planes is astonishing! Just look at the ailrons of the Hurricane the camera is trailing for a while!

The landscape is mouthwatering. It would be so nice to fly low-level, trying to stay below the top of the trees with that terrain! I noticed that the trees had no shadow, but that is really a minor detail.

If SOW:BOB has grapichs as good at this (I guess it will), and a weather as good as indicated it will be, this will become a dream to fly. I wouldn't even miss enemies..

Skarphol
Old 08-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
The trailer reminds me of the old Jane's WW2 fighters where the hit box was huge and you could easily pile up the crashing enemy.
There is no 'hit box' in the game.
There are several parts of plane, which are _modelled_ and bullet is tracing them, simulating loss of velocity and damaging to each part. Not in case of explosive bullets.

When you hit right engine, it will burn.
If you hit bombs - they are exploding.
Henkels are not armoured, and Hurricanes in trailer are with cannons.
So they are exploding.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Yudintsev View Post
There is no 'hit box' in the game.
There are several parts of plane, which are _modelled_ and bullet is tracing them, simulating loss of velocity and damaging to each part. Not in case of explosive bullets.

When you hit right engine, it will burn.
If you hit bombs - they are exploding.
Henkels are not armoured, and Hurricanes in trailer are with cannons.
So they are exploding.
Hurricanes with cannons... that'll do it. LOL

I've been doing the bOB II WOV shooting the .303s. You do get a response from the program that you got hits, but mostly no results. The devs have a strong penchant for historical accuracy so the firepower is pretty nil on the British side. I don't disagree, since providing a more historically accurate BOB is the user and dev intent. Still gets frustrating emptying your guns with no kills and having to head for base. IMO, this would be a loser for sure in a console game.

I think you've done right thing with console game. Console players like a lot of high quality graphics, fast action, explosions and lots of victories.

I hope you do well with BOP. It certainly won't hurt to have renewed interest in WW2 Combat flight simulation. Personally, I've got a $4,000+ PC, a $1,000+ in Controllers and have absolutely no thoughts of going to console games. I'm an adult, so sitting in front of TV with bowl of chips and a Monster drink and pushing buttons at light speed is not how I see myself.

Last edited by nearmiss; 08-28-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

The thing I find with BOB WOV is its harder to setup your joystick to make the Hurricane as solid a gun platform as it really was. That said the DM in BOB WOV has some of the same problems as the IL-2 damage model. You can do significant damage to an enemy and still have a hard time catching him to finish him off. Although I know Buddye has been tweaking the DM to slow down the damaged aircraft in WOV.