Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Approved Member

But just before we all get really carried away....yes it looks nice, yes we want 'our' BoB to be just as nice....BUT!!! Can you really expect the game to play like the video you are seeing.

This game is for the Xbox, not the PC, not the simulation community, it's for the 360 gaming community.

I hope I'm wrong, but I would expect at the very least, multiple HUD's on-screen (these are promo videos) with arrow's pointing everywhere, lots of bad voice acting and cut-scenes, unlimited ammo, un-realistic damage model for your plane...I mean these are the players who get hit 20-times by a bullet an still live!
Can you expect them to head skyward, get one hit from a Cannon round and die? Then they take-off again (if there are take-off's in this 'instant action' day and age) and get hit by a rear-gunner of the bomber?

This will not be seen as enjoyable by the 'quick fix' arcade players, so although looking superb visually, I think it will be very interesting to see what the 'in-game' footage really looks like!

Also as has been pointed out, if there was a way to get the Live Vision Camera to act a TIR, that would be innovative, but I don't see it happening!

Lastly I posted the news about BoP on the Official Xbox 360 Forum when the news was released, here is the link to the thread with all the feedback from excited 360 users about the new sim:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/forums/viewtopi...ight=sturmovik

I'll buy it, but......

Cheers, MP.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Approved Member

geez mystic,a bit of the glass is half empty eh?you normaly seem quiet a postive person too.personly i think it looks great and will more then likely a blast to play,a lot of your points are based on assumptions only and i think your being as bit harsh by jumping to conclusions like that,i was always told that assumption is the mother of all mistakes,so i think it's better that we wait till we get more info before we start the il-2 forum trend of shooting it down befor we know what really going on.

plus we're lucky enough to have one of the developer's in this very thread so maybe he'll shed a little light on those points if he's allowed.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Approved Member

yes I agree - lets wait and see - the videos related to Il2 Sturmovic: Birds of Prey are all very interesting to say the least..

I do not have a console today but have owned them in the past and might buy a new one just to see what these guys have done and to further support the genre of combat flight simulation...it will be interesting to see Il2 in full High Definition glory on my livingroom wall....

the Sandman...

Last edited by heywooood; 07-04-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I would expect at the very least, multiple HUD's on-screen (these are promo videos) with arrow's pointing everywhere, lots of bad voice acting and cut-scenes, unlimited ammo, un-realistic damage model for your plane...
I'll start from the begining.
There are three types of realism settings in game: 'Simplified', 'Realistic', 'Simulator'.

In first one, 'Simplified' (for arcade players) there are HUDs, arrows pointing everywhere, aiming point showed for locked target (bullets still fly with finite speed), 3rd person site view, no spins, auto-trimming (to compensate G-forces), auto-flaps controlling on landing. Cockpit view is optional.

In 'Relistic', there are HUDs, but no aiming point, still auto-trim and auto-flaps, but spins & stalls on. 3rd Person site view is optional, cockpit view is default.

In 'Simulator', there are NO HUDs, NO aiming point, NO auto-trim NO auto-flaps, spins & stalls on. 3rd Person site view is NOT avialable.

Ammo is infinite in all campaign missions, but in Multiplayer there is an option for making it finite (as a session parameter).

Quote:
I mean these are the players who get hit 20-times by a bullet an still live!
Regarding damage model - it is more realistic than in original IL2 (according to real WW2 statistics) in all modes. So you can get killed very easy (or kill easy).
And damage model is not simplified for all modes - each part of plane can be damaged independently, including engine, pilot, oil, etc, etc.
BTW, this mean that you can get 20 or 40 hits in a single wing and still can fly (with damaged wing, of course) but plane can be destroyed with one 'lucky' bullet to engine.

Quote:
I'll buy it, but......
Thanks a lot!
Hope I make situation more clear.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Approved Member

You're a patient man Anton, it will serve you well around here. I do wonder if having infinite ammo as standard for the campaigns (even in sim mode) is a great idea. I would suggest a bit more thought on that one (assuming of course it's not to late to change it).

That said, you have a fine looking game there.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 PM
71st_Mastiff

I still want to see the interface, how does the user interact with this game?

i.e flight control stick i.e saitek 52? trk ir? rudder pedals? Is this going to be use in the game for XBox 360?

Please let us know.
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back "
Asus||i7x5930k||16gb3200||GTX10808gb||ATX1200Corsa ir||CBTitanium7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr4Pro/ir||gladiator pro mkII||siatekpedals||X52Throttle||G15Keyboard/RazerMouse||
32"LCD||2x7" lilliputs,1x9inc
Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF_Mastiff View Post
Please let us know.
For Xbox360 (not for PS3) peripheral devices should approved by MS.
So, we support X360 flightstick (something like 45, not 52).

For PS3, most probably, 52 will work.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAim View Post
You're a patient man Anton, it will serve you well around here. I do wonder if having infinite ammo as standard for the campaigns (even in sim mode) is a great idea.
It is not so bad idea, actually. We have gun overheating to compensate infinite ammo.
In campaign, players are more interested in interesting play and mission design. It is really very frustrating to restart a mission, if you have all ammo finished, but undamaged plane... Console players won't forgive it.

Most of hardcore players prefer MP in any case - where they can choose limited ammo or infinite, whatever they want.

So you can think about Simulate mode in Campaign as a launch pad for hardcore multiplayer.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:17 PM
Approved Member

Anton, If I seem like my heart isn't in it....sorry, it came at a point in the night where alcohol was helping to send me to dream land

What I think would be brilliant for your game, would be a comprehensive replay feature, something along the lines of Halo3, where users can create movies from the gameplay and upload them. What I have never understood is why so-few game maker incorporate this feature.
I mean the players upload and share the footage on Youtube/Gametrailers...here even, and all this is free marketing and publicity, opening up the potential of more buyers?

Failing that, a way of creating an 'action' replay along the lines of the Director mode in the 'Driver' games.

So that the user can either replay footage of the mission they have just played, using a dynamic camera, set in game to switch every 4-6 seconds to an alternative camera POV, or let the player direct the replay of the footage they have just flown, again like the 'Driver' games let you.

One more thing you may already have implemented, but only useful for Simulated Mode with finite ammo, is a Gun Camera POV, which would show the player footage only from the time the trigger was pressed?

Lastly, having had an Xbox 360 since they came out, I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it will be to have the Simulated Mode operated on the 360 controller, now that sir is a challenge, and I wish you luck in making it user friendly...wow, seriously good luck!

Finally, as I said, I will be buying it, anything has to be better than the WW2 shooters (air warfare) on the system at the moment, but please can I ask you to think strongly about a replay and film-making option, it really will raise it's profile to have lots of films showing the quality of the game out on the Internet.

No, really this is lastly.....when you get to adding content to the Marketplace, and seeing as I asked first.....The P-47 would be a great plane to start with along with the P-38 and P-51......47 first though

Cheers, MP.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Approved Member

Making in-game movies is really challenging - I mean, making it according to MS guidelines (TCRs), and user friendly. First wasn't an issue for Halo, of course
So I can't promise it will be there. Moreover, I am not allowed to tell you this details till game site will open, actually.

But. All in-game footage that were published, were made exactly like this, in-game. That doesn't mean this feature will be in released game, however.

Sorry, I can't tell you anything about downloadable content will be available first (and which planes will be in initial release also). Stay tuned. All I can say, it seems, that you wan't be disappointed in that.