Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Approved Member

Default BF109G What's the point ?

So I unlocked the BF109G and I was reading about the aircraft in the hanger section. It tells me the 'G' variant is 46% heavier than the 'E' but can carry much better guns. So when I checked what guns it had by pressing the 'armaments' button I saw it only has the same guns as the 'B'

So what's the point of including a plane that's 46% heavier and then not bothering to give it the guns that made it so much heavier. Or am I missing something ?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

The 109G is much faster and more maneuverable than the E. The E is a relic of Spanish Civil War, the G was one of the top fighters at the time it debuted.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
So I unlocked the BF109G and I was reading about the aircraft in the hanger section. It tells me the 'G' variant is 46% heavier than the 'E' but can carry much better guns. So when I checked what guns it had by pressing the 'armaments' button I saw it only has the same guns as the 'B'

So what's the point of including a plane that's 46% heavier and then not bothering to give it the guns that made it so much heavier. Or am I missing something ?
I know some planes you unlock better guns, maybe you can unlock a better gun for it?
Old 09-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess it must be about speed then because no you cannot unlock other guns for it. I was hoping for it to have the upgraded guns to make it easier to get kills in MP
Old 09-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

You want the K with the nose mk108 - and then you see planes start to blow up good in MP.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Approved Member

I've unlocked the G-6 and that has 30mm which I tested have in MP and they destroy aircraft pretty easily.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Approved Member

In reality, the latter marks of the Gustav were a real pig of an aeroplane. Too heavy, they had to be flown at near full power in the landing circuit, or they would fall out of the air.

The early "F" was the real Pilot's aeroplane. Light on armament, it was a great dogfighter. When the F-4 and later marks with gondola wing mounted cannon came in, they went downhill.

LJB

Last edited by M3-SRT8; 09-06-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
In reality, the latter marks of the Gustav were a real pig of an aeroplane. Too heavy, they had to be flown a near full power in the landing circuit, or they would fall out of the air.

The early "F" was the real Pilot's aeroplane. Light on armament, it was a great dogfighter. When the F-4 and later marks with gondola wing mounted cannon came in, they went downhill.

LJB
So very true. The Fs really are the best 109 varient
Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Approved Member

The Bf.109-G series was more of a bomber killer intended to combat the B-17 and B-24 bombers intruding over German airspace in vast numbers.

The feeble armament of the Bf.109-E and F was inadequate to have much effect against the dreaded "Viermots".

Likewise for the armoured and clumsy Fw.190-F8.

Not all Luftwaffe fighters were for dogfighting with other fighters, some were for the primary fighter role of killing bombers.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Approved Member

bomber killer