Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Men of War

Men of War New World War II strategy game

Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Approved Member

Default Anti-tank Weapons

I was playing Men of War recently and I fired a bazooka at a Sherman tank and the rocket bounced off. Normally, a weapon like that would destroy an M4 Sherman. The anti-tank rockets are completely ineffective against medium tanks that would otherwise be destroyed in RL. How do I know this? Simple. Many accounts of German soldiers firing Panzerschrecks (Their copy of the American bazooka) and destroying the tanks. The rocket bounces off the tank. You have to run up to the tanks and throw an anti-tank grenade and get within inches of the tank. The AT grenades are more effective than the rockets, when it should be the other way around.

The Sherman is much, much more thinly armored than a T-34 tank. Why do they have the same armour values?

There's also the issue of omnipotent AI that can see through walls. The tank is omnipotent owner of the battlefield and that top-mounted machine gun just rules everything. I get shot at by another AI soldier and the top gunner instantly turns right around and shoots me and kills me. This is impossible. Such sounds would be drowned by the motor noise of the tank and the human eye only sees so much and focus and the gunner swings around like a monkey and can see everything.

You hide in a bush where he can't see you normally, but alas the ghost-like AI that can see through material easily pops you.

It's frustrating. The conical shape charge rocket shoots a jet of flame through the armor and the rocket penetrates the tank and blows it up. A panzerfaust would easily destroy a Sherman. At the point I hit in the video, the tank's ammo is stored there. The thin armor of the Sherman would not stop the rocket and the tank would go up like fireworks if I hit it in that spot.

You have to get within centimeters (inches or millimeters) of the tank and hit it in the rear to destroy the Sherman. At the distance I fired at the tank it would be destroyed.

See Armor penetration for more details.

I would like to make a mod to edit the coding to make the bazooka more effective, instead of the pop-gun effect Anybody here know how to code? I do not know anything about coding or editing to make the bazooka hit the tank and blow it up. How do you get the code of Men of War to edit it? How do you edit the game? I want to make a realism mod for it. I want the M-1 Garand to have a realistic rate of fire. It fires like a bolt-action, instead of a semi-automatic rifle, like it normally would.

I would like to make a mod. I am new to the field and do not know a thing about it. I am an amateur. I do not know how to edit the main game and change it to make the weapons more realistic and change the AI behavior to be more humanistic.

I would like to make a mod to edit the coding to make the bazooka more effective, instead of the pop-gun effect Anybody here know how to code? I do not know anything about coding or editing to make the bazooka hit the tank and blow it up. How do you get the code of Men of War to edit it? How do you edit the game? I want to make a realism mod for it. I want the M-1 Garand to have a realistic rate of fire. It fires like a bolt-action, instead of a semi-automatic rifle, like it normally would.

The AI tank crews can hit me at distances where they can't even see me! It's like the AI all have walkie talkies and they instantly tell me where I am. The stealth combat is lousy and the closer quarters combat needs some work.

Last edited by Patchman123; 05-24-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Approved Member

Yes, the weak Anti Tank weapons is one of MANY things I saw as....odd...about vanilla MoW.

I have since then made my own mod, changing a vast majority of the things in the game, including giving men much longer view ranges, it does make for much harder sneaking and some of the SP missions are alot harder because of it but I like the better view ranges. Also, you might notice tank and anti tank gun ranges are absurdly short? I raised all tank guns to 140+, Anti Tank guns fire 160..makes them a royal pain in the ass really but that is good. AT Guns are the bane to tanks and in my mod they do it fairly well. Also, Tank gun penetration degradation? I made that MUCH slower, now at 90m instead of the Tiger having 43penetration, the Tiger I has 100 penetration at 152m +D Sherman, its gun has like 60penetration at 140m =D

Also, in Base MoW, you mention how the top MGs whip right around, its because, as im sure you notice, every turret or MG on the tanks traverses WWWAAYYYYYY to fast, my mod slowed that down, closer to what i figure it was in RL. It took the RL Tiger I between 30-77 seconds or something to traverse the turret. IN my mod I think it traverses 360 in 28s? Sherman I think I have at 22s for a 360 traverse, either way, its much slower but still awesome. I think I slowed down a fair bit of the top MG dudes, they move it much slower. As for the infantry and tanks seeing you through the wall, they either have someone viewing you that you cant see or they do see you, through a window or broken section of wall somewhere. Their tanks that fire at you though you cant see them? The AI always has alot more infantry then you so they are able to see you although you cant see them, and its also a side effect of the the short view ranges in base MoW...in my mod everything is longer...view ranges, gun ranges..I tried somewhat to edit the Anti Tank weapons but it had minimal results...still seems to take 2 or 3 shots to kill a Tank..I think that is just a side effect of the game coding, no I dont know hwo to edit that, i simply edited files. I could give you my mod and let you give it a wack, its not exactly totally realistic but I think its a fair bit closer then the base game.

As for what you said about why the T34 and Sherman have the same armor...well, they kinda did, the T34 I think was 52 or 47mm the Sherman was 51 and 63mm, some of the later versions had 63 and 76mm and even 89mm but yeah, neither are well armored really. ONly difference was the T34 had 60 degrees of sloping to the Shermans 46 or 54.

Oh, and vision, when you are moving around, you become visible, as do the AI. That other M4 was staring you right in the face as you came around the corner...so it would only make sense you get hit. What I do find annyoing is how ineffective a bush is at hiding you.

Last edited by KnightFandragon; 05-24-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightFandragon View Post
Yes, the weak Anti Tank weapons is one of MANY things I saw as....odd...about vanilla MoW.

I have since then made my own mod, changing a vast majority of the things in the game, including giving men much longer view ranges, it does make for much harder sneaking and some of the SP missions are alot harder because of it but I like the better view ranges. Also, you might notice tank and anti tank gun ranges are absurdly short? I raised all tank guns to 140+, Anti Tank guns fire 160..makes them a royal pain in the ass really but that is good. AT Guns are the bane to tanks and in my mod they do it fairly well. Also, Tank gun penetration degradation? I made that MUCH slower, now at 90m instead of the Tiger having 43penetration, the Tiger I has 100 penetration at 152m +D Sherman, its gun has like 60penetration at 140m =D

Also, in Base MoW, you mention how the top MGs whip right around, its because, as im sure you notice, every turret or MG on the tanks traverses WWWAAYYYYYY to fast, my mod slowed that down, closer to what i figure it was in RL. It took the RL Tiger I between 30-77 seconds or something to traverse the turret. IN my mod I think it traverses 360 in 28s? Sherman I think I have at 22s for a 360 traverse, either way, its much slower but still awesome. I think I slowed down a fair bit of the top MG dudes, they move it much slower. As for the infantry and tanks seeing you through the wall, they either have someone viewing you that you cant see or they do see you, through a window or broken section of wall somewhere. Their tanks that fire at you though you cant see them? The AI always has alot more infantry then you so they are able to see you although you cant see them, and its also a side effect of the the short view ranges in base MoW...in my mod everything is longer...view ranges, gun ranges..I tried somewhat to edit the Anti Tank weapons but it had minimal results...still seems to take 2 or 3 shots to kill a Tank..I think that is just a side effect of the game coding, no I dont know hwo to edit that, i simply edited files. I could give you my mod and let you give it a wack, its not exactly totally realistic but I think its a fair bit closer then the base game.

As for what you said about why the T34 and Sherman have the same armor...well, they kinda did, the T34 I think was 52 or 47mm the Sherman was 51 and 63mm, some of the later versions had 63 and 76mm and even 89mm but yeah, neither are well armored really. ONly difference was the T34 had 60 degrees of sloping to the Shermans 46 or 54.

Oh, and vision, when you are moving around, you become visible, as do the AI. That other M4 was staring you right in the face as you came around the corner...so it would only make sense you get hit. What I do find annyoing is how ineffective a bush is at hiding you.

So where is this mod of yours? Where can I download it? Do you have it? The PaK 40 seems to traverse at unrealistic speeds and whips around like a gunfighter in a Western movie. I am within feet of an enemy tank and I'm shooting the infantry around the tank and the tank seems to shoot at me. Does the tank engine noise drown and the main gun drown out the small arms sounds fired by infantry around the tank? I lie in a bush in the prone position and the AI always knows where to shoot at me. It's like they magically have some kind of sound detector device to track you down. They instantly know where the shot comes from. Camouflage is useless. They seem to run rather fast like and react like a crazy bunch of psychos. The howitzer always knows where my position is. You can't snipe your enemy from long range.

I'd like to be able to snipe from longer ranges at enemy targets, without the gunner always pinpointing my position lying down where he can't even see me. I'd like to know why the tank destroyer in the Dietrich Hellman mission always is able to shoot at my position, even though to him I am lying at position behind the house where the gunner wouldn't see me. The AI always hits me, even though I'm behind a group of houses. The Sherman tank column that comes in just rules the battlefield and it's impossible to tank out a Sherman with the jeep with the twin bazooka mounting. I fire at the Sherman and the rockets have no effect at all.

How do you mod it? I've been wanting to tinker with the settings? Can you tell me how?

Last edited by Patchman123; 05-26-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Approved Member

Well, this game doesnt go that in depth. You cant really "sneak" around, the only way to do that is know the enemy's Line of Sight and their vision arcs and stay outside of it. In my Mod the vision is lenghthend a fair bit. The default is like 90m, infantry in my mod see 120, so sneaking is even harder. No, tank engines dont drown out sounds, this game doesnt add in things such as that. Its pretty much anytime you move and the enemy can see you, if you fire, if ou run.....its very hard to move around with infantry or anything and not be fired at. It does get a little....frustrating at times....but through learning the game and adjusting tactics you can "adapt" to it I guess...there really is so much more I wish I could do with the editor but havent figured out or else it cant happen...

I sent you a PM with my mod link =D See if it fixes any of your issues.....I wasnt aiming for 100% realism, just increasing gun ranges, penetrating power and a few other things....all in all I like it over the base game...but then again, im biased to my own mod haha.

Last edited by KnightFandragon; 05-26-2012 at 11:03 PM.