Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

View Poll Results: Would you sacrifice small graphical issues in order to be able to use 6-DoF
Yes I could cope with this as it would add to my flying experience 270 85.44%
No, I'd rather have my head on a fixed stick thanks you very much 46 14.56%
Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Approved Member

Please Team Daidalos... We want the 6DOF already!!!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Approved Member

Poll Status today
80% pro 6DOF
20% con.

Easy to determine what to do ...
Old 02-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDawg View Post
ding! I think as mentioned some textures just wouldn't show up- you'd have an unobstructed view in addition to the advantage already.

p.s. trackers hate padlock, it evens the score!
Thesde 'glitches' are minor, some small missing graphics areas in a few cockpits when you head is out to the side (as far as it will allow, not a ridiculous amount). Have the guys saying 'No' even seen the mods 6DOF cockpits in action?

As for 'unfair advantage', first of all the glitches are so small they offer no advantage especially in a moving arena and in any case TrackIR offers an advantage over anyone that doesn't have it, 6 DOF or not, not to mention Joysticks versus mouse/keyboard, 4GHz i7 950/GTX580 versus 1.6GHz Pentium4/7600. You can argue the 'equipment' side for ever, it's meaningless.

Yes I hate padlock from my own point of view, it's an arcade setting and it does my head in.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEE View Post
Glitched? Some people must have a different version to me, my 6DOF is perfectly OK.
So is mine... and truth be told the unsightly "errors" are so fleeting when they do appear. I am certain that I am, not alone.. but I have yet to see an advantage offline or online gained from seeing a fleeting glimpse of whatever through a virtual 5mm crack in the pit.. I usually sit up pretty straight and whern I am trying to either track or acquire a bandit the last thing am trying to do is see through some minute seam.. I am either looking up or around.... Even in flying stock without 6DoF what I miss about the 6DoF are the little things.. being able to look around a spar, usually for home plate when I am landing... or around my joystick to see a gauge.. or even something as simple as blocking the sun by moving my head a bit to the left or right.. which was perfectly doable in a real warbird but usually because of the fluidity of aerial combat and flying in general was fleeting..

I think that there are several mods that could be implemented into the stock sim..In fact I think that that would go a long way to bringing folks back to the stock sim en masse.... If they swallowed their pride.. and added some of the mod variants... only the best ones... and some of the functional mods .. like the mod that allowed you to set a default speedbar as in metric or English.. and the mini map zoom mod... the skin mod.. the splashscreen mod.. I like having my custom Splashscreen.. and of course the skinmod...

While it is true that some of the mod planes are not as good as others.. some of the variants are quite good... and some like the P-51 actually corrected issues in the stock sim as evidenced in the better stability of the P-51 in 4.10. In the end it is about the sim. We all know that Oleg Maddox & 1C is the greatest combat flight sim developers to date.. there is little debate about that and if there were .. the product would speak for itself.. and CoD will only serve to cement that fact in the books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
These 'glitches' are minor, some small missing graphics areas in a few cockpits when you head is out to the side (as far as it will allow, not a ridiculous amount). Have the guys saying 'No' even seen the mods 6DOF cockpits in action?

As for 'unfair advantage', first of all the glitches are so small they offer no advantage especially in a moving arena and in any case TrackIR offers an advantage over anyone that doesn't have it, 6 DOF or not, not to mention Joysticks versus mouse/keyboard, 4GHz i7 950/GTX580 versus 1.6GHz Pentium4/7600. You can argue the 'equipment' side for ever, it's meaningless.

Yes I hate padlock from my own point of view, it's an arcade setting and it does my head in.
Pretty much..

I'd get shot down a lot quicker if I were trying to find some kind of advantage in a gap like that.. and mind you.. I have to hold my head in that position to see that view.. Usually thiongs are happening too fast for that to happen.

Last edited by Bearcat; 02-21-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Approved Member

When I said that these glitches are "minor", I almost got stoned by TD and all fanboys...

I voted "yes", but I don't have great hopes, as Freetrack suport in IL-2:CoD. Consumers and 1C/TD have diverse opinions about what is best for us flyers.

But let's see what's happens...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Approved Member

The on-line is a total mess at the moment with so many different mod and version servers. It will 'stabilise' but the simple fact is that anyone who wants 6DOF can have it either as part of a comprehensive 3rd party pack or a discreet 'add-on' and keep a separate install for vanilla MP. The problem is that once a player invests in Headtracking he may well 'conside'r or be 'curious' as to the added benefits of 6DOF. This player is now in the 'modding' community and I suspect that many are caught in the "oh, that looks good, and wow, I can have this too!" My first encounter with headtracking was - "I wan't to try 6DOF......" the rest is history and I now have 3 versions installed on my HD. My favourite is 4.10.1 with 6DOF, a few nice maps and my early Spits for SP/MP BoB campaigns. Thats it for me - don't want or need anything else.

Would these stop me buying CoD.......absolutely not!

Last edited by SEE; 02-19-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Approved Member

Bearcat, you nailed the argument perfectly.

All I am asking for is a switch, even with a warning that "Enabling this may cause minor graphical glitches" may be added?

This for me will bring IL2 so-far up to date it would be a great optional addition.

Cheers, MP

(and 82% want it in the poll too!)
Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Approved Member

I voted yes.

~S~
Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Approved Member

In many ways I see this as a watershed moment... whether or not they realize it... with the addidion of a few key mods... 1C could in a way "take back" IL2... This is something that would benefit the community.. because many of us really don't need the 53 109 and 31 Fw 190 variants in the UP2.01 and while some of them could probably be added to the sim the 9 FW-190 variants and 15 Me-109 variants in 4.10.1 are a pretty darned good selection. even if 25% of the modded planes were added to the sim, along with 6DoF and a few other mods.. it would go along long way to getting the sim back into 1Cs hands so to speak... and of course this is just my opinion.. but I know a lot of guys who still fly modded basically because they want 6DoF.. and they want more in the the way of Mustangs as just one example... than the limited selection offered in the stock sim.

Some modders will always prefer to run modded just because they can.. and I have nothing against mods.. especially now after the overall classy way that thisa community handled them... but I am absolutely certain that if given the choice between a more secure official version with some of the added functionality of mods.. some which had been asked for for years... years.... and a ever changing, ever evolving smorgasbord of stuff that a lot of folks will never use... a whole bunch of folks would go the official route.... by choice..

It is obvious from the comments that many who are opposed to adding 6DoF officially to the sim either have never seen it work... or are going on some of the things that were early in the mod stage. The fact that what most of us fly with now is much tighter than those horrible shots from a few years back when this all got started says that there is a way to limit it.. but I have to admit.. a little 6DoF is better than none..

I'd be willing to bet that if 1C & TD took a serious look at what mods the community would like to see added to the sim... and not just the planes and such.. and then weeded out the ones that were not doable.... or tried to figure a way to make them doable.. a lot of people would actually prefer to fly stock.. From where I sit this is one of those moments where balance can be returned to the force..

and as I said.. of course that is just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
and as I said.. of course that is just my opinion.
+1

I agree. Couple this with selectable external sound schemes as suggested by Azimech, maybe some effects and selectable map repaints for the legacy stock maps for those with the hardware to take advantage and you will have taken away the reason for many users to use mods. Mods will always be with us, however. The plethora of modded planes unavailable in the stock game and the jerks on the board or directors of Northrop Grumman make the continued existance of mods a virtual certainty. Multiple IL-2 installs are a great thing .

Cheers,

Fafnir_6