Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Approved Member

Skarden,
Not answering for Copperhead, but it depends on where you draw the line. Taking for granted that all of us have speeded out of legal some times, it means that we can do anything? Selling drugs? Shooting at wildlife in a park? Killing your wife? I’m not saying that modding a game is like killing, of course, but don’t you think that your example is somewhat ambiguous? My opionion, of course.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Approved Member

Smile

Thats a fair call Furio,and to be honest it is a little ambiguous,my bad(I always lost debates at school )It's just that copperhead has said that one of the reasons he says he doesnt want to go the mod path is that it's illegal.

to me it's kinda like saying well this guy(anyone really) has hacked a game illegally and that is just NOT cool or acceptable,yet this other guy(once again anyone) who speeds sometimes and could cause an accident and possibly hurt or kill someone is ok.

To me it's a double standard.

That said I have seen threads both here and UBI that HAVE likened mod users to being all sorts of nasty stuff like crack heads and even pedophiles.

You are right furio and i agree but the line was drawn a while ago and we (mod user's) were very very very(i cant write enough very's here) wrongly pegged on the crack head and pedophile side by some of the anti mod ppl,defintely not all i know,just the loud ones that sometimes give the rest of you a bad name,just like some of the pro modders i guess.

Last edited by skarden; 01-05-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

Insults and “ad hominem” attacks should be avoided, period. In this you are right, Skarden. Both sides have indulged in this kind of sport, and this is the main reason for which I don’t take one side AGAINST the other.
Two examples.
Anti modders equate mods with cheats. In my opinion, this is a very weak argument. If my goal is to cheat, I would hack the game, and take advantage in absolute silence. The last thing I want and need is a place like AAA that attracts attention and raises suspicions.
Modders equate Oleg silence with an approval. In my opinion, this is a very weak argument too. Oleg’s silence may be explained differently. For example, he may consider a waste of time and money to sue AAA.
As for the “double standard” you are talking of, I think it comes from the very nature of the web. Being a place in which law enforcement is almost impossible, we all tend to ignore law, and talk of moral categories. In my opinion, this generates a lot of confusion. Your example about speed limits can prove it easily. In my country, if you over speed, you are fined. It’s an administrative offense, not a criminal one. If you break other people IP or copyright it’s another matter. That is a criminal offense, and you risk jail.
Different countries have different laws, and the web seems to have none. This places all of us in a difficult position, and we should make any effort to keep our debate within civil boundaries.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

I was a latecomer to the IL-2 series, starting with Pacific Fighters. After that I back tracked and bought the earlier parts of the series. That would probably have been it.

--- but along came the mods, and it was that that persuaded me to buy the 1946 DVD, for the ease of installation that came with it. If it had not been for the mods I doubt I would have bothered.

How many other new sales have been generated like this? Or to look at it another way, have any sales been lost because of the mods?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Approved Member

Difficult to answer, without serious statistics which, I think, are way out of reach for all of us.
If I understand correctly, Spectrum, what are you implying is that more sales legitimate hacking (first) and mods (later)?
By the way, in my opinion, we should stop talking generically of “mods”. In AAA I’ve seen a lot of add-ons, albeit unofficial ones. For what I understand, FM modifications, or performances “corrections” are banned from the site.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Global Moderator

Thumbs up

Asking nice here...

This is the Il2 forums. We're all aware of MODS.

Oleg hasn't made a fuss about the MODS, but this is not the place to discuss them.

I'm sure most of you agree.

Discuss the MODS (modifications to IL2) where they should be discussed.

Thank you
Closed Thread