Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North

King`s Bounty: Warriors of the North Next game in the award-winning King’s Bounty series

Old 10-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
Also, totally hypothetical, but if Steam were to go out of business tomorrow...would the physical copy of Warriors of the North be unusable?
Depends if Gabe Newell's statements were correct or not. It's been said that if Steam were to close, Valve would distribute a patch to allow it to work offline - I presume that means it would also include the ability to install games.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Approved Member

Well, I just preordered it on Steam. Can't be bothered with the free gift, Fantasy Wars, but at least I get the extra in game bits (Valkyrie pack).

So I guess I'm back off to play the new XCOM for another week before Oct 26th
Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Approved Member

I can't find the item in Amazon but the release notes say preorder is available there. The bonus in Gamersgate is Kings Bounty 1 (already have it) and in Steam is Fantasy Wars (already have it). Any other place with preorder bonus other than the valhalla stuff which I think is common to all?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaksie View Post
There will be retail versions of course, but the will use Steamworks as well.
While I love Steam and have over 300 games in my Steam account I think people resent having their only option to play the game be tied to a Steam account.

I know it is a relatively painless process but some people do not want to use that service.

while I own The Legend and Crossworlds on Steam I also bought a second copy on GOG.com of The Legend because it was a DRM-free installer. That is something us PAYING customers value, pirates don't care what DRM you use.

So not only have I bought a second copy from GOG.com but if you would also release Crossworlds on GOG.com I would buy it in a second. Literally, I will spend the money all over again to have the game DRM free even though I use and enjoy Steam.

Your customers, the guys really into strategy games, are mostly the people who will buy your games. The people who will pirate this game are not the people who are going to be spending $30 on it, trust me.

The funny thing is that by offering a more convenient service you actually increase the value of your product. You already see I am willing to buy a game over again just for that feature of convience, I can install it on my work computer, any computer, I don't require an internet connection or an activation, there are times that comes in handy. I am not giving this game to people and if someone is interested I can let them play it and you may convert another player into a fan who will want to buy your other games. So you think you are protecting yourself by using DRM, even very good DRM like Steamworks, but really you are lowering the value of your product. There is some more complexity behind this I know but you should try and see what people actually value in your games, what they are willing to spend money on.

I've already pre-ordered Warriors of the North the moment I woke up groggily this morning and bleary eyed saw that it was availble for pre-order, I knew it was a day-1 preorder for me. I am looking forward to playing this game so much, I am now running through The Legend again as a run up to Warriors of the North. I am so excited.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
While I love Steam and have over 300 games in my Steam account I think people resent having their only option to play the game be tied to a Steam account.
MG, thanks for your thoughtful post. I am one of the folks you refer to. I have never purchased (leased?) a title from Steam and doubt I ever will, for various reasons. I certainly understand that many customers have had a good experience with them, but I'm not willing to purchase from them, given their current business model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post
while I own The Legend and Crossworlds on Steam I also bought a second copy on GOG.com of The Legend because it was a DRM-free installer. That is something us PAYING customers value, pirates don't care what DRM you use. I would likely purchase a copy of KB:WotN from other services that do not have the Steamworks DRM, such as Impulse.

So not only have I bought a second copy from GOG.com but if you would also release Crossworlds on GOG.com I would buy it in a second. Literally, I will spend the money all over again to have the game DRM free even though I use and enjoy Steam.
I purchased my original copy of KB:CW from Impulse and a second copy of KB:TL from GOG, primarily so I don't have keep the original CD-ROM in my computer. I would happily purchase KB:WotN from Impulse, if offered. I have no issue with activation limits, so long as I can recover them by uninstalling the game - it's the other DRM/Steam issues I choose not to accept. And I likely would purchase a backup via GOG, if KB:CW or KB:WotN are offered there.

I certainly understand why developers are concerned enough about piracy - especially when a game is first released - to want a DRM option. But as a buyer, I choose to opt out of such games. If 1C releases the game later without DRM, I'll snap it up. Unfortunately, that means I have to wait, and 1C will likely get less money from me (later releases are usually discounted), but that's the company's option. They aren't doing anything wrong by offering only Steamworks, but they are limiting their pool of potential customers.

To those who do get the game - enjoy!

Last edited by Sir Whiskers; 10-19-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Approved Member

Steamworks isn't a DRM, it is a bigger thing like framework. It contains Steam DRM, but much more importantly it allows achievements, leaderboard, storing saves in the cloud, that kind of stuff.

Steam DRM is actually one of the less intrusive DRM solutions available now. We decided not to add any third-party DRM like Tages, Proactive or one of others to the game (some titles on Steam have a third-party DRM and some don't), so if you're anti-DRM you can be assured we're not trying to limit a freedom of legitimate buyers while trying to minimize piracy.

As it was already mentioned many times, after installing a Steam game and running it you can switch Steam to offline mode and you won't need to connect to Internet to play. Of course achievements and other online features like cloud stuff won't work, but you'll be able to play the game wherever you want, on a laptop in a middle of a forest if you'd like to. Personally I find this cloud saving very convenient, you can play on different PCs and have your progress synchronized. Of course Steam also means automatically delivered updates so don't forget to connect to Internet sometimes to make sure you won't miss them
Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Approved Member

Steam is third-party DRM, and it's about as intrusive as a bulldozer knocking down one of your walls. First-party DRM is, say, Ubisoft's UPlay system.

And the offline mode is, as far as I remember, about as stable as... something very unstable. The automatic updates also mean you're stuck (as in STUCK) if an update breaks the game because you can't roll back, you can't choose your version and so on. You're giving up your freedom for features that you might not ever use (I've got Cloud Saves turned off because it's malfunctioned before and I almost lost 10-20hrs of progress on Saints Row the Third, not to mention the issues Dungeons of Dredmor appears to have with Steam Cloud at times).

It's probably the most "acceptable" form of DRM behind single-activation/online-activation SecuROM, but it's not exactly the Holy Grail of Content Protection.

Last edited by Dwagginz; 10-19-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
And the offline mode is, as far as I remember, about as stable as... something very unstable. The automatic updates also mean you're stuck (as in STUCK) if an update breaks the game because you can't roll back, you can't choose your version and so on.
I had problems with the auto update thing as well when Skyrim would release a new major patch and suddenly my game crashes ever 10 mins. No way to roll back and now way to install the previous stable version by reinstalling it. Have to wait days or weeks for either a fan fix or another update and hope it fix's it. That was very frustrating. I also really dislike their refusal to give refunds on games that are completely broken but that's more personal.
Mostly I can not stand having to have another program have to launch and be running just to play a different one. It eats resources and as minor as it is I really don't like having to wait several second or mins to start my game because a different program has to update, or realize there is no internet and so have to restart in offline mode. Many of these things are minor but there is enough of them that unless a game is really good I'll just pass or wait.

So while I really wish I could buy this game I'll pass, If a gog.com version comes out I'll buy that right off. Same if a gog version of Crossworlds comes out. Until then I'll wait.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Approved Member

Could be wrong, but can't you only start Steam's offline mode if you're online?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Approved Member

You can disable auto-update on steam, so what the problem ? Also you can ask to a refund if the game don't work.

The only problem with steam is the price : they're more expensible than other platform.