Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

View Poll Results: So what texture sizes do you use ???
Original 62 60.19%
High 18 17.48%
Medium 23 22.33%
LOW 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS~Phat View Post
I just did some a-b screen shot comparisons and there is no difference in aircraft draw distance between medium and high land detail but there does appear to be less detail on land for trees and other things in the very far distance. You have to flick between 2 screen shots to see it because the difference is so minimal, but performance is way better!
This is an interesting comparison. It's very hard to actually tell the differences between the screenshots, and maybe with the game actually running, it would be even more difficult to spot the differences. (Or maybe easier, even. I'll have to give this a try for myself.)

As I understand the land detail setting, lower detail means less detail concerning the actual physical terrain, such as less detail around the shoreline, terrain being more flat and things like that.
I do speak under correction, but that is my understanding of it.
In the screenshots you posted, I honestly couldn't say which is which without looking at the captions.
I''ll have to try this out for myself tomorrow. (I've always just run it at medium settings and never bothered with anything else.)
Old 07-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Fish View Post
Bump Maps. ive worked wth bumps and normals all my life lol. This method they are using seems like a basic 3dmax height map shader, atleast thats the only place ive seen that style before. i have never seen this used like this before in software. btw the info lies on independant colour channels ie R,G,B not RGB, and alpha ofcourse.(room for more or possibly stuff missing) also whats strange us that the alpha is the direct inverse of the G channell.

somthing else ive noticed with these bumps is that peoples screenshots show an incredibly detailed bump map which ive never been priveledged to see ingame gtx280.
Right. So I guess my next question is how to create these bump maps? I'm not familiar with Max (I use Maya at work), so I'm wondering how complex this process is. Heck, if I get around to finishing those terrain textures, I may need to send them to you if you feel like doing the bump maps for them? I checked, a standard bump does not work in the CloD engine..
Old 07-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

OK, sorry, new guy to the show as steam just released it to me. Where are these texture packs available for download. A forum search has resulted in poor results here.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 AM
Approved Member

Original...I'll post my system specs if anyone is curious.I get very little to no stutter.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Approved Member

Original
But the biggest performance increase/decrease for me was after trying different terrain shading, right now on medium, about 10fps difference for me bewteen high and medium.
I will try the terrain detail to low, since in the screen shots it only seems to affect draw distance and I as well can hardly tell the difference, in the last two screens I see the most difference, but only in the very far distance.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

I just can't wait, nor do I want to tweak. I know, I know... What I see is, this is the only software not working on my current PC. A-10, RoF, several sims and other games, all run well even on high. I just assume at this point give up. They have our money. I'll wait until either the patch that fixes it, or a PC upgrade in a year or so that over powers the issues CoD has.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Approved Member

Have to agree on clouds as well, just flew a quick mission Bomber Intercept-Channel, without clouds 60 - 80 fps, with clouds 30...ish ????????