Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Approved Member

Default What cases do you guys have?

Sorry, not a thread related to the game, but I'm just curious as to what cases (chassis) everyone is using and why you chose that particular case.
Any potential upgrades on the horizon? Any pictures of your rig?

At the moment I'm using the HAF 932, had it about a year now. I really wanted a Corsair Obsidian 800D but although an amazing case, I wanted to run an air-cooled setup and also the price (at the time) was about three times that of the 932. My previous case was the original CM Stacker, also by Cooler Master.

For air cooling the 932 is a great case, with oodles of space for cable management, additional drives, fans and can take the biggest cards and coolers on the market. Installing optical drives and disk drives is a snap.

My only two gripes are that although it's functionality is excellent, I'm not wild about it's looks. I prefer undrstated looks generally.
The other thing is that it's a dust magnet because of the large fans, and it has barely any dust filters, so it needs to be cleaned fairly regularly.

I generally keep my cases quite a while, but when I upgrade again I will probably look for anothe case by CM or maybe Corsair.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 AM
Approved Member

I can recommend the Raven 2. Heaps of fans, an unconventional design in that you turn a regular PC 90 degrees on it's head, so cool air is drawn from below and blown out the top. I bought this case mainly because I only do air cooling and needed a big enough case for my Crossfire set-up.

My only gripe - the hard drive bays; if you need to replace a hard drive, you need to dismantle the PC, pulling out the mother board out to gain access to the bays. I had to do this recently but looking at it positively it gave me the opportunity to do a major clean out of dust

If you go to LAN parties don't get this case, its very solid and heavy.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=16179

Edit: Having just looked again, I didn't realise the Raven 3 is out, it looks like they have improved the design.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=17240

Last edited by Codex; 06-15-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Approved Member

I prefer Lian Li cases.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Approved Member

Case?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Approved Member

http://www.alza.sk/thermaltake-vk600...ts-d120549.htm

this one. It is nowadays not at therlmaltake´s site, but there are other comparable cases. Big fans up and on the side, and 1 fan aft and front with possibility to install more. HDD rack can be mounted so that you can put hdds from the side. GTX 480 and noctua nh-D14 fits ok.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Approved Member

If you are happy with your 932, I suggest getting the improved HAF X.

I have that one, it's spacious and I could easily fit my Corsair H-70 liquid/air cooler It has filters making dust less problematic, and room for loads of fans.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Approved Member

I have the Aerocool Lubic MATX. I've had this case since 2003 and I'm yet to find anything I want to replace it with. All the Lubic stuff was discontinued a long time ago and now is quite sought after. It was sold as various kits or in single items so you could add or build from scratch. It was the meccano of computer cases being as adaptable as your imagination. It's so nice to work on once it's built it too. I can slide the mother board straight out of the case by undoing a few thumb screws. The aluminium frame work is of exceptional quality.

They came like this and took a few hours at least to build with the included special gloves if you got acrylic kits:

Mine currently looks like this but has looked very different over the years:

This is how it looked in the last of the AMD single core days:

Some people really took them to the extremes:

It was cheap too IIRC I paid about £40 for my MATX case!

Cheers

Last edited by Honeymonster; 06-15-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added old picture
Old 06-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Approved Member

Corsair 700D - nicely understated and lots of room.

RedToo.

43 Squadron.

My 'Waiting for Clodo' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Approved Member

CM storm scout for the new rig, the old recently retired box was a Lan Li, both good cases, though i like this CM due to the 4 usb ports at the top front of the case.

Craig
Old 06-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Approved Member

Recently bought a Fractal R3 for my new rig and must say I love it.
Plenty HDD trays ,good layout ,good cabling options , great soundproofing, nice but not flashy finish etc.
But most of all I love how all the intakes have their own filters, was amazed how much dust they had gathered after 2 months of use.
Pricing is very reasonable aswell for it's quality..unlike some other brands.

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=...gory=2&prod=52

Last edited by Warhound; 06-15-2011 at 09:04 AM.