Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Approved Member

i7-860
@2.8 stock = occasional micro-stutters both in ArmA2 and BoB in the vicinity of large numbers of AI especially
@3.8 - almost no noticeable stutters after recent patches
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Approved Member

Short answer...YES

how someone can say overclocking a 2.8ghz CPU to a 3.8ghz CPU doesnt make any difference is mad..

just make sure you have adequate cooling, that doesnt mean you need water cooling either, i have a CM storm case with 3 fans blowing and sucking aswell as the CPU fan obviously and its OK o/c my Phenom 6 core 2.8 up to 3.5 and its stable without having to worry about extra volts..

i5 very over clockable to 4/4.5ghz from a 3.3ghz
AMD 1100t Black edition is very over clockable which would also do those frequencys..

most Mobos allow you to O/C easily but when you adjust your Cpu frequesncys it will adjust your Ram frequencys too so do your home work:

I have G-Skill 1600mhz Ram that i can only run at 1333Mhz stable when overclocking my Cpu with my particular Mobo-Gigabyte 890GPA (some vary obviously)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Approved Member

Actually, yes I am speaking about overclocking the CPU. I'm focused on whether or not overclocking would help a complex sim like CLoD. I was looking for some before-and-after data here, if anyone has some to offer up. They guys over at [H]ardOCP test video cards on an x58 board, overclocking the i7-920 to 3.6ghz to "remove the CPU bottle neck". That site has not tested CLoD and may never.
So, I should have posed the question like this: "How much has CLoD benefited from overclocking your processor?" Also is there a point of diminishing returns? As I've said, some guys here are running at over 4ghz. How much more responsive is CLoD to 4+ghz versus <4ghz?
Ought to be revealing. . The answers may help me decide on buying a new processor or keeping the old (un-used) 920
Flyby out
thanks guys
Old 05-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Approved Member

For "games" that don't use much CPU no it doesn't make much of a difference. For sims though, that are very CPU intensive, it makes a HUGE difference. On one of my sims I see a 50% frame rate increase going from stock on my i7 (3.06) to 4.0GHz.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Approved Member

I think it can help some , but not nearly as much as it did in the " old days ".
I remember overclocking an $89.00 Celeron processor to run as fast as a $900.00 Pentium II back in the 90's. It ran flawlessly for a couple years and allowed me to play games I would not have been able to run otherwise.

Todays multicore processors are all pretty powerful IF the game you are playing USES them properly. You need to approach overclocking with the knowlege that damage is possible so if you can't afford to replace your motherboard and or
processor you might not want to risk it. CPU's are kinda like fingerprints , no two
are exactly alike , some will overclock easily others won't.
Saitek X52 Pro & Saitek Pro Pedals
Track IR 4 Pro.... Miller Lite 12 pack.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Approved Member

Watch out guys.

No one wants a wave of newbies burning theirs PCs.

Last edited by Buchon; 05-17-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Approved Member

Flyby your current CPU is known to be a good overclocker and the performance might be worth it. I learned tons from HardForum and those guys really know what they are talking about. The I920 will require a little more work to overclock than say the new I5/7 2500k and 2600k. Those new ones with ONE CLICK in the bios you're at 4-4.2ghz..and a p67 or z68 motherboard. They made it simple for noobs..pros can still get them up to 5ghz manually with air cooling.
You will have to go into the bios and manually change clock speeds and maybe voltage on your setup. You could probably get 3.5-3.8ghz outta that 920 with little effort. If you use the stock intel cpu cooler you need to upgrade so you dont over heat the chip. This is basic but its probably worth the little effort involved!

Last edited by l3uLLDoZeR; 05-17-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the added replies, all. I've been out of the PC-building game for a while, but I know the i920 will reach at least 3.6 with air cooling and a good quality CPU cooler. It's a bit more work, as DoZeR says, but seems fairly do-able. I've though to sell it and buy an i2500K, just to more comfortably hit higher clocks. Plus, even when overclocking the 2500K, the power draw is substantially lower than the 920, not to mention that you can singularly focus on just overclocking the CPU. Apparently CLoD doesn't support or need hyperthreading either, and the 2500K doesn't have that feature. Too bad no crystal ball for what the future holds for gaming requirements, but if HT were to be a requirement, there's always the 2600K lurking. As I mentioned, the 920 has never been used, so maybe I'll find a buyer on the tech forums elsewhere.
thanks again!
Flyby out
Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Approved Member

You know whats up flyby...the 2500k is the best choice, low power and higher overclock. It's kinda something you have to choose which route to go.

Be warned microcenter sells the I7 960 for $199, thats gonna push the value of your "new" 920 down. Unless you plan on running more than 2 graphics cards the 2500k is the way to go!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Approved Member

This is a post i made on the DSC forum...

Quote:
I'd thought i'd share some info for anyone interested or doubting the performance a modest overclock can give you.

I'm running a modest overclock, a dual core E8400. Default it runs at 3Ghz, 18 months ago i overclocked it to 3.6Ghz. Very stable, no overheating, no fancy cooling.

A few days ago my BIOS reset itself without myself noticing, and set it back to factory default. (removed the overclock). This coincided with the latest Warthog patch release. Installed the patch and was getting terrible performance. My fps had reduced by 50%. Naturally i initially thought it was the patch. I reduced graphics setting but it made no difference. I was now getting 15 fps dropping to 5 every now and again, when i had been always been between 25 - 60 fps.

I noticed my overclock had been removed.. reinstated it through my BIOS save setting feature and my fps increased by about 70%!!! I went from getting 15 to 45fps on the exact same mission! From a 0.6 Ghz increase!!

My cpu is my bottelneck but i was amazed, i had, to be honest, never realise what a boost it was giving me in A10c.

My rig for reference.
E8400 stock 3Ghz - overclocked to 3.6 Ghz.
GTX 480 (1.5GB)
4 GB Ram (1066)
x-fi extreme music
SSD HD

All game settings on High except Water & Traffic on Medium.

Getting overclocking people!!!