Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Approved Member

Default does overclocking really pay off

I have n't paid a lot of attention to it here, so I'm asking. I see some guys are above 4ghz with their processors. From what I've read around the net, the payoff at that speed is not very much for games anyway. Other tasks, maybe. Anyone seen any different? Curious about this sim specifically.
thanks,
Flyby out
Old 05-17-2011, 02:55 AM
Approved Member

I'm a total newbie to overclocking... just tried it out for the first time last weekend. Took my processor from stock 3.2 GHz to 3.6 GHz very easily, and nothing bad happened to my computer. Tried to go up one more notch to 3.7 and saw my first BSOD. So I'm sticking to 3.6 GHz for now while I educate myself some more.

Ingame, I noticed the slow parts of the Black Death track ran a whopping 3 fps faster. No perceptible difference while actually playing. So my very limited experience so far is that it doesn't actually pay off. Maybe some more experienced overclockers will know better.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Owl View Post
I'm a total newbie to overclocking... just tried it out for the first time last weekend. Took my processor from stock 3.2 GHz to 3.6 GHz very easily, and nothing bad happened to my computer. Tried to go up one more notch to 3.7 and saw my first BSOD. So I'm sticking to 3.6 GHz for now while I educate myself some more.

Ingame, I noticed the slow parts of the Black Death track ran a whopping 3 fps faster. No perceptible difference while actually playing. So my very limited experience so far is that it doesn't actually pay off. Maybe some more experienced overclockers will know better.
You wont get huge improvments just a few percent here and there. Video card OC is the lowest usually so its almost worthless, you just burn up your graphics chip sooner. With video you get best improvement by going up in gpu class.
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Approved Member

I think he talks about CPU overclock. I saw a post somewhere about i7-2600K overclocked and an old CPU, both tested with the same GPU (GTX 580). Sims are rather CPU intensive, so the answer is, yes, in complex simmulations of all kinds CPU overclock usually helps unless the GPU is really the bottleneck. Maybe your specs could help

The thread here:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...t=22448&page=2

Last edited by janpitor; 05-17-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

I have a CPU Intel Core i7-870 BOX(1156/2.93) and a MB Gigabyte P55A-UD6(1156/P55/DDR3). I am interested in overclocking it and if that is possible,in what speed? 3.00 ghz or more? Is there anyone who can give a hint in the internet? Is overclocking going to REALLY help with the performance of the game?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

Well it does pay off if you don't overdo it and burn your CPU or motherboard... it will not matter if the software/game you are running already has acceptable frame-rate... say if you have a "target" of 30fps at any time while playing this sim and default CPU clock gives you 25fps and you know for sure it's the CPU being the bottleneck and limiting you frame-rate and you are able to overclock CPU by 20% you will achieve your 30FPS target.

If you are getting 30+ you don't need to do it as it defeats the purpose of being able to run faster then what you need.

And why it pays off... because to get that 20% faster clocked CPU you'd normally buy more expensive CPU... by overclocking you achieve the same at must lesser cost (you will still need to get better CPU cooling). So you take the benefit into one hand (you get CPU with more calculations per second hence faster frame-rate) and less paying for the same effect by buying lot more expensive CPU. If this is still unclear then I don't know what else to add... to some it's just personal preference... some love to push their hardware to the limit and most are scared to do it because they've never done it and are not so much into knowing how and why the PC works etc and just want to play their game.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Approved Member

In my experience with overclocking it doesn't make much of a difference to games.

By all means try it for yourself, but the percentage gains will be small. Is it worth stressing your entire system, and sometimes stability, for a few more fps? That's up to you.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Approved Member

It can absolutely make a big difference. Especially when you overclock something that is your current bottleneck. However, when you overclock a component that isn't your current bottleneck, you should expect no or minor differences. Besides, there are always certain risks involved and power usage will increase dramatically.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Approved Member

It can make BIG difference.

For good or for bad... if you know what you are doing, is worth it. If not, better stay out.

To do a proper OC needs a lot of reading and understanding... be prepared once you know the minimum stuff for a good amount of tests in your system until you can assure is perfect stable.

To resume in a few lines how one should approach their first OC:

* OC is not only about going up some Mhz in your CPU or GPU speeds. You have to know your system very well and play with many variables in the BIOS, like clock speeds of several components and voltages. The best way to accomplish a succesful overclocking is to join a forum of overclockers of your motherboard.

* Simply because you were able to start windows in a system with a new clock, dont think you're done. You have to assure the stability of the system full loaded (that involves days or weeks of testing), or you risk data corruption and lot of problems and you will complain about the software or the OS, when the blame is yours.

* never, never install anything in a OC state. Switch to normal clocks for installs or risk data corruption very hard to track down.

You see, nothing difficult for us hardcore simmers that like CEM and so... but you have to take it seriously and then it pays off. Let's say you invest a good amount of time in learning, but once you get the skill, you benefit from it forever.

BTW, some stock clocks machines have faults that the average user never notice, until he/she stresses the system enough to show its ugly face, normally in the middle of something... that's why it also pays off to become an advanced user and know how to to test thoroughly even your stock system before doing anything serious whith it.

S!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Approved Member

A PC is a system, RAM, HDD, GFX Card, CPU, PSU, mobo, etc, all of which play a part in the overall performance. OC'ing on its own is not guaranteed to give significant improvements if other parts of the system are underperforming. Bear in mind that overclocking will increase the CPU thermal output (and load on the PSU) and generally requires additional/improved cooling.

Some Mobo and their Bios are better than others and some CPU's more stable than others. Like others have said, read and join a forum that covers your mobo/cpu. There are benefits but there are pitfalls too........