Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if you ALT-TAB out of game the card(s) will power down which may explain why you'll see the clock speeds lower than max.
No, I can monitor the clock while the game is running, I'm not alt-tabbing out. I know the monitors are working (GOU-Z, CCC and MSI) because I can watch everything else change (temp, fan speed, GPU usage etc). MSI also keeps a graph that shows not only what clock speed you're at now, but what the clock speed has been (x axis = time, y axis = speed).
Quote:
Using AMD Overdrive you can force the card(s) to run at full or overclocked speeds all the time no matter what type of app or resolution your using.
How? Please don't guess, only say if you know how to do it.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazon View Post
The main workaround for single-card users at the moment is using a third-party overclocking utility like MSI Afterburner. It has to be a utility that is capable of overriding PowerPlay with custom clock settings. I also found with Afterburner you had to set clocks with a 1Mhz difference to get it to apply.
I have MSI afterburner, but I can't find any setting to override powerplay. I also don't know what you mean by "set clocks with a 1Mhz difference", could you be specific?
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Having exactly the same problem with a single 6850 running the newest drivers. This seems to be a major game-breaking bug, Clocks remains at 300Mhz. Does not matter if I'm playing windowed or fullscreen, thus I get dismal framerates with the game, even on lowest settings.

Quite unacceptable for a game supposedly in development for six years.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Approved Member

With ATI Tray Tools you can create a profile for a game with desired clocks and run it together with the game from a shortcut.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Approved Member

Did everybody skip straight over my post in which I explain exactly how to force maximum clock speeds using CCC?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Approved Member

Some people experiencing this issue had it resolved by checking that the flash player does not have "enable hardware acceleration" checked.

This for some reason in CoD prevented your card running at 3D speeds.

That was my problem, and it runs as intended now.

ATI tools just made my system crash for some reason.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
Just did some quick testing and it would appear at least on the ATI HD4850 the GPU is indeed getting up to full 3D speed, but somehow intermittently at least as indicated by the AMD Resource Monitor. For much of the time it was running at 695 Mhz Core speed and 993 Mhz Memory speed. Intermittently, it appeared to go down to 500 Mhz/750 Mhz, but it certainly was not running at desktop speeds the entire time.
This was the same for me with my 4850.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhowse View Post
Did everybody skip straight over my post in which I explain exactly how to force maximum clock speeds using CCC?
I didn't skip straight over it, but you did put me off:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhowse View Post
P.S. There's a chance you could fry your card, be careful what you change.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 AM
Approved Member

After doing some research, I think I know what the problem is. IL-2 CoD (and apparently IL-2 1946) never technically ran in a proper full-screen mode. They run in a windowed mode that just fills the screen. This can confuse the card, as almost every single 3d game today runs in a full-screen mode.

Looking on www.sukhoi.ru where Luthier posts a little more, he mentioned they are adding a proper full-screen option to the game. This could potentially fix up our issue. I'm not sure if it will be the Friday patch but lets hope so.

The clocks jumping up intermittently during the game is just from mouse activity. Watch the clocks when on the desktop while you move the mouse rapidly. They will jump up there as well.

As I said earlier overclocking in CCC will not work at all. The problem lies with the PowerPlay feature of the cards that dynamically changes the clockspeeds depending on what your PC is doing in order to save power and reduce heat. Overdrive in the CCC does not disable PowerPlay, so the clock issue will still exist.

Information for overclocking with MSI Afterburner for AMD cards can be found here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338906

You only need to set the clocks 1Mhz higher for GPU and Memory to override the default clock settings.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targ View Post
You assumed that I am alt tabbing out of the game. What made you assume that?

Many people with duel GPU cards and crossfire have reported the card does not ramp up to 3D but stays at 2D clock speeds.

I have 2 monitors and keep CCC open on one to monitor while in game.
Well you didn't specify how you knew the card wasn't clocking up

Prior to the beta patch CoD was not using Crossfire or SLI anyway, so the clock speeds wont go up anyway.