Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
yes but DX wont work with windows XP, with the majority of windows 7 users opting for 64bit it would surley make sense to make a 64bit launcher to use all that ram.
True I would guess but seemingly that doesnt mean you can't use dx11 on a 32 bit platform. But then again i'm a layman on this subject so i could be terribly wrong. I have never read anything about DX11 solely needing a 64bit platform. I mean you WOULD NEED a 64bit platform to even start up a 64bit application offcourse not to mention a 64bit cpu

Nowadays 64bit cpu's are mainstream but 64bit platforms are not. I think the gap is still a tad to big. To expect everybody to go OS64bit that is. Its coming no doubt. But will take a while before everybody has jumped over to 64bit.

Hehe I know people who have 6gig ram on their win7 32bit OS :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecke View Post
Why not let the game use all the free amount of ram you have?
I guess that would kill some freezes that are due to caching from HDD.

Yes that would be worthwhile were it not that the game is as far as i know it 32bit.
I might do a fresh reinstall of windows7 64bit and use my sas 15k drive for windows and il2/DCS A-10C only. I know users who were having problems getting DCS A-10C to work fluently switched over to SSD's.

Last edited by kingpinda; 03-29-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hecke View Post
why not let the game use all the free amount of ram you have?
I guess that would kill some freezes that are due to caching from hdd.
+100
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

So COD is running with a 32bit exe at the moment, we have no idea if a 64bit exe is on the way or even planned as yet, but oleg had said for a long time that COD would run in DX9,DX10 and DX11.
Now we know that DX11 has been dropped for the time being due to bugs(maybe) and were only having DX10 for a while.
But that still means a 64bit exe had been worked on or at least planned right?

Im just wondering if we never see that 64bit how its going to affect the future proofing of COD, will there be any point of getting more than 4GB RAM, DX11 GPUs etc etc.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Approved Member

The max amount of ram an 32bit app can use is 4.2GB something. I have never seen any game using more than 1.5GB RAM. I remember seeing ROF using that but in average no game I ever played used more than 1GB.(Guess if Crysis 2 uses more than 1GB ram).
I guess if someone had 2 GB there can be problems since OS take some ram.

If Luthier said 2.6GB is the maximum amount of ram used I don't think people with 4GB can have any problem related with the RAM as long as they keep other apps closed and just running the sim and teamspeak.

For those interested on clearing some ram before playing IL2 COD. There is a software called AlacrityPC. I use it everytime I play games and leaves me 3.7GB free of 4.0GB.
http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
how I will know that all my 12GB of ram is going to be used for pure CLOD goodness and not just 2-3GB of it?
Wow 12 Gb of ram. Sounds like someones trying to compensate for something...
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Approved Member

Quote:
with the majority of windows 7 users opting for 64bit it would surley make sense to make a 64bit launcher to use all that ram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
The game does not need more than 2.6GBs of ram to run, what advantage would you gain from increasing the load on the ram...?
Because with a 32 bit exe you'll struggle to even use 2.6 GBs of ram for CoD. 32 bit gives about 3.5 gig of ram. OS uses some of that, and then my graphics card uses 2 gig, which doesn't leave much for CoD.

If the videos we've seen so far are with a 32 bit exe, and we're to get a 64 bit version soon, it should be good.
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_medina View Post
The max amount of ram an 32bit app can use is 4.2GB something. http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/
Actually think its closer to 3.2 gigs. I actually thought you need to add up your graphics card memory to this pool but seemingly you need to SUBTRACT your graphics card memory from the theocritically 4GIG.

So if you have a 1gig graphics card then your system ram on a 32bit system is somewhere around 3Gigs.

Here is a definition I found: 4GB minus the address space required by addin cards and other hardware equals the MAXIMUM addressable RAM.

So... even if a 32 bit application was able to adress 4.2 gigs worth of ram... that ram would have to be adressable. And we all know that graphics cards these days take heaps of addressable space. 1gigs worth is not that uncommon anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
If the videos we've seen so far are with a 32 bit exe, and we're to get a 64 bit version soon, it should be good.
Are you certain about this? Please post source/link if you please.

Last edited by kingpinda; 03-29-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpinda View Post
actually think its closer to 3.2 gigs. But windows will add your graphics card ram as well. So if you have 1gig graphic card ram then your available ram will say 4.2 gig instead of 3.2 gig if i'm not mistaken.

Are you certain about this? Please post source/link if you please.
2^32=4,294,967,296
Old 03-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_medina View Post
2^32=4,294,967,296
Hehe read my editted post above this is in theory. The adress space needs to be adressable. subtract all the hardware which needs to adress the ram. for instance a 1gig graphics card which isnt that uncommon these days.

and the asking for a link or source is about their being a 64bit launcher for cliffs of dover in the works.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
Wow 12 Gb of ram. Sounds like someones trying to compensate for something...
When IL-2 was released you would have said, "Wow 256 Mb of ram". The point is future-proofing.