Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD Multiplayer

CoD Multiplayer Everything about multiplayer in IL-2 CoD

Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Approved Member

Default New Multiplayer Maps

Hi everyone,

As you probably know by now, Cliffs of Dover will ship with five maps - one large English Channel map with France and England intended for historical missions, and four small multiplayer maps not based on any historical locations meant for less meaningful online free-for-alls.

Our community, being our community, was not entirely happy with this.

We will be happy to create a few simpler maps intended for more meaningful multiplayer modes, that is, something suitable both for FFA and for coop/war modes.

We will work to create these maps quickly, so expect more of a "inspired by xxx" than "meticulously recreated xxx" in terms of historical accuracy.

This is your chance to offer your opinion and ask for content.

The ideas we have so far were:

A. 1/2 or 1/4 version of the "Channel Jump" - scaled down map based on the region around Dover and Calais.

B. Battle of France-esque map focusing on some existing land battle area with airfields from two sides not split by water.

Please sound off on these or suggest your own!

Some details of these future maps:

1. They will not be meticulously historically accurate, nor will they be as detailed as the English Channel map.

2. Their size would ideally be no more than about 100x100 km.

3. They should not require new landscape textures, objects, or trees, i.e. they cannot be desert or snow or jungle.

4. They do not have to be historical. But if they are, they have to make sense with our existing plane set.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Our community, being our community, was not entirely happy with this.
ROFL i had to laugh, its good you have the patience of a saint and humour. kind of

The ideas we have so far were:

A. 1/2 or 1/4 version of the "Channel Jump" - scaled down map based on the region around Dover and Calais.

Deffo im happy with this!

B. Battle of France-esque map focusing on some existing land battle area with airfields from two sides not split by water.

Deffo im happy with this! sounds a great idea!

My suggestion: Use Guernsey and Jersey as bases for LW to take of from to attack SE coastline. (This would mean France not needed to be on the Map.) And Earlier, use them as British mid channel bases for attacking France bases (Therefore no need for SE England to be on the map.)
Some history here for some kind of not quite historic mission possibilities http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupat...hannel_Islands

Some details of these future maps:

1. They will not be meticulously historically accurate, nor will they be as detailed as the English Channel map.

Fine with me so long as its half beleivable, sorry but the fantasy maps included are not beleivable in the slightest.

2. Their size would ideally be no more than about 100x100 km.

Fine.

3. They should not require new landscape textures, objects, or trees, i.e. they cannot be desert or snow or jungle.

Good.

Thanks Luthier for your time, were gonna love the maps dearly, and will be on them all the time online if they are created. I know this for sure.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Approved Member

Even before we have the game we are getting goodies.... thanks Luthier and team, there are some of us here that appreciate all your hard work, even if we aren't as vocal as the doom and gloom merchants.

What I've seen so far is stunning.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Approved Member

Nice that sounds fantastic, but I want to try the normal map before voting on a 1/2 or 1/4 scaled map .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Approved Member

appologies if Guernsey and Jersey are not on the large map and that section of France. I opened my mouth before i spoke..., If that is the case, then maybe we could have the Cherbourge-Octeville bit, with maybe a 5 minute flight to the Isle of Wight/Bournemouth Area. Seems to be 2-3 bases in that area on the brit side at least.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 AM
Approved Member

When flying avarage speed 400 km/h and you have only 100 km road - you will pass 100 km side in 15 minutes. If we will get 2 planes coming 400 km/h from opposite side of map they will meet in 7 minutes of flight.

It would be rather small maps to play and quite claustrophobic but still better then joky island or jurasic maps.

Dont think such was expected by most old IL2 users.

BTW surly not in theme but i wonder also about performacne (speed, climb, turn) of BOB planes in COD. Looking in data and charts in COD manual i see very wrong and inaccurate data for these planes. I thought 1C will make better research and give more effort in these case.

Last edited by Kwiatek; 03-29-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Approved Member

Luthier, thank you for not turning a blind eye, and thank you for making it up for the KGB style release
Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Approved Member

A "Dunkirk" map would be very interesting.

British rear guard actions as the main forces head for the beach.

RAF units fleeing for bases in England under attack by the Luftwaffe.

Attacking the evacuation fleet, or defending it.

Of course it would be nice to have some Armee de l'Air units, say a Curtiss Hawk 75...

(I can dream can't I?)

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Approved Member

I personally think a map with HEAVY defence, i mean LOTS and LOTS of AA and LOTS of fighters backing it up and then the other team has to BOMB the crap out of the cities defences. This but in small scale, so the action is constant.

Constant action = interest for bigginers. Its kind of boring having to fly around for 3 hours to then get into a dog fight and then RUN out of fuel mid way.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 AM
Approved Member

I still dream of 64 vs. 64 Dogfight LW Vs. GB on the large map. If its possible. Full real settings, sometimes finding enemy, sometimes returning to base (navigating by the dodgy compass and local knowledge) low on fuel after a fruitless search. Thats as real as it gets IMHO. And whats its all about.