Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYN_Bliss View Post
I think what Troll2k said is correct. 300-400 Pings in IL2 still kept for a no lag situation online. As long as the server and client both have a constant, stable connection, ping isn't that much of an issue. (at least it wasn't in IL2)

As far as the server specs requirement, IL2 didn't take much of a machine to provide a nice smooth environment (90 players), but in Cliffs of Dover, I would only expect it be a much better machine. With 20x the physics of IL2 alone, I would think CPU power would have to be fairly good for a dedicated machine in the new sim. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Right now I am leaning towards a dual 1156 socket motherboard. Starting out with i7 950's and moving up to hexcore or xeon if need be. Not dead set on the solution yet, still waiting for feedback here and over at overclocking.net
Old 02-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffenator View Post
Right now I am leaning towards a dual 1156 socket motherboard. Starting out with i7 950's and moving up to hexcore or xeon if need be. Not dead set on the solution yet, still waiting for feedback here and over at overclocking.net
You mean 1366. I would suggest waiting for the 1155 socket to sort its problems or some news about the new Bulldozer which are rumored to be announced this month and released in Q2.

Even i5 2500k beats that i7 950, not to mention its price.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM
Approved Member

The Il2 dedicated server software ran in a dos box.No audio,video or inputs.it did not take a lot of horsepower to make a good server.What was needed was a good,stable upload speed of about 4KB per client.

I feel that a lot of problems people had with joining servers with more than 64 people was not the fault of the server but f the client machine.Not necessarily the internet.You have to remember that the client machine has to not only keep track of all 64 players (and objects,triggers etc) but render them as well(at least the planes in view and the textures below).So the client machine had to be pretty stout to run with a lot of planes.

But at the moment this is all speculation until we get the new(and hopefully improved) dedicated server software.

As a side not a couple of sites have changed the preorder date to 3/3/11 (or 3/3/11 for the Europeans).So the server software may be even closer to release.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll2k View Post
The Il2 dedicated server: What was needed was a good,stable upload speed of about 4KB per client.
so can I take it that it will need 16 kbytes upload per client from the server with CoD and therefore roughly 2mb total if you had 128 clients ?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Approved Member

anyone know if there will be a linux dedicated server? i'm not going to run windows in my server environment for something that doesnt generate me any money.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrebel View Post
anyone know if there will be a linux dedicated server? i'm not going to run windows in my server environment for something that doesnt generate me any money.
probably not are you renting server space ?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No601_Merlin View Post
probably not are you renting server space ?
no i have my own private cloud. its just simpler as my environment is entirely linux. plus there is that whole windows license thing.