Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds

King's Bounty: Crossworlds The expansion to the award-winning King’s Bounty: Armored Princess.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Approved Member

Default Worthless spells

List out your worst nightmare:

1) Book of Evil: Any use for 1 time spell cast?
2) Fit of Energy: 3 AP max for 20 mana?
3) Pygmy: Why not use Helplessness?

Almost useless spells:
1) Doom: Some usage but probably better using Helplessness
2) Kamikaze: Used to work well in KB:L, feel like it's reduced to nil now.
3) Peacefulness: At least it's cheap but don't really see its use
4) Avenging Angels: Way too mana costly. Pain mirror is better
5) Life Light: Mana costly and limited usage. Need more range and duration to be effective.
6) Magical Axe: Only better than Ghost Blade in terms of mana at level 1
7) Weakness: Lvl 3 is a mass spell but really don't see any use.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianx View Post
List out your worst nightmare:

1) Book of Evil: Any use for 1 time spell cast?
2) Fit of Energy: 3 AP max for 20 mana?
3) Pygmy: Why not use Helplessness?
I have used Fit of Energy to give solo stacks to attacks per turn, which is nice. I can't recall ever casting Pygmy...

Quote:

Almost useless spells:
1) Doom: Some usage but probably better using Helplessness
2) Kamikaze: Used to work well in KB:L, feel like it's reduced to nil now.
3) Peacefulness: At least it's cheap but don't really see its use
4) Avenging Angels: Way too mana costly. Pain mirror is better
5) Life Light: Mana costly and limited usage. Need more range and duration to be effective.
6) Magical Axe: Only better than Ghost Blade in terms of mana at level 1
7) Weakness: Lvl 3 is a mass spell but really don't see any use.
Life light is a fine spell, you can time efficiently heal two stacks of level 5 units with it... and sure, damage any undead in the area.

Other bad spells: Precision, Berserker, Call of Nature, pain Mirror (good against Archies, but that's it), Poison Spit... I'm sure there are even more.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Approved Member

Why not use Speed instead of of Fit of Energy?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Approved Member

Woo boy, can of worms.

FIT OF ENERGY
I don't use it that much, but I believe Fit of Energy gives you another turn to attack. You never cast it in the beginning. You cast it after your stack has already moved. Think of it like a Second Wind from Paladins. Can be handy for super damaging high critical archers.

PYGMY
Pygmy is perhaps one of the best spells for me.

Pygmy reduces the enemy attack power by a significant amount and lowers the HP, which means you can spell nuke for additional damage.

All your spells will now do 66.6% more damage.

I believe it was... DG? Or perhaps Impy... one of them told me their old combo.

Pygmy + Death Star.

That said, I would sometimes use a stoneskined unit to smash into a pygmied enemy, knowing that their retaliation would be weakened.

Also, Helplessness does you NO good if your attack is +60 over their defense, so you need to use Pygmy to do an additional 66.6% damage over your 200% damage boost from +60 attack over defense.

I would commonly use Pygmy for my Warrior Pure Archer attack team since I would routinely have +60 attack over their defense.

PRECISION
Precision - sometimes this is useful for pure archer teams since it will last longer and lets you hit anyone. If you use a de-buff, you might "overkill" that stack. I agree it isn't that best though.

BERSERKER
Berseker - excellent to use for Demonologists demonic summons.

DOOM
Ok, I agree this is sometimes not as useful especially since I usually have a high critical hit rate. Do not forget though, criticals count as a "bless" spell too!

PEACEFULNESS
Use it with Sacrifice.

LIFELIGHT
Agree with Zechno. You have no idea how awesome this spell is when you roll with the Shrek Team (Ogres, Trolls, and Orc Chieftains).

PAIN MIRROR
Archdemons that Halve you would strongly disagree about the power of Pain Mirror. Agreed that some of my armies can cope with the Archdemons enough so it is not necessary, but some of my armies cannot, and Pain Mirror helps tremendously in that regard.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Approved Member

Why would Life Light be awesome for Shrek team? Care to explain a bit
Old 04-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tianx View Post
Why would Life Light be awesome for Shrek team? Care to explain a bit
Same reason Zechnophobe mentioned. You can heal multiple Level 5s with it.

Admittedly it is a bit more situational than "zomg, this is the Way of the Shrek".

My Shrek Team usually has very high physical resistance, so healing them is quite useful.

I also usually roll with Rune Mages as that is the primary method of revival.

It is not too unusual to have all 3 giant stacks to be hurt. Life Light lets me heal all 3 of them in a single round.

If the enemy got up close to my rune mages too, I can end up healing 4 level 5 units in a single round. Very handy since Warriors cannot doublecast.

Shrek team is usually very fast... fast, strong... and furious. ROAR!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 AM
Approved Member

Worthless spells, hm . . . nice idea but there are so much of them
Ice shards, Poson spit, Shoal of pirana, Earth blades, Stone rain . . . almost all of new spells that used to be Spirits of rage skills. I didnt include Gloths armor, since it`s preety imba against Goblin shamans, or simmilar devastating attacks ( lvl 1 is enough since it can take infinite dmg for 1 turn for 10 only mana)
As for older spells :
Kamikaze, Book of evil, Doom, Avenging angel, Weakness . . . you ppl almost said them all. Ill only say i dont like Plague (usefull only for undead), Necro call, Demon gate - Ilusion is much better, and give you higher leadership worth of units, Hypnotise never use it since Blind/Fear or Ilusion are much better for disabling enemy. I agree it`s good to force enemy to waste their turn, but since it`s leadership related and 90% of enemy have much larger army then mine, i almost never get chanse to use this spell, thus i dont like it
But i cant agree for some of your choices :
Peacefulness - make illusion of some unlimited retaliation unit(Royal griffins, Demon or Black knight with Moro`s item) and put it in middle of enemy army with peacefullness. It will tank tons of dmg while you clear enemy with your main dmg dealers.
Berserk - same as for peacefulness, or for summoned units.
Fit of energy - for some heavy dmg archer/range unit is great but it`s mana cost should be changed for 10/15/20 mana per lvl`s maybe. I use it for Goblins, since they are mostly used with Quick draw they play before Orc/Paladin, so they play their turn, and another with Fit of energy, and then 1 more with Orc commander/Paladin second wind ability`s. If you get lucky unstoppable will happen at least once, so after first turn your goblins have +20 attack thx to Zeroing in. It happened to me but just once goblin attacked 7 times in first round with this tactic.
Precision - i hope `Zechnophobe` was kidding, on 3 lvl it`s mass spell, and gives 30-50% dmg for archers, if you go Trigger and 100% crit chanse this is MUST spell. It gives 75% more dmg when scoring criticall hit : normal dmg 100, 150 with crit. But if you use Precision normal dmg would be 130-150, and that makes 200-225 with crit. If you go all archer team this is spell for you. For only 16 mana (3 lvl) all archer units get great dmg boost.
Pugmy - i like it more then Helplesness. As `ckdamascus` said it have it`s use.On 1 lvl is much better for huge stacks of low lvl enemy units. Helplesness reduce % of defence, and for 1-2 lvl units that almost nothing. Pugmy takes 20% of Hp for 5 mana,which is almost like Soul drain spell lvl 2 witch is 20 mana. Helplesness is great for high defence enemy, but for big stacks of low lvl enemy Pugmy is much better.
Life light - only problem is high mana cost for only healing, if you want to dmg undead there are much better spells. If it resurected units it would be great, but for only healing to much mana. Only usefull when going 5th lvl army
Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Approved Member

Demon Portal can be very good for certain Mage builds. You usually use it so you hope to get Archdemons. I've won a few nifty matches that way. I admit though, I hate the random nature of it and I usually prefer more deterministic spells.

Plague is the only other debuff I would use when Helplessness is not an option (due to +60 attack over defense)... since it works on Black Dragons and other Level 5s (Pygmy does not). So I can lower their HP by -15% AND their attack/defense AND it inflicts a de-buff agains their morale.

Shoals of Pirana is very situational (great on that bridge battle). A lot of those new spells were pretty "worthless".

Ice Orb was marginally useful, but mostly eh.

I agree with Glots Armor, but I also find I am usually better off with using Phantom instead. It isn't always easy to predict who they will use their imba attack on and I usually have trouble when they gang up on a single stack, so glot wouldn't really save me all that much.

I agree with your other sentiments and clarifications.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Approved Member

Precision effects too few units. And generally ones that aren't any good. Hunters? elves? Bowmen? It makes a few mediocre units slightly less so. But I'd much rather have cast a good spell on a good unit.

Demon Portal has its uses, though it is rare. But it is one of those spells that like, once or twice a game, it is 'the answer'. blocks off a movement route, and then adds units.

Healing Light is a spell That I'll cast, oh, 5 or 6 times a game. But each time is incredibly important. It lets me easily beat Zilgadis without losses, and low physical resist gear. It lets me suddenly keep alive two DIFFERENT stacks of dragons that were going to get hurted lots.

Pain Mirror: Yeah, as mentioned it owns the crud out of Archies. One of the most amusing spells in the game. But outside of that... I generally avoid damage ;P.

Fit of Energy allows a unit to take another turn. Imagine you have a stack of red dragons. It flies over and smacks some things, you use your first cast to stone skin it. Then, later, you Fit it for another turn, and it attacks again. Also, since the first 'end of turn' for a unit causes its abilities to click over, you can occasionally use it to get to abilities you need faster, such as Lullabye.

Pygmy is just a bit too expensive for what it does. Helplessness is a great debuff vs level 5's (plague often even more so). Maybe there are forces where Pygmy makes sense, but I haven't used them. If I want to do more damage generally Oil Mist is a better option. Heck even Doom can be better.

Plague: The only debuff that works on black dragons. I don't use it often, but when I use it, it is incredibly powerful. Seriously. It is kinda like Magic Shackles. I don't cast it often, but in certain fights, it wins the battle easily.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Approved Member

I am surprised that of all the new spell they added from the original game to AP and CW, they left out one of the best one "Poison Cloud" from KB:L. It was a quite powerful spell maybe too much so they have to remove it