Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: Crossworlds

King's Bounty: Crossworlds The expansion to the award-winning King’s Bounty: Armored Princess.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Approved Member

warrior's special ability does not work with black knights. Also, it would require 1 extra fight to access a tower in Debir.
I've done it with black knights. As some of you said, it was a bit easier than with droids.
Some things in this game should have been clarified by developers long time ago. For example - Steam armor description says "affects humanoid warriors". and it happily gives bonuses to black knights as well. One can argue that black knights are not humans anymore but still "humanoids" .uff.. Also spells which have different effect on undead and/or demons have this mentioned in their description. Divine armor does not work on undead and there's no mention of it in description. I know a word "divine" is a hint here, but it would save some players (me) frustration.
Check out the black knight's defence in the last screenshot.
It is a result of :
starting defence = 28
nightime operations = +6
belt of winner = +14 (+50% base)
hero = 20+
steam armor = 9 (+30% base)
Moro = 3 (+10% base)
mastery ability = 25 (+90% base)
stone skin = 12 (+40% base)
magic spring = 15
Total of 130+ defence.
Could be increased by another 10 with Titan armor, and, in my game by putting on mithril shield instead of scaly for a total of 150+defence. We know that any defence point which is over 60 higher than opponent's attack is a waste but it looks quite impressive doesn't it?corr
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amelie5.jpg (408.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg amelie6.jpg (407.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg amelie4.jpg (344.1 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by impy; 04-03-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Approved Member

Congrats! I have always wanted to find a good way to use Steam Armor.

You know, some of these questions would all be answered if people combed the Gamer's Edition player manual, which I have linked from my Ultimate Documentation thread, which no one has stickied (but it really should be).

Although, I do agree that most of this should be IN GAME. Why do I need 10 pdfs to support this game?

<coughs>
Regarding Steam Armor, it only affects "short humanoids", of which the list is

"""
Alchemist, Skeleton Archer, Archimagus, Barbarian, Berserker, Black Knight, Archer, Cannoner, Goblin
with the Catapult, Druid, Dryad, Dwarf, Elf, Pathfinder, Sworsman, Guardsman, Goblin, Violent Goblin,
Cavalryman, Imp, Imp the Mocker, Knight, Miner, Necromancer, Orc, Orc the Veteran, Peasant, Pirate, Old
salt, Priest, Inquisitor, Robber, Marauder, Shaman, Skeleton, Vampire, Werewolf Elf, Ancient Vampire,
Zombie, Decaying Zombie, Demoness, Wood Fairy, Lake Fairy, Foreman, Paladin, Demonologist
"""

Regarding Undead
"""
Immunity to some spells (Bless, Revival, Armour of the God, Victim, Weakness),
to talents (Vampirism, Dance of Edges, Gobble up a Corpse, Second Breath) and features Absorption of Soul,
to effects (Bleeding, Furiousness, Curse).
Spells Treatment and Life Light cause a loss.
The plague does not influence undead parameters, gives +1 Morals.
"""

I don't know if anyone created an updated manual for Crossworlds. The Warrior Counter-attack seems to simply not work with undead. It does work with quite a few humanoids, and their definition expands far more. e.g. it works on my Shrek team.

Or in other words, it works with LARGE humanoids too.

Or, in case someone does not get it by now, it works on trolls, ogres, and orc chieftain as well.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for the info. When I meet a troll I tell him he is one of us
well, dear ckdamascus, seems that we ended in this discussion alone
I was thinking about playthrough with ancient vampires. No crazy challenges (hopefully it will be challenging enough), just nice game with vampires only.
So I want to ask - has anybody tried it? Can they be made self sufficient with their drain ability? I guess with very occasional use of eviln it can be done...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:34 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy View Post
Thanks for the info. When I meet a troll I tell him he is one of us
well, dear ckdamascus, seems that we ended in this discussion alone
I was thinking about playthrough with ancient vampires. No crazy challenges (hopefully it will be challenging enough), just nice game with vampires only.
So I want to ask - has anybody tried it? Can they be made self sufficient with their drain ability? I guess with very occasional use of eviln it can be done...
Haha indeed. But I wonder what height we have to be to qualify as "short humanoid" for King's Bounty? Hmmmmmm I'm 5'7"....

I did ancient vampires in the Champion Arena campaign. I can't say I did it with no-loss though haha, and the game mechanics are clearly different in that game.

It probably is possible since the key features of beating the living daylights out of bosses is no-retaliation (ranged and/or special melee) OR insane firepower (aka Black Knights).

I suppose the resurrection/resistance bit is pretty important too.

I'm sort of scared to think of more combinations. I love this game, but I fear of losing myself in it again.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Approved Member

Hm . . . ancient vampires playthrough. not bad idea, but it`s possible you`ll have problems getting enough vampires to restock your army. I played this game for some time now (what an understatement and rarely have found some reasonable amount of ancient vampires, to be useful before finishing quest for Mysticus and having chance to change normal vampires to upgraded version. On other hand solo BK or droid playthrough no problem since they can be found in almost unlimited quantities (BK from Moro Dark, or castle in undergroung in Montero, and droids almost anywhere on Montero in hordes).
And Warrior`s counterstrike not working with undead would make solo ancient vampires boring, even more since they dont get any bonuses like black knights, and crippled from lack of beneficial spells.
All in all, really unbalanced race to race up`s and down`s.

Last edited by Fatt_Shade; 04-16-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Approved Member

Well, i still intend to go ahead with vampire play through at some point. Beauty of all challenges lies in the fact that there is not only one way to achieve it. Shall you go with max criticals for vampires to leech as much as possible? Or max defense with steam armor, belt of the winner etc? Or max resistances? You would obviously like all of it but due to limited amount of slots you can't. As for getting sufficient amount of vampires i guess one would have to kite to Nameless, do not pick up anything in process , just to get vampires, come back to debir and start properly. I also do not think it would be boring. Since every enemy army consists of mixture of units, one needs to plan ahead the order of killings. For example - kill first non leechable units = undead, cyclops etc. or save really weak units for when vampires numbers drop and one can do massive leeching = bowmen, gobots etc. Or kill one non leechable then one leechable etc in order to keep numbers consistenly high..
Old 04-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

Wow, the steam armor works on non-dwarves? Seriously? I thought it was pretty obvious that it worked only on Dwarves. I mean, those are 'short humanoids' right?

That makes it a much better item. Though... still probably not worth it.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Approved Member

I have not tried it personally, just following the ckdamascus list above about units affected by steam armor. Why shouldn't it be good? The otherwise terrible drawback = -1 speed can be easily offset by belt of winner or adrenaline skill. Besides vampires in their bat form have speed of 5, so even reduction to 4 i find acceptable.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by impy View Post
I have not tried it personally, just following the ckdamascus list above about units affected by steam armor. Why shouldn't it be good? The otherwise terrible drawback = -1 speed can be easily offset by belt of winner or adrenaline skill. Besides vampires in their bat form have speed of 5, so even reduction to 4 i find acceptable.
Eh, only +8 defense and +8 attack? I guess that is a decent chunk. Now if only it worked on some Level 5s....

Hmmm it works on the overpowered Veteran Orcs though... hm. Too bad they cannot be resurrected easily.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdamascus View Post
Eh, only +8 defense and +8 attack? I guess that is a decent chunk. Now if only it worked on some Level 5s...
Come on, for 5th lvl units ? Asking for to much now
I agree , it`s great item for 3-4 lvl units cause %, but if you use 1-2lvl not so useful. For me best option for Steam armor are : Paladin/Knight, Orc veteran/Trackers, Black knigh/Ancient vampires and Demonolog/Demoness high basic attack/defense.
Funny thing, Steam armor is native dwarf race but is least useful for them. Dwarf and Foreman almost never used units and it doesnt effect droids, so only units that benefit from dwarf race are Mechanic/Alchemist
All in all good item, and -1 speed is not so big problem with Adrenaline skill, or 1 cast of Mass haste.

Last edited by Fatt_Shade; 04-14-2011 at 08:12 PM.