Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Cryostasis > Technical issues

Technical issues Everything about technical problems and issues

Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb Widescreen support [pictures inside]

Cryostasis supports widescreen resolutions, but it seems it was developed with 4:3 aspect ratios in mind (1024x768, 1600x1200...). In other aspect ratios, i.e widescreen resolutions, there are less things displayed than in 4:3. Proper widescreen support means "more things to see on the sides", unfortunately that's not what we get here

The attached pictures were taken while playing on a 16:10 monitor. You can't change the aspect ratio value in the game options. However I used @r.aspectratio in config.cfg to make sure that the proper aspect ratio was selected with each resolution :

@r.aspectratio = 1.333333 for 4:3
@r.aspectratio = 1.600000 for 16:10
@r.aspectratio = 1.777777 for 16:9

Open each picture and look for yourself. Here's what you get when you compare 4:3 and widescreen, and how it should look for proper widescreen support :

1) WORLD : you don't see more of the right wall, and you see less of the ground and ceiling.
Vert- i.e smaller vertical Field Of View (FOV), same horizontal FOV.
Should be Hor+ instead i.e "same vertical FOV, wider horizontal FOV".

2) PLAYER : you see as much of the left arm and rifle, but they take less vertical space.
Hands and weapon stretch horizontally. The rifle's sight is a circle in 4:3 but turns to an ellipse in widescreen.
Everything should look the same as in 4:3 in all aspect ratios.

3) HUD (thermometer) : a perfect circle in 4:3, an ellipse in widescreen.
Same as the rifle's sight, it's stretched in widescreen.
It should be a circle, all 2D elements should look the same as in 4:3.

So even if you *can* play in 1920x1200 or 1920x1080, you will actually see *less* of the world than if you were playing in 1600x1200 or 1024x768 !

I tried to edit the config.cfg, autoexec.cfg and init.cfg files a lot, but I couldn't find anything to alter the FOV. Settings like r.view, r.viewkoef, r.fov, c.fov, r.fovyscale have no effect - I don't know anything about scripting and programming though.

So, dear folks at 1c and 505 Games, are there any plans to implement real widescreen support in Cryostasis ?
Is there any chance that we'll get "Hor+" gameplay in widescreen ?
I'm sure it's pretty easy to fix, all gamers would appreciate it, and it would allow me to describe the game in detail on the WSGF so that it gets all the publicity it deserves
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cryostasis 4.3 (1024x768).jpg (91.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg cryostasis 16.10 (1280x800).jpg (122.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg cryostasis 16.9 (1360x768).jpg (126.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Approved Member

This doesn't seem like that much of a big deal, I just wish the game was developed with all ratios in mind.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Approved Member

There is a file , init.cfg , with some parametres about the fov in

Program Files\505games\1C\Cryostasis\Data\Scripts

r.fov 80
//r.fovyscale 1
r.fovweapon 54
c.fov 80
Old 03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztorm View Post
I tried to edit the config.cfg, autoexec.cfg and init.cfg files a lot, but I couldn't find anything to alter the FOV. Settings like r.view, r.viewkoef, r.fov, c.fov, r.fovyscale have no effect
I had already searched for a way to fix this in the PhysX benchmark by the way. Just like in the game, there are loads of config settings, but they don't help