Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Approved Member

Wolverine you also tangled with me and my squadmates from 5./JG27 last night. You really gave the four of us a run for our money. You killed my TG and put some holes in my aircraft before my wingmen could get you off of me. I think you even managed to damage one of the 109's prior to getting shot down yourself. We all made it back to base but the Luftwaffe is short one TG and some aircraft are in maintenance right now. We were all commenting on how this Spit driver actually knew his stuff. I tried killing your motor via nose bunting but it didn't seem to have much effect on your bird. Good fight and I look forward to sending some lead your way in the future.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Approved Member

Excuse me if I'm slightly off-topic as this is from IL-2, I posted this at the UBI forums in 2004, but it still is one of the single best online experiences I've had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellonet
Just had one of the best online experiences ever!
I was on greater green flying for red. After a unsuccessful flight in a I-16 where I collected 0 points and had to ditch after my tanks were emptied, in friendly territory though, I decided to have a go in the P-40M.
First try.. braked too hard when taxing and dipped the prop in the ground
I started up again and made a nice takeoff with flaps @ 210 kph climbing quickly. I then headed west towards the fighting. When I saw tracer fire I flew towards it and wohoo.. the best(as in fun) fight I was ever in 109s and various allied planes flying all around.. very nice to see that the 109s alternated tactics and didn't just keep to BnZ exclusively.
I flew around for some 10-15 minutes and scoring kills both in the vertical and horizontal
At the end I Was behind a 109 in a low altitude turn-fight and firing when suddenly - "Out of ammo" - Damn! Not now!
I was afraid that if I just broke the pursuit the 109 would get on my tail.. so I kept with him until I was turned towards east and my airfield, I broke off fast and pushed the throttle to full WEP, I dove down to the deck and just ran like... something really fast
On the way home I was turning slightly left and right to check my six - no one there. I pulled up a bit and there it was right infront of me.. the airfield! - I was lined up perfectly.. I lowered my flaps and leaned back on the throttle.. was gliding in for a perfect landing..
- Pam Pam Pam! Tracers flying past my windscreen.. flaps up! Throttle full, roll to the right and turn! I looked back over my shoulder. It was one of those pesky 109s - Where did he come from?!
I realized that I had to make him think I still had ammo and I engaged him in a turn fight. My War Hawk had the upper hand and I was beginning to catch up to him when he apparently pulled the stick to hard. I saw him loose speed and then he just smashed his Messerschmidt into the ground breaking off the right wing in the process.
I was home free.. went in for a landing slightly askew but compensated with the rudder.. put my baby down gently with flaps @ 160 kph. rolled to a stop in the grass beside the runway. I breathed out loudly. I was alive!

And 400 points richer

- Yellonet
Old 07-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojovtx View Post
Wolverine you also tangled with me and my squadmates from 5./JG27 last night. You really gave the four of us a run for our money. You killed my TG and put some holes in my aircraft before my wingmen could get you off of me. I think you even managed to damage one of the 109's prior to getting shot down yourself. We all made it back to base but the Luftwaffe is short one TG and some aircraft are in maintenance right now. We were all commenting on how this Spit driver actually knew his stuff. I tried killing your motor via nose bunting but it didn't seem to have much effect on your bird. Good fight and I look forward to sending some lead your way in the future.
Yep, it was a great time!

In that particular encounter, I was flying towards the French coastline when I spotted some aircraft in the distance. I was angling towards them when a 110 zoomed overhead of me. It couldn't have been more than 500ft or so away and kept going. I must have been hidden under the nose of your plane or else you'd have had all your nose guns on me.

We danced a while and I got some good hits, but your manoevers were good so I had to spend a lot more time managing the RPMs than lining up shots. At that point, though, my Spit had the advantage since we'd both lost a lot of energy and as long as I didn't stall it, I'd be able to keep on you. Your squadmates did a great job of lining me up. I try to keep a good situational awareness, but the first indication of your wingmen was bullets in my elevator.

I'm not exactly sure how it ended. I was doing evasives after getting hit (my plane was still functioning). I seem to recall doing an 'up and away' turn after gaining some speed and blowing past a 109 coming right at me. I lost a wing but I wasn't sure what happened to the 109. Did we collide or did he take the wing off with cannon?

Also in response to whether or not the 109 I shot down was flown by a human, yes it was. The stukas probably not. The 109 definitely. We chatted a little about the encounter just after it happened.

--

Great posts from everyone else in this thread. Combat pilots recounting their fights are always interesting to listen to - real or simulated. Let's hear some more!

Also, can't stress enough how much having a good flight model changes this game. I compare CloD more to FSX with guns than IL-2 1946. Flying the A2A Accusim Spitfire in FSX prepared me very well for taking the stick in CloD. If you're still having problems with the game (performance, bugs, what have you) I really recommend picking up the A2A Accusim Spit for FSX if you don't already have it. Absolutely worth the money and a great training ground for when CloD is cooked enough to your taste.

Last edited by bw_wolverine; 07-29-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

Default Nice to read these experiences

I am glad to see some people reporting their enjoyment of COD. Before it was released in the US, I was reading all the horror stories and was really wondering if I should get the game or not...but I had been reading the forums for so long and had waited to see the game for so long, that I had to buy it. And I am glad I did. I only have been playing/practicing as a single pilot, not on-line, and as I have used the sim, read the manual, tweaked my system to improve performance, I have come to really look forward to playing the game when I get home at night...even squeezing in some training at lunch time, if I can...I have found COD to be very good and clearly it will be great as time goes by.
I have been a pilot for over 15 years and I fly a warplane replica (StuKa). I am used to being bounced around in the cockpit (although I like the smooth days better) and I feel that the simulation of flight in this game is about as close as you can get to the real thing...no game will ever achieve the sensation, of course. So...I am not a drooling fanatic but neither am I a insatiable critic...I just want to express my satisfaction with what has been delivered so far and to encourage the developers to continue their excellent work.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronWastelan View Post
Dogfight servers: the panacea of air combat. No need to concern yourself with procedures, orders or mission objectives. Simply manage your CEM, SA and gunnery. I also found it addictive for more years than I care to admit.
It's also a lot of fun to participate in something a little more regimented like an online war, with multiple squadrons cooperating in real time. But sometimes it's fun to throw that out the window and go on a frei jagd.

I don't think any online war could drag me back to il2fb. Under the rough exterior this game is leagues ahead of il2.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw_wolverine View Post
He's over-rev'd his DB engine
FAIL!

lol..Good post mate
Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Approved Member

Please lets not have this thread devolve into yet another debate about what is or isn't ready/right with the game.

Let's hear some more tales of valor in the sky!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw_wolverine View Post
Please lets not have this thread devolve into yet another debate about what is or isn't ready/right with the game.

Let's hear some more tales of valor in the sky!
Well it's not necessarily a tale of valor but the Bf 109 flight model actually seems a lot better than the model in FB. Using the climb advantage against spits and hurris actually works, and the elevators don't lock up at 400 km/h.

Today some silly Spitfire pilot chased me up to about 6500m. At that altitude the performance gap is quite evident, as I literally flew circles around him.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
A few nose down maneuvers were unsuccessful, damn the forum-whiners that removed this from the British aircraft!
I was unaware that the fuel starvation in a negative G maneuver has been removed from the British aircraft, can someone confirm this?

JD
AKA_MattE
Intel X25-M 160GB SSD
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB
MSI R7970 OC
ATI Catalyst 12.3
KINGWIN Mach 1 1000W
COOLER MASTER HAF 932

MajorBoris
"Question: Do you forum more than you fly?"

raaaid
"i love it here makes me look normal"
Old 07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugdriver View Post
I was unaware that the fuel starvation in a negative G maneuver has been removed from the British aircraft, can someone confirm this?

JD
AKA_MattE
AFAIK It's still in the game. Haven't flown the RAF birds in a few weeks but as of the latest patch you still sputter when nosing down. It takes a few seconds of continual negative Gs before it'll cut completely tho