Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:45 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

Yeah, but getting shot down five times in a row by folks that clearly have inferior skills just because they got the better plane, higher numbers and the tactically superior position gets annoying quickly.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

I am absolutely terrified to fly if the opposing side has more than 3 player (or percent) advantage in numbers. In fact, if teams suddenly shift, I rtb. But I wouldn't dream of demanding that other players join my side just so I could feel at ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtD View Post
Yeah, but getting shot down five times in a row by folks that clearly have inferior skills just because they got the better plane, higher numbers and the tactically superior position gets annoying quickly.
True, true. Five times is just criminal. However, after long research, I've got the solution figured out: if things go sour, you could change your plane, airfield, team, server, mind, game and/or activity. There's always another day, and things will be different.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Il-2 enthusiast & Moderator

My own very long research has lead me to the same conclusion. It's either a very odd coincidence, or we found something that's true.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

Don't just go truckin in against five times your number. Skirt around the edges and pick off the unwary. Fly deeper into their territory when the swarm converges and expects to catch you heading home. Enjoy the chat bar messages as they try to figure out where you are and where you will turn up next. Get some height and pounce on the slow ones who have travelling towards the front and still climbing for altitude. Watch your ammo and go for maiming shots rather than kills. Honestly, it's the most fun you can have.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Don't just go truckin in against five times your number. Skirt around the edges and pick off the unwary. Fly deeper into their territory when the swarm converges and expects to catch you heading home. Enjoy the chat bar messages as they try to figure out where you are and where you will turn up next. Get some height and pounce on the slow ones who have travelling towards the front and still climbing for altitude. Watch your ammo and go for maiming shots rather than kills. Honestly, it's the most fun you can have.
As a server admin its no good but if you're just a player on the server and you go in with a "I'm probably not going to survive this so lets just go with it attitude" then yeah that can be interesting and perhaps entertaining.

One day I did get a whole line of guys chasing me... in one instance it was easily 7 or 8 fighters lined up behind. I was slightly faster so I was banking back and forth trying to get the whole lot of them to bunch up. I got 3 or 4 "kills" that way. Eventually they still got me
Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Approved Member

While playing Rise of Flight, I once travelled way across the lines in a creaky old Re-8. I suddenly realised I'd wandered into an area surrounded by enemy airfields and could see aircraft taking off from each. In the end I quickly side slipped and landed unseen in a small field and taxied up to a stand of trees, and waited until they'd passed. Was great fun to be able to get away with it.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

Historically, axis pilots in WWII often flew vastly outnumbered, but that does not mean that 21st century gamers would enjoy it or be able to pull it off.

The Golden Rule comes up. I personally know a WWII pilot that strafed a German airfield and shot up taxiing fighters etc., but I won't do human sim pilots that way as it is no challenge for me and no fun for them. If they draw first blood though I can give it back to them.

Recently I landed some hits on a P-38 I could only catch up with because of a altitude advantage and got it smoking really good before running out of ammo. I was flying an aircraft slower than all others on the server so with no ammo was out of options and decided to land. The smoking P-38 killed me as I was taxiing as if it was any sort of feather in their cap for doing so, quite the opposite in fact.
I don't mind letting aircraft land that have missing controls or are leaking oil etc.., but if it seems over-important for them to kill me, I return the favors.

Shoulder-shooters have always been a pet-peeve and they are closely related to point-whores. The Shoulder-Shooter has no thoughts about anything but themselves, it is hooray-for-them screw-you all the way. Since they are so thirsty for action I often give it to them. When friendly tracers whiz by my aircraft towards a target that is in my sights, I shoot down the shoulder-shooter and take the hit in points or a ban from the server.

I have to be very bored to fly on servers with open-cockpit, outside views or padlock or other unrealistic crutches poor and stupid pilots need. On hard settings a good and smart pilot can execute strategies that can put him on equal footing with a stronger numerical opponent. If some douchebag can find my location and altitude by hitting a few buttons, or if they never had the passion to learn tactics or making blind lead shots, then they are simply gamers and don't deserve to fly with anyone who is serious about what they are doing.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Approved Member

Bah, no serious flight will ever come from dogfight servers.

This game downfall came when DF servers got the upperhand against coops and online wars.

It changed from long term groups sharing a side in a long term war, against individual fliers pleasing themselves.

It finally ended as an airquake. No more online wars, and people in general shun coops.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Bah, no serious flight will ever come from dogfight servers.

This game downfall came when DF servers got the upperhand against coops and online wars.

It changed from long term groups sharing a side in a long term war, against individual fliers pleasing themselves.

It finally ended as an airquake. No more online wars, and people in general shun coops.
It was around the time CooPs were encrypted on the mission transfer.

Killed off CooP hosts due to the inability to host missions in their cache from other hosts.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumoschwanz View Post
I have to be very bored to fly on servers with open-cockpit, outside views or padlock or other unrealistic crutches poor and stupid pilots need.
Or, you have to prefer the stock game and live in a timezone where only "poor and stupid" servers are populated in the evenings.
Closed Thread