Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Approved Member

Default Point Whores etc....

Point whores. Those who put points before all other objectives.

The maps I like to fly on usually have a mix of AI and human pilots flying around trying to destroy my ground assets, my vehicles, airfields and ships. I can't bring myself to land points as long as I have fuel and ammo. It is not uncommon to see me kamikaze into an enemy bomber, fighter or ground target instead of landing a spent aircraft.

The most pathetic are those who break out of a furball they have been throwing shots in and throw their landing lights on, thinking that is a free pass to fly home and land, sorry.

There are those who use Teamspeak as a tool for point-whoring too. Announcing over a general channel that "I am out of Ammo" or that they are hurt and are going to land now, often the same person that just blasted someone on final approach to their own landing strip out of the air. Screw you.

If I get someone smoking heavily or knock their controls off, usually I break off the attack and save the ammo and effort for the next objective, but if the target is a known point whore, I will certainly keep firing until the only way they are getting down is as a fireball.

On another note, I just tried to join a server that was still flying 4.07, what is up with that?
My theory: Since Mods have divided and destroyed the IL2 community that used to always fly the same patch, and also since mods have made IL2 installation more confusing and likely to crash than ever, there are those who simply said screw-it and stopped following new patches and add-ons period, and are sticking with what they know works.

Point whores are lame, non-official Mods and hacks are still lame, Flying on easy settings is gaming and not simming.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:23 AM
Approved Member

You should try the popular mod servers, Skies of Valor, Spit109 HSFX or Warbirds - all your probs will gone.
If you intentionally ram, you'll be gone too though.

And btw, those are closed cockpit servers, so it maybe not your cup of tea.

lol
Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 AM
Approved Member

Il-2 Sturmovik is a game for ages eight and over. It's a good idea to try and be tolerant of different people's peculiarities when playing online as you can never tell who they might be.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:42 PM
Approved Member

You mean they are not all WW2 aviation experts
with a wall to wall library room full of books about the war
and every piece of military hardware that was involved in it
and actual pilots anecdotal evidence backing up their favorite plane,
it beat everything, scenario.

Surely you jest sire............

I demand a chart immediately.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
You should try the popular mod servers, Skies of Valor, Spit109 HSFX or Warbirds - all your probs will gone.
Skies of Valor is pretty good, doesn't have many "point whores" as Jumo describes them, but there are quite a few pilots who don't mind joining the team that's bigger already to get their favourite plane, and who tend to choose the easy to fly planes even though they're experienced players while the novice players struggle in Wildcats and early Soviet planes.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Approved Member

Agh. Ugh. For what it's worth, Skies of Valor seems to have an interesting map rotation and flexible enough planeset. However, the problem is not only the padlock, but padlock with own externals and enemy externals combined. Three strikes innit.

Players are pretty much never the root of a given problem, it's the settings & maps nine cases out of ten. The only real problem are teamkillers (it can happen as an accident, too) or people who recklessly waste limited planes, such as Me 262s. Some maps have plane limits, and for good reason.

People who join the "bigger" team may seem like a drag, but maybe they are just loyal to their colour, nothing wrong with that. It's just unfortunate that there aren't enough players for the other side at that time.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janosch View Post
People who join the "bigger" team may seem like a drag, but maybe they are just loyal to their colour, nothing wrong with that. It's just unfortunate that there aren't enough players for the other side at that time.
I have a huge problem with that actually. It's not great to join a server where one team has 30 players and the other has just 12. It quickly goes from challenge to utter devastation. I don't mind so much if the numbers are 24 and 21... no big deal but the folks who join and blindly pick their favourite side are a problem to a functioning and healthy server.

I've kicked guys before because they joined blue or red, wouldn't switch. Then they come back and ask why they were kicked and then they tell me "Well I only fly blue/red". I'm sorry but for the fun of everyone its no good if people only fly one "colour" and refuse to join the other.

I don't mind too much if there is a preference when the teams are fairly even.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Approved Member

Back when I used to host a lot I had to kick people who came in to a Pacific Theater mission, one that was clearly labeled as such, and then whine and moan about there not being any FW 190s, and then demanding that I take the server down and add them ASAP.

"Our squad only flys the FW 190!"

Tough luck pal.

I had this happen with the same bunch twice.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 01-29-2014, 07:04 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
"Our squad only flys the FW 190!"
I'll never understand people who cling to a single series of planes. There's so many planes in the sim to enjoy at this point, and it's not like learning to operate at least somewhat well requires an enormous time investment. I can understand a squad having a plane of preference if they are based on a real unit, but surely they'd be capable of flying something else "out-of-character" if the situation called for it? Having a favourite plane is okay - refusing to touch anything else is lunacy.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
I have a huge problem with that actually. It's not great to join a server where one team has 30 players and the other has just 12.
I really like being outnumbered. It adds to the suspense and makes each victory much more rewarding.
Closed Thread