Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Controls threads

Controls threads Everything about controls in CoD

Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for your reply SEE.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speculum jockey View Post
Instead of making a setup that tracks three infrared lights, just mount a few to shine towards you (high output LED's if possible) and just make your own reflective clip instead. That way you don't have to have a bunch of wires hanging from your head, and the LED setup could run off of a power source other than batteries. (think replacing one of those USB LED lamps with an IR one).
I think it worth mentioning possible safety issue here. It is not good for your eyes to look at infrared light source. If you do reflective setup, make sure the LED's are not infrared.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBlaster View Post
I think it worth mentioning possible safety issue here. It is not good for your eyes to look at infrared light source. If you do reflective setup, make sure the LED's are not infrared.
I guess it wouldnt work without ir led's.I think the Trackir camera uses ir led's that the reflective clip,well reflects.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Approved Member

Just a thought, WOP (which is only 12 months old) supports both TIR and FT so I guess it must use the older 'non encrypted interface'. May be CoD will be similar, we will have to wait and see. Without a definitive answer from the Dev's we are all pretty much guessing.

Last edited by SEE; 02-11-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Approved Member

To clarify what I was thinking. In a reflective setup you would use reflective tape instead of LED's in your headset. The light source would be at the camera. That's the direction I thought SpecJock was going in his comment. So, you would not want to use infrared led under that design, because it would be pointed towards you instead of away from you, and you would get eye damage.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
To clarify what I was thinking. In a reflective setup you would use reflective tape instead of LED's in your headset. The light source would be at the camera. That's the direction I thought SpecJock was going in his comment. So, you would not want to use infrared led under that design, because it would be pointed towards you instead of away from you, and you would get eye damage.
Normal IR LEDs are incapable of damaging your eyes, they do not emit the power or wavelength required to heat anything.

The average hand held video camera with "night-vision" has IR LEDs, with no safety concerns being raised.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
Swiss, as I understood it the FT hacks from the NP coding.

Not having the TIR camera available for use with the FT software is the other end of the stick and irrelevent.
"FT hacking" is irrelevant to the issue of games exposing or not exposing the head control axes, which is of far greater importance. This is especially true, as the claim of "hacking" only involves the formatting of a trivial string, for legal rather than functional purposes.

If NP wants to re-invent the wheel, and create it's own super-dooper-ultra-special method of getting six generic, run-of-the-mill axes into a game, then good for them. It's their (sometimes successful) attempts to get the game devs to hide the head control axes that are unacceptable, and anti-competitive.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBiSoMeM View Post
You understood nothing.

NP "coding" is nothing. The math behind tracking 3 points in space is free, old and simple.

Why NP sell overpriced hardware? Because people like to waste money in 2011 and don't have so much manual skill and are lazy, and use the oldest excuse "I don't have time and have plenty of money". Thank's God this kind of people don't move the world.

Why we don't see Freetrack support in all games with HT? Because NP uses pathetic commercial practices, and devs can't even answer simple questions - like IL-2:CoD devs - about Freetrack support.

I'm tired about all this kind of thing. A shame, ridiculous, etc. Of course IL-2:CoD will have TrackIR support, but why ANY of the devs can't write A LINE about Freetrack support? KGB?
no, I don't misunderstand, sport... NP have every right to protect their efforts... does FT have its own module that developers can put into their product, or does FT still rely on pulling information out of NP's module?

It's agressive defense like yours which kills your own argument
Old 02-11-2011, 02:09 AM
Approved Member

Wow, almost all the threads here end up with a huge off topic discussion.Is it so hard to stay on topic?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
Swiss, as I understood it the FT hacks from the NP coding.

Not having the TIR camera available for use with the FT software is the other end of the stick and irrelevent.
Actually, FT has it's own interface and just collects and transmits positional data. In older games that only support trackIR but use an old unlocked version of the naturalpoint API, FT transmits that data through the naturalpoint interface.

It's similar for FS2004/FSX, where FT feeds its data to microsoft's simconnect interface.

As for the newer games that use a locked version of the NP API it's up to the developers to enable native FT support. An example of this is ArmA2.

So, long story short, FT is perfectly capable of interfacing directly and on its own with any game, as long as the game developers let it do so.

Quote:
Are you sure about this? IR wavelengths carry less energy than our everyday normal, visible light. It should probably be completely harmless, as going out on a sunny day or simply driving at night and seeing the headlights of the cars on the opposite lane would bombard you with light radiation of a much higher energy than a couple of IR leds.