Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 03-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Approved Member

Default Upgrade to better GPU or to SSD?

I'm seriously considering upgrading for this game. I'd like to know what people think would be a better upgrade for me:

CURRENT SPEC (nothing is overclocked):
Intel i7 940 2.93gHz
nVidia Geforce GTX 260
HDD 10,000rpm Raptor
4 GB Ram Corsair

Price is a factor, but only insomuch as the SSD upgrade would be cheaper to get a top line one vs a top line graphics card (I think). If the performance increase to cost ratio is further in the graphics card direction, that's the way I'd go.

Just curious what people think.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Hecke

Definately GPU. SSD won't help the game.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw_wolverine View Post
I'm seriously considering upgrading for this game. I'd like to know what people think would be a better upgrade for me:

Intel i7 940 2.93gHz
nVidia Geforce GTX 260
HDD 10,000rpm Raptor
4 GB Ram Corsair

Price is a factor, but only insomuch as the SSD upgrade would be cheaper to get a top line one vs a top line graphics card (I think). If the performance increase to cost ratio is further in the graphics card direction, that's the way I'd go.

OC your CPU (invest some money in a good cooler) and SSD of course.
I have one and it's a whole new experience overall, not just for gaming.
GPU can came later.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Approved Member

i've got a gtx280, and it just doesn't cut it for this game.

getting a gtx560ti v soon, which runs it nice.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Approved Member

S!

GPU and RAM. RAM is cheaper and apparently is the most affecting performance in this game...

You did not say what your OS, but it must, without doubt, be the Win7

SP!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Approved Member

Don't buy anything till the patch comes out and folks benchmark the game and figure out where the bottleneck is. We don't know at this point where the delays are originating with the new build. It could be hard-drive, CPU, GPU or anything at this point.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 PM
Approved Member

4Gb ram with i7 940? Aren't they all supposed to be tripple channel?
You should fix that first I guess
Old 03-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw_wolverine View Post

Intel i7 940 2.93gHz
nVidia Geforce GTX 260
HDD 10,000rpm Raptor
4 GB Ram Corsair

I am going to wait, wait and wait. A lot of issues are going to be the norm for the next month or more. You can rely on it.

Already, there is patch because exhaust causes fps drop. There are going to be more anomalies similar to this that will cause ongoing issues. One that comes to mind is the forcefeedback problems so many are having. I know the FF will be fixed, but it may take longer than expected.

Don't panic, or work things up. It is just a fact, patches must come.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28_Condor View Post
S!

GPU and RAM. RAM is cheaper and apparently is the most affecting performance in this game...

You did not say what your OS, but it must, without doubt, be the Win7

SP!
Where did you get the notion that RAM is most affecting performance? Back in the old day higher clocked mem meant alot. Nowadays its neglectable. Or if you were talking about gigs of RAM? the game only uses 2.x gig tops... Most computers have 3 or 4 gig I think. It being a 32 bit application more than 4Gig of ram is overkill.

In my opinion harddrive and cpu are the most common bottlenecks in these types of games. Offcourse you shouldnt use a 6600gt graphics card but a 4870 ati with 1gig should in most cases suffice.

I am planning to do a reinstall of win7 and use my sas 15k rpm drive for windows and il2/dcs A-10C. SSD might be on my wishlist soon but i'll try the 15K drive first. Because il2 not utilizing all memory even if you have win7 64 bit and 12 gigs of mem means it will use the HDD. And we all know that a 7200 HDD is the bottleneck on all systems.

Furthermore this game is not fully optimized for multithreading/multiple cores. sigh... DCS A-10C has this problem as well..

So if you have the option to choose between a dualcore with higher speed or a quad/octa core with lower speed of the same type, then the dualcore is a better investment. offcourse be aware of cpu throttling that exists nowadays. some types throttle higher than others.

edit: For any of you guys using multiple screens, touchscreens, eyefinity etc... What we discovered on the A-10C forums is that 1 GOOD card with multiple connections for monitors is better than 2 graphic cards. people switching back to 1 graphics card got an increase of 20 frames per second in combination with helios and eyefinity setups etc.

Last edited by kingpinda; 03-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Approved Member

@wolverine If I were you, I wouldn't upgrade my system for this game. I would wait till it gets optimised, and then upgrade if necessary. Even if you get the best hardware there is, the game won't run well yet in the current state.