Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Star Wolves

Star Wolves 3D space RPG with deep strategy and tactical elements

Old 12-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Default So much potential

i have to voice my deep deep disappointment in this series.

Let me start by saying ive completed all 3 games twice.

i hate this series for having so much potential, yet so little of it is realized.

The core gameplay is great, RPG and space battle, very few games fills this niche.

But now to the bad.

VOICEACTING: are you freaking kidding me?, the voiceacting in SW1+2 is so bad it defies belief, even if english is not your primary language, someone at some point had to be able to hear, just how awful it was, and im more than a little surprised at the fact, that i havent been able to find any threads on it.
next time use those 5-10k on getting someone with a minimum of talent to do it.
SW3 was bearable, nothing great, but ive heard worse in other games.

SW2 ending was just like "Que?" it screams to high heavens of forced release, so whatever ideas the devs had, got curtailed, and the game was rushed out with some completely inane ending.

All the games have bad pathing logic, and the fact that this prevailed in all 3 games, just makes you mad, when near debris, stations or asteroids, you can sit and just marvel for 30-60 secs while your mothership tries to find a path, or when a fighter gets stuck in the station.

in SW2+3 you had to dock your fighters on the MS, then dock the mothership to use xp points, why take something that worked in SW1, and make it more complicated?

Could have done so much better in making it a open ended/sandbox game

so many bugs, and so little apparent effort used on bugfixing.

If they at least had done more to allow the community to mod the game, ie fix all the flaws they left in, that could have done wonders.

It just annoys the crap out of me, sitting with a game, that could have been a huge succes, and when done, you are just left with that feeling that some greedy money dude forced the games out the door before they were ready, and gave people no chance to fix them, before they were thrown at the next game.

The game is old, and the last expansion is cancelled, but nonetheless i had to voice my frustation at at game with so much potential, but so little of it realized.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Approved Member

I felt that way too initially.

But over time and lots of reading I have found ways to get around the areas of interest you mentioned.

Bugger about Ashes of victory...

Okay in the forums is all you need to find out how to make it so much better.
Keep an eye on statements from Nanaki, Goblin Wizard, Trucidation. In no particular order.

Pathing issues are easily fixed, its the mapping....
I fixed it in 2/3 by moving around objects in calculated paths to reduce pathing conflicts.

Audio, I agree.
It could have been so much better....
But these days with so many people on our social media pages, it would be easy to get the script written down and have our friends work on voice scripts for the game to replace the already listed OGG audio.

Also look around as there are several voice mods for the game.

Using xp in sw3 I know you only need to dock your mothership at a station, no need to dock your fighters.
And you can xp up your pilots.
I will note here that SW3CW is not the same in Russian as I believe it is SW2CW.

Exception to this is the Mothership mod for SW3CW, where points for Bryna and KT can be done at maintenance stations.

Get the SW3CW mothership mod and give it a go. I use the latest beta and have not had problems with it.
Thank you Goblin Wizard.

This time around SW3CW I only went as far as New Jerusalem mission and then went free range and I am loving it. it is an open ended/sandbox game. Kruger grind for $$$.
Not scared of using god mode and going to Zebos. Go for it.
You will see what I mean when you get to the warehouse in Zebos.

SW3CW there is a mod for transports and capital ship patrols.
Nanaki did A great Job on it and I have yet to integrate it with Mothership mod. But all reports are is that it can be made work together well.
Thank you Nanaki.

Also there is a Liger Dreadnought that can be used in game.
Look around and I think it was Trucidation, I could be wrong.
Sorry, If I got it wrong.
Thank you for the Liger who ever made it.

I am curious to understand what bugs cannot be fixed?

Look around for IMDEditor....
Will allow you to add ships and modify ships in game.

I will use dawn of war as a comparison here.
Modding dawn of war for the last decade on and off.
every time I start a new section of modding for DOW it took me six months to get to grips with the different sections and get to understand its Speshulties.
Have a break from modding it and it doesn't all come back to you either.

Modding SW2/SW3CW about 2 weeks or less this time.
And already I can do a comparable amount that took 6 months in Dawn of War Series.

I am actually enjoying this compared to the challenge and troubles Dawn of War series gave me.

How much did you pay for the game if you dont mind me asking?
As I got it for relatively cheap in comparison to other games.

I dont mean to be confronting, I just hope some of the information and references here give you a better experience out of the game then what you feel you already experienced.

Since I dont know how to do a search of the forums, I haven't Linked relevant pages. But be persistent.

I hope you try some of the fun that I have been able to get out of the games.

Nb. SW2 has a couple of mods, ModDB has a listing and Google god search will give you more.

I hope you enjoy the next time around at the game so much more as I am.

Be safe.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Bought it on a Steam sale, so plenty of bang for my buck.

I was simply venting my frustation at the fact, that the series could have been so much more than it was, and knowing that it will never see it full potential, just frustrates the hell out of me.