Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Approved Member

Off topic a bit but RoF looks absolutely incredible on an i7 Mac which has obviously taken a year from release so I would imagine that CoD will be as good, if not better a year from now once it's been optimized.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgio41 View Post
Off topic a bit but RoF looks absolutely incredible on an i7 Mac which has obviously taken a year from release so I would imagine that CoD will be as good, if not better a year from now once it's been optimized.
Was there the same issue with performance in RoF, meaning that peeps had problems running the game even with specified system requirements?
Old 05-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Approved Member

I few years ago I almost bought a IMac, like many I liked its OS. But once I compared the hardware vs price, I see it a huge waste of money. For $1400 I can build or even buy something twice as powerful as the IMac setup.

If it cost as much as PC I'd certainly give it a try in fact I'd love to have the OS which is really nice but with those prices and that hardware those days it's far much cheaper on PC and last the same.

Still many people say that macs are meant to last, well I still have an "old" P4 3.2 up and running no problems ever.

I guess money can buy anything and when money is not the big problem...
Old 05-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Approved Member

You drive a Hummer H3, lots of power, I drive a Maserati Quatroporte.
We both get from A to B. Just a question of preference.
Maybe not the best analogy but hope you get my point.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeanze View Post
You drive a Hummer H3, lots of power, I drive a Maserati Quatroporte.
We both get from A to B. Just a question of preference.
Maybe not the best analogy but hope you get my point.

Not samething. Imac are not ferraries, that's what the advertising wants the crowd to think.

They are built with PC components with a way higher price and have less hardware per dollar.

I can tell you you'd be surprised that most of the IMac hardware would cost half the price on the PC with exactly the same quality. Yes, same quality. Because apple doesn't design the graphics card or the CPU, memory, PSU in fact apple doesn't even assemble it.

MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, thermaltake, cooler master etc... that's what matters when you buy a machine.

I have been around computing since I was a kind and built myself almost every computer until bad times came to my life. I guess I can't fight the fact that most of the people can't/don't care to open up a computer case and really think what's really inside it.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_medina View Post
Not samething. Imac are not ferraries, that's what the advertising wants the crowd to think.

They are built with PC components with a way higher price and have less hardware per dollar.

I can tell you you'd be surprised that most of the IMac hardware would cost half the price on the PC with exactly the same quality. Yes, same quality. Because apple doesn't design the graphics card or the CPU, memory, PSU in fact apple doesn't even assemble it.

MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, thermaltake, cooler master etc... that's what matters when you buy a machine.

I have been around computing since I was a kind and built myself almost every computer until bad times came to my life. I guess I can't fight the fact that most of the people can't/don't care to open up a computer case and really think what's really inside it.
I'm fully aware that the hw in a mac is regular stuff that one can get much cheaper elsewhere.
Like you I've built computers most of my life but when I passed 40 my priorities changed. These days I'm going for simplicity and carefreeness.

I don't change oil on my car anymore even though I know perfectly how to. I drive it to a mechanic and let him do what he does best so I can do what I do best. I'll gladly pay the extra buck it'll cost me.

I have an insurance that if I get a flat tire I can call someone and within minutes this dude comes and change my tire. I'll gladly pay the extra buck it'll cost me.

I don't care reading in on the latest techniques, surfing trillions of PC retailers websites, arguing at Overclockers on how to cool my system, installing proggies so I can squeeze a couple of extra frames out of my g-card, figure out what PSU will drive my stuff, etc etc.
I'm content with going to ONE website and picking out a beautiful computer that fits my need. A week later it is delivered to my door. I plug in one cord and hit On.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 PM
Approved Member

What people fail to realise about Macs is yes internally they are the same as PC's, but there the similarity ends.
The Mac OS was always more robust than windows, until Win7 came along with their aqua interface, which incidentally the original OSX brought in about 10 years ago.
What is neat with a Mac is that the whole package is seamlessly integrated so open any of the bundled apps, like iDVD for instance and you can use any media on your machine for a pain-free experience.
At the end of the day it's a Ford/Chrysler thing so you go with what suits you best.
I also have built computers; the earliest being a scratch built Apple IIe back in the late 70's, but these days I just prefer the simplicity of using a silent, powerful machine/OS that gives me no grief and fits in with my lifestyle.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Approved Member

Yup, I tried RoF on release as I had always loved the era; I originally bought a PC back in 1989 purely to play the original Red Baron from Dynamix.
It was a train crash on my machine at the time which was a duo-core Mac so I dropped it and went back to IL-2.
Roll on a year and we have the refined, polished masterpiece that RoF is now, that is looking to get even better with the forthcoming career mode.
I can't believe how much difference a year makes, flying over towns they look 'right' and logical.
I think if I'd seen into the future from 1989 with it's flat vector planes and landscape to RoF I would have been astounded with the progress in 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeanze View Post
Was there the same issue with performance in RoF, meaning that peeps had problems running the game even with specified system requirements?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

If your willing to shell out a lot of money, I'd recommend the Mac Pro ($2500). You can have up to 12 cores of power and comes standard with a 5x's faster graphics card. And if that's not enough, it's completly user friendly so you can upgrade it even more from there. You can install up to 512GB solid state drivers for ridiculous performance. It's industry standard, so I can guarantee that Clod will look AMAZING on it. It's a lot of money, but in the long run it will be worth it I think. I'm probably going to go this route too after I've saved up, and then run bootcamp with it. Good luck man, hope this helps
Old 05-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmender View Post
If your willing to shell out a lot of money, I'd recommend the Mac Pro ($2500). You can have up to 12 cores of power and comes standard with a 5x's faster graphics card. And if that's not enough, it's completly user friendly so you can upgrade it even more from there. You can install up to 512GB solid state drivers for ridiculous performance. It's industry standard, so I can guarantee that Clod will look AMAZING on it. It's a lot of money, but in the long run it will be worth it I think. I'm probably going to go this route too after I've saved up, and then run bootcamp with it. Good luck man, hope this helps
I'm a sucker for the iMac looks. Also, gettting a Mac Pro I could get the equivalens PC and mount in a pro chassi.

But now mac users don't have to worry about low end g-cards anymore. We got the thunderbolt.
Check this out:
http://www.sonnettech.com/news/nab2011/

Edit: Apparently PCI Express 2.1 x16 has a throughput at 500 MB/s per lane which means 500x16= 8 GB/s. Would mean that Thunderbolt would be a bottleneck at max 2 GB/s.
Well, tests and reviews will be interesting.

Last edited by Vengeanze; 05-11-2011 at 09:13 AM.