Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobb4 View Post
Logic dictates that the next expansion to the sim will be the Mediteranian theatre of war. The release of a taster plane for that theatre seems in order?
Maybe as in the past it might be a bonus for the online crowd giving them a complete planeset of the Mediterainian theatre /battle for Crete, Greece, Malta etc.
He has supplied the Italian planes so why not include all the planes needed to simulate parts of the early mediteranian conflict. This is a first, someone complaining about too many planes
I suspect the me108 like the tigermoth are intended as either online trainers or as part of a historically acurate training phaze in the Dynamic or scripted campaigns.
Imagine the joy of actually completing a simulation of the genuine Luftwaffe or RAF pilot training program. Even if it is scripted or only as part of the tutorials it would be awesome.
The 108 and the Anson were used very successfully as training-aircraft. The 108 saw action in many areas, the Anson was even used for bombing-missions and sold to many countries. Besides that, in wartime both machines were used as courier planes, for transporting passengers and recon-operations in various theaters of war, which is exactly what a lot of IL2-fans wanted for years.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
The 108 and the Anson were used very successfully as training-aircraft. The 108 saw action in many areas, the Anson was even used for bombing-missions and sold to many countries. Besides that, in wartime both machines were used as courier planes, for transporting passengers and recon-operations in various theaters of war, which is exactly what a lot of IL2-fans wanted for years.

It wouldn't be impossible to make the Anson flyable if a third party was interested. The information needed is (nearly?) all here in this simHQ thread, collected for the model we see in the recent update:

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthread...39#Post2388039

Flying online as Setback.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
It wouldn't be impossible to make the Anson flyable if a third party was interested. The information needed is (nearly?) all here in this simHQ thread, collected for the model we see in the recent update:

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthread...39#Post2388039
True. I've been posting this a lot of times before: The partially open structure will probably make a lot of AI-planes flyables within a matter of weeks or month, because the community will deliver high-quality-pits quickly.

So announcing AI-planes for BoB makes me quite looking forward to a great variety of planes in the end.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
The partially open structure will probably make a lot of AI-planes flyables within a matter of weeks or month, because the community will deliver high-quality-pits quickly.

It would be nice if you are right but I doubt it will be an easy task to create a cockpit for SoW models. At least if you want to maintain the standard of the original game. Did Ilya say 6 or 12 month for the Anson? And that would be a professional working full time.

On the other hand there are teams like slowakia, OFF or MAW who could probably pull that off. But even then I don't expect more than a handfull of planes added by non-commercial developers.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbag View Post
It would be nice if you are right but I doubt it will be an easy task to create a cockpit for SoW models. At least if you want to maintain the standard of the original game. Did Ilya say 6 or 12 month for the Anson? And that would be a professional working full time.

On the other hand there are teams like slowakia, OFF or MAW who could probably pull that off. But even then I don't expect more than a handfull of planes added by non-commercial developers.
IIRC a lot of high-quality-pits for IL2 were also done by fans in a matter of weeks or few month with a lot of hard work. I agree that the level of detail will be higher, but sometimes it's easier to model something more complex with plenty of polygons than having to cut down a lot of aspects to meet specifications.

Depending on how the implementation works, I guess I'll be back into the modeling-business myself.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Approved Member

I don't think the mere ability to use a 3D modelling tool is the issue here - it's the "produce a 3D model which is technically compatible to the specifications". IIRC that was the major roadblock for a lot of modellers in the "history" of Il-2 ... and SoW increases the details by a huge margin.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
IIRC a lot of high-quality-pits for IL2 were also done by fans in a matter of weeks or few month with a lot of hard work. I agree that the level of detail will be higher, but sometimes it's easier to model something more complex with plenty of polygons than having to cut down a lot of aspects to meet specifications.

Depending on how the implementation works, I guess I'll be back into the modeling-business myself.
As always in moddable games we will see a lot of good and even more bad things. Experience in the CFS community (MAW, OFF etc etc) show that most of the stuff is "so-so", and some few guys (2 or 3 max) are really good. In FSX it's not so much different...just more people around.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOM.Nausicaa View Post
As always in moddable games we will see a lot of good and even more bad things. Experience in the CFS community (MAW, OFF etc etc) show that most of the stuff is "so-so", and some few guys (2 or 3 max) are really good. In FSX it's not so much different...just more people around.
That is true. Likely more so with the complexity of next gen models.
What I am looking forward to is proffessional 3rd party paid addons. When the likes of Shockwave start releasing aircraft for SoW, it will be something else.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
When the likes of Shockwave start releasing aircraft for SoW, it will be something else.
Ouh Yea baby! You see that Fw 187 and the HE 115...
Old 06-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
That is true. Likely more so with the complexity of next gen models.
What I am looking forward to is proffessional 3rd party paid addons. When the likes of Shockwave start releasing aircraft for SoW, it will be something else.
+1! Let's hope that happens!