Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Approved Member

Default The Goat's DLC review

So, you're thinking about downloading the DLC but want a bit of recon before sinking 5 bucks into the whole foray? Well The Goat went ahead and did that recon for you.

First, let's go over what the DLC will get you.

2 new planes: The P-47D and the Ta-152 H-1.

6 new single missions, all featuring the P-47D.

Now let's talk about the planes. If you're expecting to gain an edge online with either of these planes then think again. The P-47D handles like a boat and climbs like a broken escalator. The Ta-152 is in just about the same. Also, you will not be getting a real cockpit with the Ta-152.

The only practical applications that I can find for the P-47D would be for strike or CTA. For ground attack the P-47 can actually hold it's own. It will of course go faster than a bomber and has decent bombs and rockets. If you play unlimited ammo on strike then this may actually be a great plane for you. It also may be pretty fun to use in CTA. Considering that it has good bombs to destroy your parked enemies with and 8 .50 cal guns to also cause some damage... It seems like it would be pretty good.

Now the Ta-152.... Sorry. I can't find much practical application for this one at all. It's got a decent amount of speed... But that's about all. If you're just an extreme fan of the FW series, then this plane will be for you.

Now the planes aren't really worth dropping 5 bucks on unless you're just a fan of the airplanes themselves. (I am personally a huge fan of the P-47... So if I hadn't already earned the unlock code before the DLC... Then I would have dropped 5 just for my Jug.)

What IS worth dropping the 5 bucks on though are the single missions.
These 6 missions will add about an hour and a half or so of gameplay (If you fly simulator mode) I found all 6 missions a joy to fly. From just the normal bombing stuff... To taking on the new Ta-152's, to fighting off German rocket planes from transports that you are going to defend, they were all a lot of fun to fly. The missions don't take place in just one area. You'll be fighting across a number of areas (No new setting though), in your P-47D. None of the missions were too difficult... Maybe the last mission in Berlin could pose a slight problem... But nothing too extreme overall. I found all 6 missions a joy to fly.

So a quick verdict:

Worth a buy for those who want to stretch the single player game for another hour or so. P-47 fans and FW series fans rejoice!

Not worth a buy for those who don't care about single missions and want a new plane that is going to actually cause a dent online.

If this DLC was 12 dollars or so I would say it is an extreme ripoff and not worth buying. But if you ask this Goat... 5 dollars is just the right price. I'll easily drop 5 bucks to fly the Jug across Europe for an hour or so.