Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 10-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Approved Member

Default BF-109K4 and BF-109K4(C3) Incorrect cooling

The BF-109K4 and BF-109K4 (C3) do not work correctly in the auto cooling mode.
The engine heats up, but the radiator does not open in auto mode.
Thanks.

P.s. And all BF-109 with Methanol-wasser.

Last edited by Pilli; 10-23-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Approved Member

I will try to test it.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Approved Member

Hi Pilli,

I tested Bf-109K4, 1944, Normandy map. All is working correctly. I climbed with MW50 and with radiator auto - radiator was opening and closing due to temperature, then I did it without MW50 - again radiator was working correctly.
Are you sure that you use MW50 correctly? I can send you my track file if you want.

Salute
Old 11-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

Dear Friend
Look at the water temperature indicator (upper). The lower one is the oil temperature. When the engine is overheated, the radiator flaps in automatic mode are not open as much as possible. you can check: heating the engine in auto mode of hunting, then in manual mode open the radiator. and you will see that the radiator flaps are still open.
Problem is that the radiator in auto mode, with overheating, is not fully opened. I think that it works on the temperature of the oil, and not on the water temperature. but should open when the coolant is overheated!
Old 11-06-2017, 05:29 PM
What the heck...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilli View Post
Dear Friend
Look at the water temperature indicator (upper). The lower one is the oil temperature. When the engine is overheated, the radiator flaps in automatic mode are not open as much as possible. you can check: heating the engine in auto mode of hunting, then in manual mode open the radiator. and you will see that the radiator flaps are still open.
Problem is that the radiator in auto mode, with overheating, is not fully opened. I think that it works on the temperature of the oil, and not on the water temperature. but should open when the coolant is overheated!

This is incorrect.

They are both oil temperature gauges. The lower gauge indicates the oil temperature after leaving the oil cooler and entering the engine. The upper gauge indicates the oil temperature after leaving the engine, going to the oil cooler. Besides, the tick mark numerical values would be much higher if the gauge were indicating coolant temperatures.

As far as I can tell, there is no glycol temperature indicator in the bf-109K4 cockpit. Maybe this is accurate historically, or maybe this is another of the the old legacy inconsistencies with cockpit gauges (i.e. the F6F Hellcat, equipped with an air-cooled radial engine, having a "coolant" gauge for engine temperature)

At any rate, the radiator flaps behave normally and as expected per demands placed on the engine.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
At any rate, the radiator flaps behave normally and as expected per demands placed on the engine.
I think that when the inscription "Engine overheating" appears, the radiator in auto mode should be maximally open! so it occurs on all Bf 109, except Bf 109 with MW50.
And this is not correct!

Last edited by Pilli; 11-07-2017 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:44 PM
What the heck...?

Anyone who has played this game over the past fifteen years knows that the activation of the OVERHEAT! message is too conservative and comes on too soon. It is largely ignored by the community. Ignored by those who know the cockpit gauges and uses them instead of the HUD log, anyway.

The flaps are fine, dude. Understand it.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Approved Member

try to think logically: if there is overheating, then the radiator should be opened by 100%. This is logical and not subject to discussion, but this does not happen on BF 109 only with MW50
Old 11-07-2017, 04:49 PM
What the heck...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilli View Post
try to think logically: if there is overheating, then the radiator should be opened by 100%. This is logical and not subject to discussion, but this does not happen on BF 109 only with MW50
Look, Philli.

You didn't even know the difference between the two oil gauges in the cockpit, thinking the top gauge was an indicator for coolant temps. It didn't even occur to you that the numbers on the two oil temp gauges were identical, and that the numbers on the top gauge would have to be much higher than what's there to properly indicate readings for engine coolant at operating temperatures. Frankly, you didn't know what you were talking about, so you have no business telling anyone else how to "think logically", understand?

Just admit that you simply misread and misidentified the gauge, and learned that the Engine Overheat HUD message is all but irrelevant, instead of continuing to argue for nothing.

This should be obvious, but simply running the K4 at full-throttle, boost on or off, until the radiator flaps open fully (and you will see they do open fully in time) will make it plainly clear when the engine is beginning to run hot. Since there is no glycol temp gauge in the cockpit, this is the only cue you get to know if it's running hot. As previously stated, the Engine Overheat HUD message is overly conservative and unreliable (it comes on too soon for ALL aircraft in the entire sim), has been so throughout the life of this game, and has been generally regarded as such by the community longer than you've been a member of this forum. So, ffs, turn off the HUD messages and use the gauges and other cues when flying Bf-109s (like any simmer should already be doing), and let it go already!

Last edited by Treetop64; 11-07-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:31 PM
Approved Member

Treetop64 is right, Pilli! No use arguing against it, mate!
I've been playing IL-2 since it first came out and I can only concur about what Treetop64 says.