Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Default stalingrad mission

Can anyone help me get through the last Stalingrad mission (the one with all the Ju-52's)? No matter how many I shoot down, some seem to still get through. Is there a particular way of doing it? Thanks for any help!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Approved Member

I had a bit of problem with that mission as well, but eventually I got it.

You must destroy each bomber quickly or you won't make it in time. You'll have to try to shoot them down in just one pass, so go easy on the throttle and remember to give attack orders to your wingmen.

The missiles are also pretty useful to eliminate the bombers quickly, just get so close behind them that you can't miss.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Approved Member

have found in all the missions, your wingmen are pretty useless.. Do continue to give them orders, but don't rely on them to give you much help. They will chase a foe forever firing a shot every now and then, but rarely shoot them down. I just let them work on a few and at least get them smoking while I work on others, and by the time I get to the ones they are chasing, they might have them damaged enough for them to be an easy kill for you to finish off..
Old 10-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation All the advice has not helped to date - PLEASE HELP AGAIN!

Ju-87s comment is appreciated but it still does not explain the fact that no matter what you do after approx. 8min 30 the mission is failed. Whether you only shoot targets on the ground or only in the air or simply not shoot anything at all and just fly around, after 8min 30 its over. Obviously, this 'magic threshold' is the key.

For arguments sake, I dispersed of 5 groups of enemy planes and transporters - I check the the radar and there are no faint green lights and no yellow lights in the pocket - The voice of the radio then says 'there is another group coming from the left - we will take care off it' - 10 seconds after that the mission is failed - Everytime the same result. If indeed I am missing a plane, where is it suppose to be? It is not on the radar.

I have now tried it 10 times, on my PS3, in arcade mode. All previous levels I managed with ease - Why oh why do developers opt for throwing you such a curveball in the middle of the game? How is that suppose to enhance the gaming pleasure? I paid 40 pounds and now I am stuck and from several previous comments on other forums a lot has to do with 'being lucky' in order to conquer this level - That is BS!!!

Can someone please provide a detailed 'walkthrough' of how to beat this level?

Specific Questions:

1. Why do I have targets on the ground, when I am suppose to shoot bombers?

2. Why are the bombers (I allegedly miss) not on the radar when (allegedly) they land?

3. Do I need to shoot every single plane for each group of planes OR just a specific plane for each group?

4. How long is the mission suppose to take?

5. Do other levels have similar difficulties or is HORNETS NEST skewed (for whatever reason)

Thank You

Me-263
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModellPhoto_Me263V1.jpg (17.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

I just completed this mission on Simulator, which is a challenge - but not as bad as I feared it would be!

The key is to get to each wave quickly - as soon as they appear on the map, WEP towards them and issue orders to your squad to attack primary target (down on the d-pad followed by right on the d-pad).

On Simulator it is very difficult to spot them - I found that the key is to remember the height one group was flying at and proceeding to the next group fast, as soon as you're told to move on - if you're squad are issued with the orders, they will also find them for you, and you can follow their gunfire to the targets!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-263 View Post
Ju-87s comment is appreciated but it still does not explain the fact that no matter what you do after approx. 8min 30 the mission is failed. Whether you only shoot targets on the ground or only in the air or simply not shoot anything at all and just fly around, after 8min 30 its over. Obviously, this 'magic threshold' is the key.

For arguments sake, I dispersed of 5 groups of enemy planes and transporters - I check the the radar and there are no faint green lights and no yellow lights in the pocket - The voice of the radio then says 'there is another group coming from the left - we will take care off it' - 10 seconds after that the mission is failed - Everytime the same result. If indeed I am missing a plane, where is it suppose to be? It is not on the radar.

I have now tried it 10 times, on my PS3, in arcade mode. All previous levels I managed with ease - Why oh why do developers opt for throwing you such a curveball in the middle of the game? How is that suppose to enhance the gaming pleasure? I paid 40 pounds and now I am stuck and from several previous comments on other forums a lot has to do with 'being lucky' in order to conquer this level - That is BS!!!

Can someone please provide a detailed 'walkthrough' of how to beat this level?

Specific Questions:

1. Why do I have targets on the ground, when I am suppose to shoot bombers?

2. Why are the bombers (I allegedly miss) not on the radar when (allegedly) they land?

3. Do I need to shoot every single plane for each group of planes OR just a specific plane for each group?

4. How long is the mission suppose to take?

5. Do other levels have similar difficulties or is HORNETS NEST skewed (for whatever reason)

Thank You

Me-263
1. Because there are Flak batteries on the ground firing at you, you will notice they are rectangles, not dots, which tells you they are on the ground.

2. You need to get the transports in the air so don't worry about ground targets at all.

3. Shoot them all, don't take chances.

4. Don't know, keep killing until its over.

5. You're just having a hard time, its really not that hard once you follow a few tips:

1. Get to within 200 yds before firing, throttle down and use combat flaps to avoid overshoot, approach from slightly below to avoid the top rear gunner and put *all of your fire on the engines*. Thats the most important thing to finishing the transports off quickly, if you aim for the fuselage, it will take you forever whereas one good burst to the engines can bring down a JU-57 in an instant.

2. Use your map ALOT. Once you bring down one group, look on your map to see where the next is and open up your throttle and raise flaps to zoom over there.

3. Ignore everything else, just kill the transports as efficiently as you can and you should be fine.

check out this IL-2 vid for some anti-bomber tips:
Old 10-12-2009, 04:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorwzzerd View Post
check out this IL-2 vid for some anti-bomber tips:
LOL OMG he's flying around in the map screen! Is this a new variation of the good old "out-of-map" bug?
Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

I have to agree with ME-263 that there's something off about this mission compared to everything that proceeds it. There are tons of forums addressing this particular level of this game.

This is the 3rd thread I'm seeing on this site alone. The other 2 threads call this "Hornets Nest"

Here's 2 more links off site with people running into the same problems

http://www.gamecritics.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16205

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sim/...845&pid=946815

I love this game. I pilot ultralights and I skydive. I have a good understanding of flight and the game does a great, great job of simulating flight...I appreciate it a lot. I got straight to this level with zero issue and it's bringing the game to a crashing halt. I think the issue is that some of the planes lose their target markers (yellow triangles) and then it's just insane trying to find the one u missed while wave after wave comes. I think i shot down 28 planes only to have the game extend a middle finger and say: "8minutes, 30 seconds...u stink, fatty." about 9 times now. It's frustrating. Not to mention that along with trying to deep6 25-30 planes with the supporting AI being completely dogbrained, it's just beyond tough...especially under the umbrella of "Arcade" difficulty." Do you think the devs will patch it with the criticism it's getting?

SeanTheShark
Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Doktorwzzerd - Thank you for having taken the time to write down your comments. I will now attempt to use your tips to conquer this level ones and for all.

SeanTheShark - Thank you for supporting my case. I also like to second your comments on the game - I too have found it to be lots of fun. Maybe for those who have played simulators on PC's it may not be that much of a challenge. For myself I find it is very entertaining and the graphics are top-notch.

Last edited by Me-263; 10-13-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantheshark View Post

I love this game. I pilot ultralights and I skydive. I have a good understanding of flight and the game does a great, great job of simulating flight...I appreciate it a lot. I got straight to this level with zero issue and it's bringing the game to a crashing halt. I think the issue is that some of the planes lose their target markers (yellow triangles) and then it's just insane trying to find the one u missed while wave after wave comes. I think i shot down 28 planes only to have the game extend a middle finger and say: "8minutes, 30 seconds...u stink, fatty." about 9 times now. It's frustrating. Not to mention that along with trying to deep6 25-30 planes with the supporting AI being completely dogbrained, it's just beyond tough...especially under the umbrella of "Arcade" difficulty." Do you think the devs will patch it with the criticism it's getting?

SeanTheShark
Hi Sean !

It is nice to see someone with real air experience judge this game.

I have a lot of experience from different PC sims, and have allmost every good movie containing air combat on my DVD shelf. Based on this I think IL-2:BoP does a very good job of simulating air combat, and creates the atmosphere and feeling of "being there". A lot of times the in-game cockpit view strikingly resembles authentic gun-cam footage.

If you play this on a big screen with a decent sound system, it gives great immersion. I myself enjoy it on a 100 inch screen with a fullsize 5.1 soundsystem, and full HOTAS.

I must say it is much more fun than anticipated to experience IL-2 on console