Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Approved Member

Default Friday the 14th Development Update

Hello everyone,

It’s been too long since I’ve posted on here. Black Six has been doing such a good job managing the forums and interacting with the community that it really allowed me to sit back and just focus on managing the product.

I apologize if my absence has upset some of you. I know the community adores wild rumors, but we’re all still here, and we’re working very hard on making the Il-2 series better.

However as you might have guessed, the brunt of the team’s efforts has gradually shifted to the sequels. I know many of you won’t be happy, and neither are we. Cliffs of Dover is still not the product we are happy with or proud of. Unfortunately, as all businesses we have goals, budgets, profits, losses, expenses, and wages. We have milestones to meet with our future products, and we just cannot miss those.

So for the past two weeks the team has been working hard on delivering a stable, working milestone for the sequel.

The general plan is, after the milestone is submitted and accepted, we return to the now almost-final patch, cram as much as we can into it, and make it our final Cliffs of Dover patch. The next time it will be updated is when you install the sequel over it.

Are we happy with that? No. But we simply cannot continue to support and grow Cliffs of Dover while also trying to ensure our sequels are released on time and are sufficiently polished. I’m sure most of you will agree that we have already supported our release more than perhaps any other developer in a similar situation. Most of you have probably guessed that Cliffs of Dover was not exactly the most profitable project in the world, and for at least the past year supporting it did nothing for the bottom line but put it deeper into the red.

Having said all that, Alexander sent me a short list of the most commonly asked questions. So here are the answers.

1) When do you expect to have full-featured anti-aliasing?
We still didn’t get to that task as our graphic programmers still have a pile of even higher priority issues to cover. So, not in the next patch.

2) Will the next patch be fully NVidia certified, and will it have Crossfire support?
NVidia – definitely. CF – still TBD.

3) Will there be a complete readme?
Yes!

4) What’s the status of the Su-26 and the SDKs?
We will most likely include the Su-26 in the final patch for free. The SDKs, we really want to release at least the map-making SDK to the public “as is”, which is why they’re not covered by the next patch v. sequels discussion. However simply packing up the source code into a package that can be released to the public is a somewhat lengthy task that can only be done by our lead programmer. Once he’s done putting out the fires, and once the patch is out the door, we’ll find a way to squeeze that into his schedule.

With that, I'm out. I'll be back at the end of the day to answer more of your questions.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Approved Member

Special thread for your questions:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=34369
Old 09-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the honest post. Sad news. Perhaps after the sequel comes out some more work could be retrofitted to CloD.

Any word on what the big feature that hasn't been done before was going to be?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

Good to hear from you again luthier, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Approved Member

"The next time it will be updated is when you install the sequel over it."

Great news! At least future updates will incorporate and update CLOD.

Thanks for this important information for future development.

Cheers, MP
Old 09-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Approved Member

"The next time it will be updated is when you install the sequel over it."

All i want to hear
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Approved Member

Looking forward to the SU 26 (probably). Thanks for the update, and later the update to the update.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
The general plan is, after the milestone is submitted and accepted, we return to the now almost-final patch, cram as much as we can into it, and make it our final Cliffs of Dover patch. The next time it will be updated is when you install the sequel over it.
I cant speak for anyone else, but this part is important for me. Hopefully you can get the sequel to the level you and we hope for and Cliffs will therefore also benefit.

Good luck and cheers.

EDIT: lol ... just saw the posts above mine saying essentially the same thing posted as I was typing.

Last edited by naz; 09-14-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Approved Member

The general plan is, after the milestone is submitted and accepted, we return to the now almost-final patch, cram as much as we can into it, and make it our final Cliffs of Dover patch.

And how long are we looking at for this to happen?

If only you told us all of this ages ago. Might have stopped those 'wild rumours' you reckon we like, such as 'they're not working on CloD' etc.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Approved Member

Predictable because of the realities of business. I just hope that the powers that be at 1C (= those with the ties and the money) realize just how much porcellain has been smashed by this release. Before CloD many people would have bought any sequel without a thorough test, after CloD the sequel(s) will have to be everything that CloD was not: a finished, well-rounded simulation with working engine, offline gameplay part and not too many bugs. Otherwise they will rot in the shelves.
Closed Thread