Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > Fantasy Wars

Fantasy Wars Turn-based strategy. Gather an army, upgrade units, study magic spells, participate in castle sieges and assaults to destroy the great Orc Ugraum’s horde.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

After playing the demo for a while I found a new copy of FW on ebay for about half the list price, it should be here in a week or so. I'm looking forward to making maps for this game.

I wonder if they will add Undead as a race for this game?

Last edited by Alex Mars; 02-07-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Default Good game, but...

Hi,

I'm enjoying Fantasy Wars, not yet through the full campaign. There is a lot to like wih this game. I love the turn-based model. Like many others I really enjoyed the Panzer General series of games from SSI. It is great to see this genre revisited.

I really like the game play, and find winning very challanging. The variety of units is ample, and I will be excited to see what any extention or expansions bring. So my applasue for what you have done.

Nonetheless, I do have some observations. I offer them in the spirit of constructive advice. Of course, feel free to ignore!

The Human campaign is quite good. I thought the cut scenes ok. But with the Orc campaign I felt like the game got sort of juvenile. The voice characterization of the hexer was silly, and the entire race seemed more cartoony than the Human campaign. I was relieved when I finished that portion of the game. I have not finished the Elf campaign yet, but the scantily clad female elf is just stupid. Our men at arms wear extra chain mail, but the one female charcter in the game has a bare midriff?

I suppose some on this forum will be offended that I have posted criticism of the game. I'm sorry if I antagonize anyone. I never had these reactions to any of the older SSI games. IMO, those games felt more adult; while Fantasy Wars feels more juvenile.

Personally, I hope you revisit the battlefields of WW2, or other military scenarios that this sort of combat game is well suited to. Fantasy Wars is a good military game encumbered with a so-so storyline.

Thanks for reading this.

Kevin
Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 AM
Approved Member

Graphics - Love them... very impressive for a turn based strategy game

Game Play - Sweetness, easy to use interface and loads of detail for each unit

MapMaker - Love it... it could be a but more user friendly but if you keep at it, eventually you learn enough to be proficient.

Multiplayer - This is what I love most about the game, it is why I play it. It needs more maps with customizable forces, a lobby would not hurt either... but I know that is not a priority.

I am hooked and will continue to "word of mouth" this game as long as I stay hooked Noone seems to know about it, or even heard of it...

My overall rating for Fantasy Wars is a 9.0 of 10.0 in the turn based strategy game catagory. Next in line is Laser Squad Nemesis... with an 8.0, multiplayer goodness
Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Approved Member

I have just completed the Alliance campaign. I must say that I have really enjoyed the game. It was a real brainteaser in some scenarios, yet it was not too difficult (I was playing on Normal). Great job at balancing this! Although some scenarios were far easier (I have found the Human campaing the easiest and the Orcish campaing the most difficult one). I know it is not easy to make a balanced game that will not be easy to finish in one night and at the same time not too difficult, so that many players would not be able to finish the game.

So... when's the English add-on coming out?

Oh! And an extra "cheers!" for the guy that gave Teya the "Dragonslave" spell as a perk on level 10 I did not have the opportunity to use it (she has reached level 10 on the turn Farrakh died), but hey, it's nice to see some references to the movies

Oh, and one more thing. When a new unit joins the army during a scenario, please allow it to move (maybe fix this in the add-on?). In the mission with the Engineer I had to reload a previous save several times, because the Engineer kept appearing next to enemy units, with no move points, and was repeatedly being decimated by the goblin raiders.

Last edited by Devean; 03-02-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: One more thing...
Old 03-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Love the game , just bought 2 days ago and really enjoy it!!

Would like to see in the next patch , a fix to needing to insert the dvd in the drive everytime you wish to play. Yes i own a dvd version
Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

I am really enjoying it...I did a quick tiny review on another forum:http://madcowssteakhouse.com/viewtopic.php?t=19866
great game I am eagerly awaiting add ons etc.
thanks to the designers... well done
Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

I would still like to say that its a great game!!

One single feature that i would really like to see implemented in the next patch , is the ability to play by email.

I really believe a pbem option is really needed for a turn based game.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Approved Member

we need a multiplayer lobby online supported by the developer
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Approved Member

Something of a late-comer, but might as well say my piece. I think Fantasy Wars is a terrific game... although I must confess to being a sucker for turn-based stuff, particularly that where you can complete a game/scenario in an evening rather than a month (also playing a lot of Armageddon Empires at present for the same reason). Very reminiscent of games like Panzer and Fantasy General in that it's basically a simple to learn (but hard to master, as they say) turn based wargame with no pretensions of being much else. Add that solid gameplay to some pretty 3D graphics and well designed campaigns and you have a very solid package indeed.

Looking forward first to the editor when the promised 'common version' patch appears and, hopefully, to an English release of the add-on in due course.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

There is an add-on???

PLEASE release it in English!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise - great game!

LOVE Turn-Based games and you simply do not see enough of them anymore (I can't stand RTS).

However, I seem to not be as good as others in that I still (after 5 or 6 tries) can't make it through the very first Single Player mission.