Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derinahon View Post
Promoting your WOP video here? tut

video for comparison purposes,that should be clear?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Fish View Post
a failure ? thats mighty harsh for a 1:1 scale representation of south east england. the un-educated critique around here is astounding. no wonder the developers shy away from any form of up front discussion. this is a simulation. not a game.

i think it does the job very well. but it isnt anywhere near a failure.. your opinion is more full of failure and the height of ridicule. (rediculous)

western world priveledged philosophy. does anyone round here know what that is ?
Why 'uneducated'?

If the purpose of the game map is to produce a believable feeling of 'being there' then for me it doesn't work, so maybe that makes it a 'failure' in my eyes too.

It's possible that the issues mentioned are another result of the rush job/unfinished nature of the release - I could easily believe that the tree placement issues are due to some overworked graphics person being under too tight a deadline.

(A good analogy may be the AI. They needed to produce some form of AI to ship the game, but what we got obviously isn't the final version. Maybe a similar situation occurred with the map?? Unlike the AI though, which they have stated is being reworked, there has been no word on the map beyond the addition of transparent water and waves, which though welcome, is less important than getting the basic terrain right. It would just be a real shame if the map wasn't eventually made as good as it could be)

I would be interested to know the devs opinion and whether any reworking is planned alongside the myriad of other updates, fixes and improvements.

Last edited by kendo65; 05-21-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Approved Member

Being the first sim they do as far as I know, it's a success to me. WOP 2 is coming and I hope they improve the FM and DM and also gets an easy to use mission editor.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt_medina View Post
Being the first sim they do as far as I know, it's a success to me. WOP 2 is coming and I hope they improve the FM and DM and also gets an easy to use mission editor.
i like wop's maps but can's stand the overdone bloom
Old 05-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Approved Member

S!

What I noted from the video of WoP is that there were NONE of following things we have in CoD..

1) Flickering shadows. Really bothering visual issue with CoD. Shadows solid only when close within the "LOD ring".

2) No LOD changes whatsoever, no popping up buildings etc. Extremely smooth transition of LOD, if any. In CoD the "ring of LOD" around your plane.

3) Smooth performance. Simply no slowdowns, stutter or stops. I had it that way too in the demo over Berlin with a ton going on around me, totally smooth experience.

Otherwise I do not comment WoP or CoD. Both represent something related to WW2 so leaving it there.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biltongbru View Post
video for comparison purposes,that should be clear?
A tongue in cheek remark from me there.

Back on topic, even though it's missing some of the cinematic flair and tree placement (lol) of WoP, I think the presentation of CoD in game is fantastic. I doubt WoP could scale to the size of CoD's map and still look as pretty.

Personally I don't actually like the cinematic type filters and post processing they use in WoP, it makes the scene look quite dull and muted at times. Not hating on WoP, I have it and enjoyed it for what it is.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Approved Member

Yes, there are aspects that aren't as good as COD, but regarding the basic terrain representation of the English countryside they really nailed it.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
Yes, there are aspects that aren't as good as COD, but regarding the basic terrain representation of the English countryside they really nailed it.
I'd agree with that. Can't believe we've entertained another thread on this subject
Old 05-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

People who jump on anyone with critique seem to want this game to be perfect and have to create a dreamworld where it allready is, anyone who threatens that with some reality is uneducated etc....

I have to say, WoP is inferior in any gameplay aspect, but by the looks of it I swear it still looks like a next-generation game while the CoD landscape and stuttering just barely puts it ahead of 1946
Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Communist View Post
Hmm yes I can picture it in my mind now, just like flying inside a shoe-box!
This, many times over.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov