Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Approved Member

Having spent most of the last 7 years in various forms of IT project management at the Enterprise/Intenational level I can completley understand where the team are comng from on this. There comes a point where you need to put a steak in the ground - or become Duke Nukem Forever . Having said that I hate the idea of testing in production or on a client, but with PC Games the varied configurations mean its impossible to test it all first.
I'll pass judgement next week when I get my coy - It will be interesting to see how it plays on the big rig, and on my laptop (Core 2 Duo 9800GT 4GB - will give a good counterpoint to the 990X to see how it scales) . Then I shall decide if I have a problem or not (Although I know I need a new keyboard - with a tree filter perhaps!)
Old 03-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Old_Canuck

Flight sim enthusiasts are great beta testers. I don't remember what year it was but back in the early IL-2 FB days, Oleg told us we're all beta testers. Great job done by all with about ten years and counting for the old sim.

If CoD needs similar testing, bring it on.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato_larsen View Post
Indeed.

Dont know how many of you have played Bohemia interactive sims from Operation flashpoint, (No, not the console version of it, but the old original) via ArmA and now ArmA 2.
It is a good Mil-Sim that also takes a lot of power. Now you can still make that look pretty good with settings turned down.
Does ArmA 2 have this anti-seizure post process on it? I'm honestly asking. If it does, then that might calm me a bit.

If it doesn't, I shudder to think how it would run on my machine if they had to add it in 3 months. Imagine if they suddenly released a patch that made this code mandatory for it (you couldn't turn it off) and it reduced your frame rate by 10-20 fps. Would you still be able to play that game or would you have to buy a new computer/new components?

I would go from playing and enjoying ArmA2 to having to spend $500 to $1000.

I like IL-2, but I don't think I can afford to play it if it's going to cost me a brand new graphics card. (I have a GTX 260 - not great, but not bad either).

EDIT:

And before anyone starts, I think I sit quite nicely in the recommended specs range for CoD: i7 940, GTX 260, 6gb ram, x-fi sound card

Last edited by bw_wolverine; 03-25-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15JG52_Brauer View Post
There comes a point where you need to put a steak in the ground...
True that. Personally, I'm looking forward to a good summer of bbq with my home grown garden steaks!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Approved Member

lol!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Approved Member

I remember trying to run the original Il-2 on, I believe, a Radeon 256 and a Celeron 400. Let's just say, that didn't go very well.

These days I've got it on an E8400 and a GTX 480
Old 03-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharveL View Post
True that. Personally, I'm looking forward to a good summer of bbq with my home grown garden steaks!
Mmmmm BBQ!!! I'd like some pie too.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharveL View Post
I see this as an invitation.

@ Topic:
I don't get all the whining either. It took most of us over 2 years to be able to play IL2 with full settings. Hell, even now IL2FB does not run with all details on my second PC.

I'm also puzzled how many people don't understand the difference between Oleg Maddox, Maddox Games, 1C and UBIsoft. Why do they keep spamming or opening votes for or against UBI at this board?
That's like ranting and revolting in BMWs headquarters, because Mercedes sold their cars in the wrong colors...
Old 03-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
@ Topic:
I don't get all the whining either. It took most of us over 2 years to be able to play IL2 with full settings. Hell, even now IL2FB does not run with all details on my second PC.
Buddy, this not only about fps, but you will be forced to play a c-r-i-p-p-l-e-d game.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
Buddy, this not only about fps, but you will be forced to play a c-r-i-p-p-l-e-d game.
No one is "forced" to play the game, and I don't know that crippled is quite the right word either. It seems to work better for some than others. There are problems, but it doesn't sound like it's been made utterly unplayable. Also fixes are in the pipe, so let's wait and see.