Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper View Post
I think you will find Track ir will give you much better sense of being there.
Dust it off [BoB11 ] and give it a go.
Ask on the shockwave /a2a forums if you need any help.
Don't forget to tick the box in the menu allowing the use of Track ir.The 6 dof is very good.
Yeah thanks will do; unfortunately (unlike the x-52!) I accidentally mailed the TrackIR to my home address instead of work...may have some explaining to do to mrs siko when she asks 'wtf is this'!

Just downloaded a load of A-10 manuals into IBooks and will have a read tonight to make my mind up, think I will go ahead anyway.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Approved Member

I have a-10 and i must say it is fantastic,if you buy it you wont regreat it,takes a while to get into,but it is well worth it
Old 03-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Approved Member

No problem, enjoy other sims, we should be "drowning in information" soon enough. You don't have to make a decision now, the guys that preordered won't get the game any sooner. There will be plenty of time to figure out if COD is what you want in a sim.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Approved Member

Just no interest for fictional campaigns, even if the sim is top.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDNT View Post
Just no interest for fictional campaigns, even if the sim is top.
I'm kinda the same, if it's not WWII then it's not really for me.

Having said that if the next DCS project is one of the more, er.. glamourous Jets, then I could be tempted. If they ever do a Phantom however I'll be right there!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Approved Member

DCS blackshark and a-10c have been many hours of fun AND STUDYING for me very rich in avionics and such. Has been a blast to ripple those jdams on multiple targets and cciping clusterbombs while first clearing the area of AAA with mavericks. and the GUN Oh man the gun.... The gun is just great.

Indeed steep learning curve to get all the electronic equipment working and stuff and much much fun starting her up and working with JTAC to get the mission done.

But.... I too miss the dogfighting. DCS is a welcome change to get to know a bit of the modern stuff but the fun for me lies in shooting Krauts! or... shooting the english biscuits. depends which side i'm on :p

Modern stuff uses hydraulics and it will beep on your ass if you are going into a stall. With my G940 logitech FFB I like flying the old crates more since you will "feel" the forces at work with all the strings pulleys and whatnot.

I so CAN"T wait for cliffs of dover... GIEV!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEditor View Post
How bout just waiting till release day and see what happens! A-10 is cool as $hit! Detailed Too. But for all the steam whinners, I think A-10 will be on steam soon. Black Shark did the same thing.
No problem with it being on steam too. I think you misunderstood most of those you call "steam whinners", it's the "being on steam only" that people dislike.
Why would we dislike having an extra avenue of income for the hobby? It's the act of making it mandatory that makes people fuss

I agree on the rest of your post about waiting though. I too dislike a couple of features in CoD, but i did a mental sum of everything i've seen and what i like ends up being more than what i dislike, so i pre-ordered a collector's edition.

For people who want to know as much as possible about the game before purchasing, it sure makes sense to wait. Gives us time to start submitting the first bug reports too, so that maybe when they pick it up a month or two down the line it will also be a better product overall and easier for those with doubts to ease into.

The situation usually streamlines on its own between early adopters and late comers, so i agree with you that it's just fine to wait and see. I'm getting it as soon as i can, but that doesn't mean i consider anyone who has second thoughts to be some kind of internet "traitor"
Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Approved Member

I've got A-10 and thououghly enjoy it. It is of cource completely different to IL-2.

Unfortunately is is also quite expensive, $550 for the appropriate Joystick, another 90 for the MFD's and a second monitor.

It's also very clinical (?) and procedure driven.

One of my biggest hurdles was mot understanding what went wrong when you go through your 10 step procedure to drop a LGB and it misses. (Lots of colateral damage in my virtual battlefield!)

Cheers!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
I've got A-10 and thououghly enjoy it. It is of cource completely different to IL-2.

Unfortunately is is also quite expensive, $550 for the appropriate Joystick, another 90 for the MFD's and a second monitor.

It's also very clinical (?) and procedure driven.

One of my biggest hurdles was mot understanding what went wrong when you go through your 10 step procedure to drop a LGB and it misses. (Lots of colateral damage in my virtual battlefield!)

Cheers!
What in holy hell costs $550? Did you pay somebody to sneak onto an airbase and rip a stick out of an actual A-10? And what on Earth about the game would prevent it from being played just fine on a joystick for mere plebeians?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Communist View Post
What in holy hell costs $550? Did you pay somebody to sneak onto an airbase and rip a stick out of an actual A-10? And what on Earth about the game would prevent it from being played just fine on a joystick for mere plebeians?
TM HOTAS Warthog.

DCS A10c is a totally different vibe to Il2 but still very enjoyable if your prepared to sit down and read. I like both early combat and modern combat flight sims but I can understand divide it's a totally different challenge. Modern air war is procedure rich whilst WWII era is dynamic, I hope cod has more procedure in its engine management system as it's a little simplistic to start the aircraft in IL2.