Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauii View Post
# Mission Builder , Modding Support
# Campaign featuring both sides (not dynamic)
# 128 Players , dedicated servers (lasting hours, days and weeks etc)
# Several flyables with insane attention to detail (interior)
# Damage modeling up to 4(~) times more detailed than IL2
# Improved Aerodynamics, graphics, sounds, interface
# Completely rebuilt engine from scratch
# Improved Flight Model
# 512+ avg damageable components per aircraft
# 1:1 scale map
# Online Training plane with trainee and trainer in same aircraft
# Most detailed ground vehicles in any flight sim ever
# Impressive attention to detail to the 12 (plus variants) player operated aircraft
# Direct Damage
# bi-aural sound

in future patches/add ons

# Dynamic volumetric weather and clouds
# possibly player controlled Anti-aircraft fire and vehicles
# Korean war in addition to at least 2 other expansions and respective vehicles and aircraft.

Do you need us to go on?
Old 03-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post

Can't be bothered.

Factual information does not compute.

I don't care.

I don't understand the work load involved.

I assume too much.

Discounting more information

Don't realize that most game engines are based on 10 year old architecture.
Learn a few things before you refute and discount information.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Existing IL2 Feature, Existing through 3rd parties.

I'll believe it when I play it.

A feature that will never be used by 99% of the playerbase if for no other reason than the bandwidth required to support 128 players simultaneously.

Several? That must be worth 50 bucks. Not really.

A degree of accuracy that will not matter to a super-majority of the playerbase while they are playing the game, especially those flying open cockpit with deduced reality settings. Good for wow factor, good for machinima, mostly irrelevant to gameplay.

After this many years of development, I would hope so; however, again flight model improvements will be undetectable or irrelevant to 99% of the playerbase.

Right, I would hope so after all this time; however, performance will be completely dependent of player hardware specs. A super-majority of the playerbase will never experience the "high-end" engine features of the game if they do indeed exist. Jaggies in screenshots weeks before game launch?

And how is any of your objections any different than when the original IL2 came out?

I've enjoyed BoB:WoV, but their damage model was non-existent. You never knew who, what, where, or when you were hit until your wing fell off. Were these critical hits? Were they glancing blows? Could you take one more swipe at the 111 before you disengaged? One would never know. Sure you heard the ping ping ping of ammo hitting your craft, but had no idea of what was being hit. You'd get a shudder, and then poof. Off goes your wing.

I won't make light of 50 bucks, but most X Box/PS3 games are 60 bucks. I KNOW I'll have CoD on my hard drive for years. It's not a lot of money in terms of time on my hard drive and the hours upon hours of enjoyment that I'll get from CoD. To me THAT's a bargain in today's economy.

The ONLY thing (now that I know a bit more about STEAM) that would ruin CoD for me is the AI. With complex engine management there shouldn't be any FM cheats that the AI use. I won't abide or support that. I think Oleg will have made many advances in AI.

But features? I'm willing to wait and see. I've seen and followed enough to know that I'll be satisfied (pending AI) to purchase in a NY minute.

Last edited by Robert; 03-12-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacKY View Post
Wait, what features?

What are the features in this game because they sure as hell arent releasing a list of features to us. While many of you "gamers" want to blindly purchase a game based on credentials, I, on the other hand, like to know what I will be getting in my games. Minute long videos of peaceful strolls in a WWII FLIGHT SIM isnt showing me features or telling what will be in the game.

Is there dynamic fire?
How is the damage system in game or if a bullet hits the plane will it leave marks on what it hits and not a preset texture?

The list goes on.
Most of what you are asking for has been answered in this very forum at various stages. I think there's even a thread listing with links to most of the updates so far, click that search button on the forum interface and have a go, you might be pleasantly surprised.

True, it would be better to have them in a readily available compiled list, but on the other hand probably 80% of the people here know the answers to most of these questions by far as evidenced by the amount of replies you got.

All you have to do is ask them nicely

Quote:
Existing IL2 Feature, Existing through 3rd parties.

I'll believe it when I play it.

A feature that will never be used by 99% of the playerbase if for no other reason than the bandwidth required to support 128 players simultaneously.

Several? That must be worth 50 bucks. Not really.

A degree of accuracy that will not matter to a super-majority of the playerbase while they are playing the game, especially those flying open cockpit with deduced reality settings. Good for wow factor, good for machinima, mostly irrelevant to gameplay.

After this many years of development, I would hope so; however, again flight model improvements will be undetectable or irrelevant to 99% of the playerbase.

Right, I would hope so after all this time; however, performance will be completely dependent of player hardware specs. A super-majority of the playerbase will never experience the "high-end" engine features of the game if they do indeed exist. Jaggies in screenshots weeks before game launch?
I'm amazed at how easily you brush aside core aspects of simulating combat aircraft in favor of visual detail only. Posters and plastic models of aircraft look nice too but they don't give you a chance to catch a small glimpse of how they work. Do you want to use the available technology to look at them or get an idea of what it would feel like to fly them? I'm not being a smart-ass here, it's a genuine question.

If 99% of the community are not interested in flight and damage models then they are playing the wrong kind of game. It's their job to switch genres, not the 1%'s job that used to be the majority to approve of turning their game into easy mode by default and use the spare hardware resources to accommodate their taste, especially when they can perfectly well turn down the realism options and fly around in circles all day long if it pleases them.

What you describe is similar to a few thousand people suddenly turning up to a football match and trying to convince the long-time fans that fouls and offsides are stupid rules that interfere with the action, plus the players should probably be wearing something cooler instead of those stupid shorts and t-shirts that make them look like little boys, just because they currently happen to be the majority on the stands
Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
Go away troll! Shoo!
I guess people dont know what in the **** trolling is anymore. I was asking for a comprehensive list of features that should be on the website not that the game has no features. It still is a little odd that we dont have any good videos with two weeks to release. There is a plethora of screenshots but screenshots dont sell games.

Last edited by TacKY; 03-12-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I guess people dont know what in the **** trolling is anymore. I was asking for a comprehensive list of features that should be on the website not that the game has no features. It still is a little odd that we dont have any good videos with two weeks to release. There is a plethora of screenshots but screenshots dont sell games.
I think you got slammed in the head by some one defending CoD. The original tone of your post was antagonistic to a degree, TacKY. Many, many, many, people on this forum have been waiting 5 - 6 years for this sim, and tensions are high.

I can't go through the full list of features myself as I'm sure I'd misspeak and list something either not finished or I'd forget one.

Frankly, I think CoD is at a point in finances/development where it HAS to be released or possibly never recoup their investment. I'm probably wrong, and we'll never really know. On top of that it's been admitted that features that Oleg wanted to implement would never run on PC with today's power. Regrettably (for Oleg and the community) these are left out or turned off until a point when PCs reach an attainable level of power that the features can be utilized. Things like dynamic weather and clouds are one such example.

The clouds ARE in the mission builder (or is that dynamic weather - it's late here and I'm not positive which now). Use at your own risk. Personally, after taking a few trips around GB I plan on loading a mission to see how these look..... at 1 frame a second of course.

Also, after watching the development these last two years I pay attention to the little things, and believe that if little things are taken care of to such detail, then the big things can't be omitted or of far less quality.

Patience. It's a virtue..... or at least a heart saver.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
I wont buy some overpriced stick to play one game.
If it was only the stick you need...

Stick: $100+
Pedals: ~$100
GPU:~$300
TIR:~$150

Maybe CPU too.

lol

Play Sims3 or something like that.

Last edited by swiss; 03-12-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
If it was only the stick you need...

Stick: $100+
Pedals: ~$100
GPU:~$300
TIR:~$150

Maybe CPU too.

lol

Play Sims3 or something like that.
The momentary costs are insignificant compared to the emotional debt we ring up with our wives/girlfriends for the perceived lack of attention they receive.

I am trying to work on the angle that playing CoD with my 6 year old boy will count as ‘Quality Time’ and by buying her presents.

I’m not sure if I am being successful!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Meanwhile after years and years of development and missed launch dates, the playerbase for this game and games of this type have continued to shrink for the simple reason that the developers failed to update existing features and implement new features expected by the modern gamers.
So it's Maddox Games who are behind players moving away from flight sims and PCs in general towards simpler games and consoles? Interesting theory Still not sure what you're referring to with "new features expected by the modern gamers" - headshots? Bullettime? Achievements? DLC? Facebook spin-off games that earn you in-game items?

Quote:
The games industry has passed this game by and lapped it many times over and Maddox Games is just now arriving at the start line after the race is already lost with a hobbled runner.
Like some other people here you seem to expect that this sim, unlike every single one before, has to excel in all possible areas, especially graphically, without any tradeoffs or compromises. I wonder where this is coming from, and why suddenly it is no longer acceptable that sims can't have the same visual fidelity as high-profile mainstream games. Seriously, what's changed since the days of EAW, WoV, Falcon or Il2? I don't get it...
Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 AM
Approved Member

It's got a flyable Blenheim. And if it looks and runs as well on low settings for me as Il-2 does on high; anything else is cake.