Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Approved Member

Interesting article and eye opening, I agree with Feathered_IV when it comes to the choice between Ubi and Steam.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Approved Member

Hasn't steam reached a 40% or 50% market share on PC sales (excluding MMos & games on facebook & the like) in the US?

For years, retailers there (and also in europe) have favored consoles for shelves space.
Then they realized that Steam had taken a big chunk of PC market and that some of the boxes they sell have steam.

We're in some kind of loop here, retailers in the US do not order PC "boxes" except for big titles, and they also complain about steam.

My guess is that one of the reason for having steam is to insure a launch in the US; even if some here do not like steam and don't use it, it is the reality of their market. Making boxes while retailers won't take them is a risk (inventory); worth taking for a niche game?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Approved Member

This just confirms for me that traditional bricks and mortar retailing is dying out. If I can't get my hands on the CE, I'm definitely going to buy from Steam.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Approved Member

That is a very good article.
I must admit that I didn't like Steam a couple years ago but grew to really love it.
Many games have I purchased through Steam. Games that would never be found in stores today. I've even purchased some new titles and get them the same day of release. I don't have to wait for shipping and I don't have to drive to the store to get it.
There are no discs to get damaged or lost and if you ever have to reinstall your OS, Steam has all of your games ready to download again whenever you wish.

To be objective there is a downside.
It's no biggie, but if my internet goes down, I am not able to play my Steam games as you need to log into Steam.

Weighing the good and bad, the good is far greater and Steam (and other similar companies) are here to stay.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choctaw111 View Post
To be objective there is a downside.
It's no biggie, but if my internet goes down, I am not able to play my Steam games as you need to log into Steam.
You can play fine with steam in offline mode. So there's no downside
Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
Novotny - interested to read the linked article. Has reassured me and am now considering purchasing the game through Steam.

As I really want the collector's edition (primarily for the printed manual) though, and it is apparently not going to be stocked by Amazon UK I may end up ordering it through UBi and then also downloading from Steam on release day while i wait for the CE to arrive (someone posted that UBI won't release copies early to ARRIVE by 25th.)

Maybe OTT, and not ideal, but that seems to be what I am forced into doing to get a Collector's Edition AND be able to play the game on release day.

I was going to say that patience obviously isn't my strong point...but not really true seeing as I (and many others!) have been waiting for this game for years. Buggered if I'm going to hang around for another week after release day to get my hands on it!!!

Also - please post the above link over on the main Steam discussion thread - may sway a few of the doubters there.
+1 same here but im happy to add to the sale figures
Old 03-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Wow. To recap: on a sale over the counter today, we can have our £3 by the end of March, or on a digital sale, we can have £20 by Christmas.

I guess they got it they wrong way around.

Anyway - Steam seems to be the perfect distribution channel to revitalize the PC games market.
Downside is:
-Medium-term we will not be able to buy PC games in a physical form anymore.
-Retailers are reduced to console market only.
-It potentially could kill games magazines for PC titles as they are regarded outdated too(it's all digital and you can reach your customers directly on steam)

Steam could grow to a huge and powerful platform, that scares me a bit.
Time for the Naturalpoint haters to chime in - we're witnessing the birth of a monopoly...
Old 03-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendo65 View Post
As I really want the collector's edition (primarily for the printed manual) though, and it is apparently not going to be stocked by Amazon UK I may end up ordering it through UBi and then also downloading from Steam on release day while i wait for the CE to arrive (someone posted that UBI won't release copies early to ARRIVE by 25th.)

Maybe OTT, and not ideal, but that seems to be what I am forced into doing to get a Collector's Edition AND be able to play the game on release day.
And you can always just forward the CD key in the collector set to a friend in need for them to download it from steam if you buy it digitally beforehand.
Unless you plan on flying on two accounts!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Approved Member

Thanks for posting this, puts everything into a little more perspective. +1

Steam = the facebook of gaming.

Last edited by Defender; 03-08-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
I guess they got it they wrong way around.
Look at the date of the article