Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Approved Member

Lightbulb Why 1C like Steam

FearlessFrog posted this on SimHQ, having seen it posted on the UBI forums. I'm sure he won't mind if I link to it here, to benefit the denizens of this banana republic.

http://www.mcvuk.com/features/808/OP...etail-vs-Steam
Old 03-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
FearlessFrog posted this on SimHQ, having seen it posted on the UBI forums. I'm sure he won't mind if I link to it here, to benefit the denizens of this banana republic.

http://www.mcvuk.com/features/808/OP...etail-vs-Steam
So as I have suggested is confirmed. I buy the Steam version more of my money goes to 1C and none goes to UBI whoop whoop. I will be buying the Steam version. Thanks for the post Novotny.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Approved Member

Nobody knows if this applies to CoD; the publishing contracts may be older than their digital distribution strategy. In fact so far we don't even know if it will be sold over Steam at all, or if there may be region restrictions for that. The publishing situation is certainly complicated, maybe that's why the information strategy is such a mess...

Anyway, if Steam is a way to get around Ubi I'm all for it.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Approved Member

Wow. That was interesting. In that case, I will buy a Steam version of Cliffs of Dover, and Ubisoft can do to themselves what they've been doing to Oleg for years.

(Sorry KG26_Alpha, had to re-edit to something more expressive)

Last edited by Feathered_IV; 03-08-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for that link.

I've used Steam a few times in the past without anything bad happening, but that was for casual time-wasting games I knew would be played for a few weeks at most. If buying on Steam helps 1C, then I'll change my attitude about the hard copy and I'll use Steam. Just cut out the embarrassingly incompetent Ubi altogether.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Approved Member

After read that I'm convinced to buy in Steam
Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Approved Member

yep, thx for the post, interesting read.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Approved Member

Interesting read. It's just a shame PC gamers are not getting the shelf space that console gamers are getting. I would still like to get a hard copy and some sort of users guide. If IC sold hard copies at a respectable price I'd buy from them in a heartbeat. Cutting out the middle man and dealing directly with producers is the reason the Internet is gaining popularity. The only way retailers are going to be able to compete is by supplying a service not just selling someone else's products.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Approved Member

I dont blame them to put it on steam,it gives them a bit more security that the game will not be pirated
Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Approved Member

Novotny - interested to read the linked article. Has reassured me and am now considering purchasing the game through Steam.

As I really want the collector's edition (primarily for the printed manual) though, and it is apparently not going to be stocked by Amazon UK I may end up ordering it through UBi and then also downloading from Steam on release day while i wait for the CE to arrive (someone posted that UBI won't release copies early to ARRIVE by 25th.)

Maybe OTT, and not ideal, but that seems to be what I am forced into doing to get a Collector's Edition AND be able to play the game on release day.

I was going to say that patience obviously isn't my strong point...but not really true seeing as I (and many others!) have been waiting for this game for years. Buggered if I'm going to hang around for another week after release day to get my hands on it!!!

Also - please post the above link over on the main Steam discussion thread - may sway a few of the doubters there.