Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 AM
Approved Member

Smile The goodbye thread

Those who will not buy CoD on account of it using Steam have had to make their point across several unconnected threads. I'd like to offer this thread to them as a place where they can collectively and individually confirm their refusal to play CoD, and also so they can say goodbye to the community as we enter a final countdown to the start of our adventures over the Southeast of England and eventually, goodness knows how many theatres or conflicts.

I'm sad to see you left behind, of course, and would rather you came with us on this exciting trip. But let's at least have a nice goodbye.

So please: sign below if you're not coming, and wish us the best for the many years of CoD to come. I know IL-2 will remain a quality title and I wish you too many more hours with your favourite flight sim.

Edit:: please don't post any points either for/against Steam; this thread exists as a place of remembrance, so that those who are ending their association with CoD and all future add-ons and can say their final goodbyes.

Last edited by Novotny; 03-08-2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Reminding the parish to observe the sanctity of this graveyard
Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
Those who will not buy CoD on account of it using Steam have had to make their point across several unconnected threads. I'd like to offer this thread to them as a place where they can collectively and individually confirm their refusal to play CoD, and also so they can say goodbye to the community as we enter a final countdown to the start of our adventures over the Southeast of England and eventually, goodness knows how many theatres or conflicts.

I'm sad to see you left behind, of course, and would rather you came with us on this exciting trip. But let's at least have a nice goodbye.

So please: sign below if you're not coming, and wish us the best for the many years of CoD to come. I know IL-2 will remain a quality title and I wish you too many more hours with your favourite flight sim.

Edit:: please don't post any points either for/against Steam; this thread exists as a place of remembrance, so that those who are ending their association with CoD and all future add-ons and can say their final goodbyes.
To be quite honest I am not overly interested in CoD anyway the aircraft are far too modern for me !! The only interesting aircraft seem to be AI

My main interest in Il2 has been skinning 1930's era biplanes and I suspect that is what I will continue to do regardless of what funky DRM they use for CoD

Some nice colorful pictures of some recent skins I made to cheer up the thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Approved Member

Actually, although the sim ride has been fun, I'm planning on starting up other new hobbies and really want to start flying again. But with fuel prices rising of late, I'm not so sure about that now. I also plan to restart another passion of mine which is fishing. I might try salt water fishing and guided trips. I'll still play sims but not as much and it will probably be the old IL2 still. Not as nice graphics as COD will have but still fun, I'm just not going the Steam route. There were tons of people that held off of ROF due to the constant connection requirement they had at first. But they got smart and changed all of that so maybe COD will drop steam too?? I still am not sure I'll buy ROF since they still don't have much offline content but they say that will be changed. But ROF will get my business now before COD ever will. That is if I decide to still sim much. There are other things we can do with our time. Hell I lived the first 34 years of my life with no simming at all. Like I have said in other posts, this will be a big loss for Oleg and his team. They should have never made the deal with Ubi-crap again!!

Last edited by Fearfactor; 03-08-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:29 AM
Approved Member

Fearfactor,

Try soaring. It's the most inexpensive flying you will find. But, be careful. It's addictive.

binky9
Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearfactor View Post
Like I have said in other posts, this will be a big loss for Oleg and his team. They should have never made the deal with Ubi-crap again!!
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...2&postcount=29

you keep saying that but what exactly makes you think so...
Old 03-08-2011, 02:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearfactor View Post
Actually, although the sim ride has been fun, I'm planning on starting up other new hobbies and really want to start flying again. But with fuel prices rising of late, I'm not so sure about that now. I also plan to restart another passion of mine which is fishing. I might try salt water fishing and guided trips. I'll still play sims but not as much and it will probably be the old IL2 still. Not as nice graphics as COD will have but still fun, I'm just not going the Steam route. There were tons of people that held off of ROF due to the constant connection requirement they had at first. But they got smart and changed all of that so maybe COD will drop steam too?? I still am not sure I'll buy ROF since they still don't have much offline content but they say that will be changed. But ROF will get my business now before COD ever will. That is if I decide to still sim much. There are other things we can do with our time. Hell I lived the first 34 years of my life with no simming at all. Like I have said in other posts, this will be a big loss for Oleg and his team. They should have never made the deal with Ubi-crap again!!
You DON'T need a continuous online connection.
__________________________________________________ ________________
Do I have to be online to activate my game?

While the activation solution will initially attempt to activate your game online, you can elect to manually enter an activation code. You will need to enter the code that comes with your game into the activation wizard, you will then be given an activation code that you can enter manually. So, although you do not necessarily need to have your computer hooked up to the internet, you will need to go online to obtain a code before playing.
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Approved Member

Brothers, sisters, mothers, posties - debate not their passing, nor the activating or not of their new lives. Respect the end as they choose to greet it, and maybe plant a flower or stare wistfully at the sky. I'm also taking donations for the new TV - wing for the chapel.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Approved Member

Actually, i'm worried this forum will devolve into picking sides for or against features the community is divided over, more so than in the past.

I'd hate to see it turn into a state similar to the one the RoF forums had during it's release, with people screaming "fanboy" and "deal with it, it's the future" at each other, all just because people can't resist taking a verbal jab at those who harbor a different opinion. We don't all have to agree all the time you know

I'm probably getting the sim anyway, but i really hope Steam is there as nothing more than a server browser. It won't work out if they try to shoe-horn CoD into Steam, it's Steam that has to cater to the needs a flight sim game has and not the other way around.

It's obvious they did this for the extra exposure but what remains to be seen is if Steam gamers fit the demographic and whether they can offset the amount of lost sales from the old fashioned die-hards. I just hope we don't end up exchanging most of the knowledgeable old timer folks who know useful stuff about WWII history and aircraft with a bunch of gamers straight in from call of duty and the prevalence of low difficulty air-quake servers with no real historical context whatsoever.

Just because Steam is a great and innovative platform for certain genres doesn't mean it can do the same for a flight sim. How does one go setting up a historically accurate, mission oriented DF server in Steam anyway? Can you rent one yourself and simply have it listed in Steam, or do you rent it directly from them? In case the second is true, can you add maps and missions to the rotation with ease or is it just basic functionality that suits action games with small maps and few variables just fine, but would be prohibitive to seeing something like Spits vs 109s for CoD? If for some reason you are locked out of Steam (hijacked accounts, happened more than once), will that render your beautiful collector's edition totally useless for multiplayer?

I'd hate to even start to imagine getting ping-ponged between the tech support departments of two different companies in such a scenario and it illustrates very well that since copy protection is already handled by Solidshield and people have been able for ages to set up their own private and public multiplayer sessions through a variety of third party tools, the integration with Steam is an added layer of complexity to deal with for the end user without even being essential to the actual operation and enjoyment of the software. It has some nifty, welcome and even useful stuff that are unfortunately added on top of one more layer of things that can break down.

These are the important questions, namely how good Steam is for the scope of something like CoD and not how good Steam is in general. Our games are not similar to what is generally a game. It's certainly not useful at all poking fun at each other's expense when we don't know anything about the potential implications for our community that close to launch and sadly, once again Ubi is not up to the task of providing detailed information. We don't know how optional or mandatory it will be, we don't know if we will need to install through it, etc.

I try to think it won't be too bad in the end, i hope it will even turn out well, but the lack of choice in the matter sure stinks a lot. I just hope that in the event it's cumbersome and unsuitable for our simming needs we'll be able to eventually bypass it altogether in favor of a community made server browser tool. That or Ubi is in for a torrential and continuous earful until the next release from a multitude of disgruntled customers.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Approved Member

this 'worried this forum will devolve' thing; are you talking about something that may happen in the future? For brother, I have news. This forum was born punching itself in the head from both sides. We're not happy unless we're disagreeing. As you can see, I'm disagreeing with you right now, even though I may agree with you. It's just not the point.

Ack, Blackdog you've only gone and posted around 6 billion points in one bloody post again. I'd like to consider and respond to them all but I'm nearly 40 for christ's sake.

Suffice to say, you have some interesting points but the main ones can be summarised as such: wrong, wrong, wrong, right - no, sorry - wrong, wrong and wrong.

tee hee.

Actually, I'll give it a go.

Regarding Steams' demographic: Steam hosts over 1250 games from ass-hurting turn-based strategy bore-fests (I have several) to mental shoot-em-ups (I have several). It's not some sort of 'community', rather thousands of ickle small ones, so clearly something as niche as this will fit in.

Steam's server browsing is a thing of beauty and much admired and copied throughout the industry. Hyperlobby, whilst it serves its purpose, looks and feels like something from the 1980s in comparison and cannot compete in terms of features or innovation. I know, for I was in the 1980s. It was a small part. We will be able to host any old sort of server we like.

Steam has protection for hijacking of accounts and all that sort of nonsense.

The integration of Steam is an added abstraction, this is true. But with that comes many benefits. Our games are much more like other games than some of the games on Steam. Sound like a silly statement? You started it.

I think I've responded to your main points, though just going wrongwrongwrong was easier.

At least you're probably going to try it. What a mad mentalist you are in comparison to our brothers and sisters skulking elsewhere around the church. Pray for them.

Last edited by Novotny; 03-08-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Approved Member

Heck in the big scheme of things.....its just a game. Nothing more. I am getting a hard copy and do not fly online so alot of stuff people cry about doesnt apply to me. I fly ROF and have to login online just to fly in the career mode. I guess I could jump up and down and scream about that....But I just choose to fly and enjoy the hell out of it. When COD comes out I will do just that. And flying in a game is not my whole life. I work out in my yard, hunt, fish and have other hobbies as well. I have a wife and daughters and grandchildren and a life. It is just a game....a game I look forward to flying and enjoying. The way I look at things, if having to logon online just to fly the career mode of ROF is the worst thing about my day, then I have had a pretty darn good day. Same goes for whatever the details are with COD. Life is just to darn short to be taken seriously. When you get to be an old man your priorities change.
Closed Thread