Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Steam poll
Yes I have and like using Steam 256 54.47%
Yes I have and dont like using Steam 67 14.26%
No I do not have Steam but will for CoD 52 11.06%
No I do not have Steam and will not for CoD 95 20.21%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Approved Member

than thank you for clarification

EDIT:ups, thx to Codex
Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
If this is true I am canceling all three of my current orders and walking away from the sim.

I had nothing but trouble with Steam when I was playing RO. And it was even harder to ferret all of it out to get it off my machine when I quit playing RO.

This really has ruined my day.
El Aurens, there are 2.1 million people playing games on Steam at this very moment, and 30 million accounts in existence.

Are you really saying that you will refuse something that you are plainly looking forward to because you don't think it will work, disregarding the fact that it plainly does for so many?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
than thank you for clarification

EDIT:ups, thx to Codex
And my work here is done

I think I'll put together a community FAQ to clear up all of this mess, trouble is I can't access certain websites from work including Steam. This forum is the only freedom I've got
Old 03-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Approved Member

What I am saying is that I don't like Steam, and don't like being forced to use it.

I don't care really how many do use it, that is their prerogative.

It's another process (several really) running in the background, phoning home all the time. It's an unnecessary complication.

Damn, I was so looking forward to the new sim.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Approved Member

I admire the courage of your convictions. When so many others are having a damn fine time, but you stand apart, refusing to get involved must require a real strength of character.

Btw, I'm running Steam atm, as you'd probably guess. It's using 88mb of memory. By way of comparison Chrome, my browser, is using 217mb.

I have 4 gigs of ram. This footprint is not really killing me. As regards it phoning home - I don't think you have anything to worry about; unless, of course, you do have something to worry about.

Edit: I'd like to recognise the truth of El Auren noting it is a complication. But it is a very, very minor complication, and one that comes with many additional benefits. It's really worth weighing these up judiciously and without prejudice; but all I hear from the NOSTEAM crowd is prejudice and fear.

But hey! It's up to you. Some people just hate moving with the times. As said, IL-2 is a fine piece of software and whilst I regret leaving you back in the last decade, you gotta stay where you're happy. I wish you could come with us.

Last edited by Novotny; 03-08-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Approved Member

This is kind of a biased survey.

The sort of person that is online and posting on forums is most likely already using Steam. (Most of the real life people I know that play or have played IL2_1946 bought it in a store and have never played it online ever, those people obviously never come to this forum)

That is going to bias the results a bit.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Approved Member

yes; the sort of person who embraces new technology is likely to be already using fairly old technology. They probably are biased as to its worth, as they established that a long time ago, hence their current use of said tech.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Approved Member

This whole business reminds me of a discussion I had in 1995 regarding the internet. I was rather keen on it, and was telling my friend about all these great guitar tutorials on tunings I had found, without needing to buy expensive books.

I went on about it a bit too much probably, because eventually he exploded and and said that 'there was nothing on the internet you couldn't get in a good library!' and a great deal more I can't clearly recall. I was shocked at the vehemence of his response, though we were drinking and had certainly reached a level of refreshment almost commensurate with the horizontal. I never mentioned those interwebs again to him, and eventually we lost contact.

I'd be very surprised if he still held that view quite so dearly today.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Approved Member

I've been looking forward to this sim for years and been on this forum for a good while too but sad to say I won't buy this som now. I'll buy ROF instead even though it doesn't have much for oflline players. At least they eventually stopped the constant online requirement. Something Oleg and crew apparently did not learn a lesson from. I really don't play online so I don't want to even have a connection up when I play a game.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
This is kind of a biased survey.

The sort of person that is online and posting on forums is most likely already using Steam. (Most of the real life people I know that play or have played IL2_1946 bought it in a store and have never played it online ever, those people obviously never come to this forum)

That is going to bias the results a bit.
What are you talking about? I have always played Il2 offine, at least 99% of the time. And I have haunted all of the forums. Do you think that just because someone prefers to play a game in offline mode means they never get on a computer and get on the internet?? If that were true how would I have ever found out about new game updates or patches and such? Or get help with a game problem. Heck, if I played IL2 but never got online on a PC I'd probably still be playing the original title from 2001 with no patches at all, just the original game. Oh wait! I guess people like us get game patches from friends by having them snail mail them to us on a CDR!! NOT!!

Last edited by Fearfactor; 03-08-2011 at 01:28 AM.