Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Approved Member

Depending on how much of the Steamworks SDK they use for online play it may just take a large step forward. No need for external apps, an integrated friends list so you could see if your squad mates are online and potentially what server they are on and be one click away from being able to automatically join them. You can set up groups online in Steam too so you could have a group for this whole forum to see when people are online or set up a group for your squad. As I said it depends how much of Steamworks they use but things like the overlay which allows you to send out messages to mates while still in the game can also be a benefit. Also if it activates via Steam then it may work like other games where you buy the cd copy, activate your key in Steam but then if you have to reinstall at a later date and your CD is damaged you can download it free from Steam because you registered the key. VAC or Valve Anti Cheat is not perfect but it should keep out a lot of cheats which is surely a good thing.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Approved Member

I did have some problems with Steam in its early days. That was a long time ago.

I didn't have any problems with Steam for atleast 6 years now. I usually buy games over Steam, if i can't find them cheaper elsewhere.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
How are online wars played on steam Revvin?
Errr...the same way they are on every other service, maybe? Using server scripts and dedicated server software. Steam does not affect this. This server, for example is advertised on Hyperlobby and Xfire, it doesn't matter which one you use. What you want to be worrying about is the quality of the dedicated server/server management software.

Last edited by TheGrunch; 03-07-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:35 PM
Approved Member

Another benefit of Steam being integrated into Cliffs of Dover is the fact that you can keep track of those little shits that use Wonder Woman mode, or people you suspect running at really low resolutions for advantages, and just not play with them. Blacklist those s.o.b. in your community groups.

You can also help spread the word about the game by just playing. People you have friended will see you playing it and possibly ask you what it is, and hell before you know it more people are buying it, and then their friends ask them about it so on and so forth. I think any downsides to Steam are really negated by the many many upsides it offers as a platform for gaming. It has in all honesty breathed new life into the PC gaming market, and I for one am glad it exsists. I've discovered new games and new genres through it, and introduced others to games and genres they would never have played.

If you focus on the negative you will never see the positive and I am just trying to add a bit of that light, and yes I am a huge fan of Steam. It resurrected gaming on my favorite platform, the PC.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrunch View Post
What you want to be worrying about is the quality of the dedicated server/server management software.
and isnt that determined by the developer of the game and not Steam?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
and isnt that determined by the developer of the game and not Steam?
Yes. That is exactly my point.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrunch View Post
Yes. That is exactly my point.
rgr that.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote: Please note that the game will also use the Steam platform for services such as matchmaking, anti-cheat etc… So you will need a Steam account to play the game. "

But no pre-order yet on steam.... again UBIFAIL.

I dont want to download the game on ubishop.
I already use steam and impulse. I dont need a 3rd online buy/download system.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodan View Post
Quote: Please note that the game will also use the Steam platform for services such as matchmaking, anti-cheat etc… So you will need a Steam account to play the game. "

But no pre-order yet on steam.... again UBIFAIL.

I dont want to download the game on ubishop.
I already use steam and impulse. I dont need a 3rd online buy/download system.
Ok Edit

I was under the impression there was more than one way to use the online aspect

1. Internal browser in the CoD GUI
2. External Source (Now know to be Steam)
3. Third Party Software.

If its solely Steam Online Play it wall fail like the UBI servers did back in 2001

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 03-07-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Approved Member

Ubisoft's faq in the OP