Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Approved Member

HL2 , no go
Modern Warfare only after some very deep search in the forums
TotalWar Empire no go

i have preordered the Collectors Edition of CoD so far. But im thinking to switch to the standard edition (not so much money wasted in case STEAM will not allow me to use the game , again..) or to cancel it totaly.
I am waiting for some more information from official !C or UBI side about the need of STEAM use in CoD.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

I have been using Steam for more than 5 years without a single problem.In fact Im glad that it will be available through steam.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Approved Member

but a second questionj is dou you want it play online exclusivly through steam too ??

if the install/purchase and online play via STEAM is a CHOICE , its totlay OK.
But if you are forced to use STEAM...

the statement on the UBO püage is not totaly clear in that, at least in my understanding as a non native english speaker.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
but a second questionj is dou you want it play online exclusivly through steam too ??

if the install/purchase and online play via STEAM is a CHOICE , its totlay OK.
But if you are forced to use STEAM...

the statement on the UBO püage is not totaly clear in that, at least in my understanding as a non native english speaker.
Definitely having it as a choice should be the right decision.No doubts about that.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Approved Member

I use Steam pretty much exclusively, and honestly prefer games that use it's match making service too. I've never had issues with Steam itself, but someone used the example of Moder Warfare, and the recent Total War, which if we are totally honest were buggy piles of crap at launch. That isn't Valve or Steamwork's fault when a publsisher/developer hocks off some bloody awful port that won't run for most people.

These issues need to be pointed out and seperated. Steam can't be held accountable for the short comings of the publishers/developers that offer their software through Steam any more than you can hold a B&M store accountable in that regard. Does Steam have it's issues? Sure. All software has issues. I for one am not going to go into panic mode over this. If day one comes and I pay forth my money to get Il-2 Cliffs of Dover and it can't or won't run I will be up in arms, and likely will request a refund. I, however, highly doubt that will be necessary. Steam has improved in functionality and usefulness in leaps and bounds since the early days of HL2.

To another question that was brought up (or a couple actually): a)Whether or not I can mod my game with Steam? Yes, just like any other bit of software find the file and change it. Steam will not change it back unless an applied patch does that. (i.e. the developer's patch undoes all mods)
b) Can I run the version of the game I want to run (i.e. I don't like the current patch and want to run an older version)? Yes, and no. You can back up the current version to a separate folder for posterities sake, and if a new patch comes out that you don't like you can pull the old files out. You will have to set the game to not auto update, but hold onto that older file because when Steam starts back up it will update an out of date version of the game in it's subfolders. This does not mean the same thing as erasing mods.

160 games through steam. only game I have issue with and can't run is Rome: Total War, and that is because I use windows 7 and that game can't run on this OS.

Last edited by Kikuchiyo; 03-07-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Approved Member

It will all depend on the lobby included in the game in fact. It it's as good as Hyperlobby, then no issue, Steam or not
Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

Just because it is on Steam doesn't mean it will use steam lobbies or match making.

For example, I bought Dirt 2 on steam, but it uses GFWL *games for windows live* for matchmaking etc.

I bought MOH on steam, but that uses in game lobbies etc.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
"Please note that the game will also use the Steam platform for services such as matchmaking, anti-cheat etc… So you will need a Steam account to play the game."
As other people may have said, this makes me worry to what extent will steam be required. ie will it be necessary if you are playing online? Will it need to be on when playing single player? The only thing we can hope is that Oleg and team are generally in favour of the customer. The publisher is of course another matter, i guess we'll see what happens.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Approved Member

Already got Steam installed so no problem here. Got 11 games so far and none have given me grief, even Empire: Total War. Gotta admit I really love the sales they have on steam, Kane & Lynch 1 and 2 for 8€ last week, yes thank you!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

I for one am very pleased that its going to be on Steam (even though there's not a single word about CoD on it currently)... the service has been very reliable for some years now.

id say over 50% of the games in my steam library are downloaded straight from Steam.