Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
3 months from now:

"I just bought Pacific Fighters, but it won't install into Cliffs of Dover.
Nor 1946 either. I tried buying the Complete Edition just to save trouble, but I can't even find CoD in it! Help please.

BTW, what is a Storm of Vik?"

Its difficult one. You want to use the popularity and recognition of the IL2 Sturmovik series but the problem is the name was never chosen to be a "brand" and is rather limiting and confusing as one. You can't just put a 2 after the name like most movies and games do and you have a title object that isn't relevant to the subject.

I think keeping the same title IL2 sturmovik will be a very confusing to newcomers, an example: I know nothing about Harry Potter, From just the names I couldn't tell you which was the first film, which was the latest film or the order of any film in between.

What I would do is compromise. Take the IL-2 designation out of the title. That just leaves you with a recognisable name that is now a russian word having a meaning (Stormer) rather than a name of a curently irrelevant plane. You could then give it a sequential number, IL-2 being Sturmovik 1.
You could then do
Sturmovik 2: Cliffs of Dover.
Sturmovik 2: Eastern front.
Sturmovik 2: Sahara
Sturmovik 2: 1950
This differentiates game 1 expansions from game 2 expansions. Without this things will get very confusing even for IL-2 fans in future as the game expands.

Anyone think we should do a vote on this?

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Approved Member

You people have too much spare time and energy trying to solve someone elses imaginated problems.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
Anyone think we should do a vote on this?
It won't change anything.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
You people have too much spare time and energy trying to solve someone elses imaginated problems.
Huh? That is rather impolite. It is a problem if almost everybody thinks it is so. Most people here are not thinking about themselves but instead new future players. Just because you know which game is which does not mean that someone in 5-10 years will.

ZaltysZ, no a vote probably wont do anything, but it would get a idea on how many people think naming the new game under IL-2 Sturmovik is a bad thing.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 01-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Approved Member

I agree. The title is misleading. When I think of Call of Duty, I and every other CoD fan always remembers the 1940 era infantry action and game of year every year it's released. Pwnage.

Oleg said it best in one of his interviews, "No infantry, this is flight sim." But I digress.

Call of Duty makes first person simmers remember World War 2. CoD 2, same era. COD 3 was set there, but they also had a zombie patch. And for the second great war, the series was named for call of duty because every able man had to do their part. And for that era, it was applicable. Call of Duty name is epitome to World War 2.

Now it is selected for a new game.

Modern Warfare does not have a "Call of Duty." It does in a sense, that most successful standing armies are volunteer, but now it is not a call because of the whole world fighting a war or your country will fall if you don't help it scenario.

Name branding you think?

There's a difference between descriptive names and new names
Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

and Modern Warfare Black Ops from the makers of Call of Duty 3, and this is optimal naming convention.

Not unlike having standard naming conventions like .com or .org or file extensions limited to 3 characters, because that is too limiting and new files and new Internets are completely changed from the original Internet and files.
(makes it seem 1990 going back to the old school because it's so cool).

Plus we are humans not robots and nobody cares about organization, and standardization, conventions, and it is always about the new and shiny, and different to stand out in the crowd, independent skate trucks. That is why jets, Italian carriers, Nazi super weapons, nukes, partly guided missiles, and rockets and pogos make the best part of 1946.

Call of Duty is an excellent series, but Modern Warfare and CoD needs to be absolutely clear it is for current, todays date, here and now, infantry actions, not World War II, new shiny best sim.

/TIC
tongue in cheek
Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Approved Member

geeez....

*maddox combat airplane simulation*

*Russian world war 2 virtual combat*

*forum virtual super aces*

I would have no problem with IL2 on the box.....if you get confused by the box...you proberbly will be to confused to fly the planes......Where have you seen that IT IS THE BOX!!.....its a leaked pre production box, proberbly from a meeting where they...well talk about the box art.....

crappy performer, but actualy like the song.....

A few people around here kinda fits the text

LTbear
Old 01-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_setback View Post
3 months from now:

"I just bought Pacific Fighters, but it won't install into Cliffs of Dover.
Nor 1946 either. I tried buying the Complete Edition just to save trouble, but I can't even find CoD in it! Help please.

BTW, what is a Storm of Vik?"
yep, god bless those who cant think and read for themselves
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Approved Member

And flying pencil... you need to go outside more often and think about something else than this new game`s title... im amazed by how much effort you go through to state your objection to it...

face it... its COD.

!THE END!

this post is not meant as an offence to you, but just like you, i state my oppinion about things i disapprove with
Old 01-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Approved Member

+1

If Oleg wants to name the sim Storm of War but can't, then the odds of us being able to get the name changed are pretty slim.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Approved Member

Yes, the IL-2 title is a bad name...
First when I saw it last week, I thougth
"great so it's just a boosted IL-2++ ? I thought it was a brand new engine...
It's true we have seen some screens with interface similar to IL2, and the clouds come from IL2 too... so what's really new there ? just some graphics and a lot less content ?"

Ok, I read this forum every week so I know the engine is really new, I know the clouds and dynamic weather may not be in initial release...
But how much people read this forum regularly ? less than 2 or 3 thousand i'm pretty sure of that... since we reach around 150 viewers on friday updates, I think i'm seeing large here

So how are the others gonna react ?

Not mentionning the problem with Call of Duty...

putting a "from the makers of the never dying IL-2 Sturmovik series" is good enough, confusing people is not a good idea, a confused customer is not going to buy anything...

I don't care of the name (but I liked SoW), but it just should not be IL2 (that game already exists, and it's 10 years old), or the same acronym of a world wide known game serie (8 years old)

Why change the name now ? when all specialized press knows this game under Storm of War ?
Could it be because of this ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storm-War-Hi.../dp/0713999705 (or anything similar...)