Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
... we should be "drowning in information" soon enough.
ROFLOL. Good one.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Communist View Post
What in holy hell costs $550? Did you pay somebody to sneak onto an airbase and rip a stick out of an actual A-10? And what on Earth about the game would prevent it from being played just fine on a joystick for mere plebeians?
Absolutely none, but then again there is nothing stopping you from playing the sim with only a keyboard, though I dare say not many would.

Value is all relative, There are plenty of HOTAS system available at various price points. I Justified my purchace by selling off a lot of old hardware that was filling up my cupboard. Without a major purchace like my Warthog, it probably would have stayed in my cupboard for another year or two and then got put into landfill. So in a way it was better for the plannet, you know reduce, re-use, Recyle!

I find the HOTAS Warthog controls quiet easy to use , when I was using a combination of my Fighter stick and Key commands it wasn't. Was it worth it? It works for me. I think so.

Cheers!
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Approved Member

Same here.

After my Saitek X52 pro twist rudder started to crap out, I purchased the G940 as my next HOTAS. The G940 is a nice kit and the FFB effects are definitely great in IL2.

Nonetheless it was replaced with the TM Warthog after I had the chance to try one out. I personally won't go back to the G940 not even if COD had the best FFB effects ever.

So currently have a TM Warthog, Saitek Combat Pedals and the Cougar MFDs and I think it's the perfect combination for DCS A-10 and overall a very good setup.

But you can play DCS A-10 with any kind of the current HOTAS from CH, Saitek, Logitech and TM because the sim lets you assign multiple modifier buttons directly in game. So you can have one hat for 3 or 4 different mappings. For instance with the G940 I assigned T3, T4 and S4 as modifier buttons and had TMS, DMS, Trim and Snapviews on the POV hat of the joystick.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Approved Member

Awaits the "Waaaah, but DCS uses Starforce" brigade.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy TASB View Post
Awaits the "Waaaah, but DCS uses Starforce" brigade.
LOL - no way.

Then somebody would have to admit that they found a better way to protect IL2-CoD. That's never going to happen. At least not with their primary logins.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Approved Member

Ok, finally crumbled and ordered this. Great offer of 20% off through Direct2Drive and also preordered CoD at the same time £55 for both, pretty decent deal IMHO.

Think I'll play both but A-10 will keep me going until CoD is playable/available - whichever comes first!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Registered Member

I currently have DCS A-10C

Got it from first Beta version and liked it a lot

Sadly in the Final release version there are some problems

1. The datalink comm system between planes is broken (kinda hampers multiplayer)

2. In the final release they put in a requirement that the game in multiplayer must have a constant connection to the master server and if it cannot (30 seconds timeout) then game ends.
So this means there is no real LAN mode , because no internet connection to master server = no game.

I am currently awaiting my refund on the game because of this

Last edited by shadowze; 03-25-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siko View Post
Ok, finally crumbled and ordered this. Great offer of 20% off through Direct2Drive and also preordered CoD at the same time £55 for both, pretty decent deal IMHO.

Think I'll play both but A-10 will keep me going until CoD is playable/available - whichever comes first!
I hope you get some real enjoyment from the game.

My problem was the steep learning curve involved in the game. It's really important to get your key bindings set up the way you want them on your HOTAS / keyboard/ controllers. (just to do the tutorials I was constantly trying to find comand /keystrokes)

I also found that there was a lot of specific tutorials on youtube for working out the weapon system/ avionics.

One thing you'll find it is a completely different style of game play to IL2 and that there is probably room for both sims in your life!

cheers!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 03-25-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Approved Member

I have to say, as long as IL2 COD has been announced, I've been really positive, after all the vids, screens and system specs we have seen I was hoping for a slick release, I do not really care about bugs or little historical mistakes, but from what I've read on sukhoi ( although translated ) there's practically no one who can fight a decent battle or even a mission at reasonalbe FPS even when settings are scaled down ( as it doesn't seem to matter FPS wise, only where you are atm of playing ).

I'm not drawing conclusions till at least the 31st, otherwise I will also consider to spend my time else where like in A-10 ( I liked Black Shark a lot) until some drastic changes are made here.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

I have it.

I use an old MS Sidewinder joystick. I mapped all my throttle switches to the keyboard. Don't need 500 dollar stick for this one.

And an A-10 is bad-ass. It can fly into a battle space, and wipe out 30-40 armored units, tanks, arty, trucks and troops, and fly home laughing. This is one bad birdie.