Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer Maddox Games.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:36 AM
Approved Member

The closest I can come is:

An 'aunt' (my Mum's best friend ) of mine's father was with JG 2 Richthofen. He was later shot down over France sometime after the BoB by a Spitfire. He took a bullet to the head. Apparently he disliked flying the bf 109. That's all I know.

Some collector, (or was it a veteran?) of JG 2 items came around years later and bought all the paraphernalia and uniforms from my aunt's mother. A real shame I'd have loved to have seen them, or got my mitts on them .

Incidentally a neighbour in her street is a von Richthofen and is related to the famous Baron.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Approved Member

Slick188, xnomad: thanks for your posts.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

My great-uncle Geoffrey Pledger was a gunner in a Defiant for 141 Squadron during BoB...He died when his plane crashed in April 1941, presumably during landing.

I'll try to post an image up on one of those free sites someday soon.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Approved Member

My grandfather (also a Canadian) joined the RCAF just before the war. He ended up a Squadron leader, flying Wellingtons on night raids/anti-submarine patrol. He saw most of his action in the Mediterranean, flying out of North Africa and Gibraltar.

He was shot down by a 109 off the coast of Portugal. Thank goodness for the Portuguese fishermen that rescued him or I wouldn't be here today!

He died when I was a teenager but I still have all his medals, plus a pair of Nazi tank binoculars he traded from a Brit soldier who pulled them out of a wreck.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Approved Member

I was born on RAF Grangemouth which was a BoB airfield albeit ten years after the BoB. Does that count?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Approved Member

I have a few links to the Battle of Britain. My Grandfather was an anti-aircraft gunner on the 3.7'' and Bofors gun during the battle. Serving all over Southern England especially during the blitz. My Gran had a story of being buzzed by a German aircraft during the battle whilst on her way to visit my Grandfather by train. She said it was 1 of the most scariest things she had ever known.
My other link was that my old house was built on the site of an old RAF station (Croydon).

*EDIT*
This is for DefiantMK1.
You'll probably already know about this but I've just flicked through a few books I have on the Defiant and in Alec Brew's book, The Turret Fighters, Defiant and Roc on page 75 is a picture of your great uncle with Plt Off Williams next to their Defiant in early 1941. If you haven't got the picture I'm more than happy to scan it in for you.

Last edited by Moggy; 03-24-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

my granddad's dad was a fighter pilot during BOB and went on to Canada to train new pilots. my other granddad's dad was a bomber pilot during the war and took part in bombings on d-day, where they took heavy fire and just made it back to base. pitty i dont know much more on them