Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Approved Member

A promising start to what I hope will be regular updates. There's been a couple of great sims come out recently, and I'd wondered if maybe subject matter of BoB might be a bit tired, but the moment that first Spitfire cockpit shot opened, I've got all my previous excitement back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
It's way too early to gauge frame rates and specs. Many things that will be eating up FPS in the final release aren't yet running at full capacity. Most others are yet to be optimized, meaning they're eating up more FPS than they will in the release.
Il-2 seemed to be pretty optimized code, have faith that BoB will be scalable in terms of graphics. Either way, I've got $1500 set aside specifically for new PC on release
Old 10-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Approved Member

Hi Oleg,

thx for the new screenshots, it's great to see the work in progress

the spitfire cockpit looks amazing !!

this shot interests me the most, with a low flying aircraft looking down at a road (altitude +/- 250 meters ?)
http://files.games.1c.ru/il2pict/grab0126.jpg

in real life from a small aircraft at 1500 meters above an open road you can still see individual cars clearly standing out as moving or stationary object on the open road. this is historically what ww2 pilots reports they used in hunting for ground targets, and anybody in real life can easily confirm this by flying in a small aircraft over a road (as i am sure you have many times)

in il2 this has sadly been a big weakness, and you have to be at +/- 250 meters altitude to have a hope of spotting a truck or tank. this means you have to fly MUCH lower and slower then in real life to spot or track your ground targets (giving you much less visibility to the sector you cover, and more vulnerable to ground fire)

could you PLEASE keep this in mind with BoB as you finalize the tank/truck distant LoD models, and compensate for a flat 2D pc screen trying to model a distant 3D object by making these smallest LoD models stand out more against the background textures (instead of blending in to much) ?

the new ground vehicles look great in closeup right now, but we will need to be able to see them from 1200 to 1500 meters to

Last edited by zapatista; 10-24-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmi View Post
But this means i have to switch to vista or 7, (which is probably the same except for DX) and this is a big MINUS for me.
If you want to benefit from multiple cores you have to do that anyway.

Last edited by Feuerfalke; 10-24-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
It's way too early to gauge frame rates and specs. Many things that will be eating up FPS in the final release aren't yet running at full capacity. Most others are yet to be optimized, meaning they're eating up more FPS than they will in the release.

The framerate we get on these specs today doesn't matter. No one can guess now at the framerate we will have in the release under what graphic settings. I could say what framerate we hope to have on this machine in the release, but a lot of people have a very twisted idea of what Work In Progress means, so I won't.

They are indeed. The build is very stable and there's a lot more going on that what you see on the screenshots.
Luthier,

I really appreciate your answers, thank you for taking the time. I liked most of the pics, and particularly the lighting fx and the shadows.

The Spit cockpit is incredible, I've never seen such a photorealistic object in a flight sim ... it makes even the Il-2 best cockpits look shamefully poor. The workload on the game programmers must be enormous, I can better understand now why so much time to develop BoB ...

Ground objects are very detailed, but the wooden surfaces (e.g. control tower) are not too natural, they need improved texture/color IMHO. The control barrack is beatiful, with objects inside, with their shadows and lights.

The truck below the tree shadows of pic110, with light spots from branches, is gorgeous ... I can't imagine how CPU consuming is it though, if it will dynamically updated.

I noticed that clouds are of different types and height in the same area, is the weather system dynamic ?

Smoke looks greatly improved from Il-2, is there some sort of particle management ?

Planes are good, rivets and doorbays and all ... too good if they will be the same in-game.

Terrain is VERY WIP IMHO ... so no comment on that. But trees look promising.

For a WIP it looks promising indeed. Keep up the good work, it looks like you're closer to the goal.

Best regards,
Insuber

Last edited by Insuber; 10-24-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Approved Member

Default a small DX11 video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
Going a bit off-topic, is DX 11 already out, and what's actually that different between it and older versions?
I found this DX11 vidoe link over at [H]ard OCP:
what do you think of DX11?
Flyby out
Old 10-24-2009, 02:04 PM
Approved Member

Holy ****!

It looks awesome!!

But it somehow remembered the graphics of Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
Going a bit off-topic, is DX 11 already out, and what's actually that different between it and older versions?
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3507
Old 10-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECV56_Lancelot View Post
My questios would be:

1) All the trees will be collidable?

2) Seccond the question about seeing the hull of a ship below the waterline, or a submarin close to the surface?. It would be cool to be able to have partial sunken ships near the shores, with most of the ship below the waterline.

3) The drums. Are they individual drums put together or a single object all together?. Would they explode, burn when shot or bombed?
Or even thrown away if a bomb falls and explodes near by? Physics engine i'm asking here? Something like we see on todays FPS.

4) Great model of the engish fuel truck. Is there a similar model with the hose deployed to put them near an aircraft and make it look like its chargin fuel?. I know this is too much

5) Finally some serious smoke column on the 0147 pic , not the classic thin cigarret smoke column we are all get used to on out beloved simulators

6) Something that seems nobody notice? We have CURVES ON ROADS
http://files.games.1c.ru/il2pict/grab0126.jpg

Is this mean no more of the old angular "elbows" on the roads like we have on il-2?
Also we will be able to have moving vehicles inside the forest?

7) A wish for an update comment. Will there be more complex damage model on bridges?. Not just one bomb near by and bye bye bridge?

Looking foward to the next update .
I hope you don't mind, but I think I remember answers to a few of these:

2) Underwater will be modelled (ongoing jokes about Oleg doing a diving photography sim aside)

3) An interview a year or so ago reported tests of the physics engine which showed barrels being blown by a shockwave and bouncing off a wire fence. However, if you look closely the two nine barrel packets have identical rotations for the barrels - so they are placed as a single object at least. My guess is that the engine has more capabilities than we will see (or have the processing power to run) in the initial release. Maybe, Luthier or Oleg could drop a hint?

6) Yes, curved roads (and railroads) have been confirmed for a couple of years. Oleg, is also using a new system that encodes some information for the AI as part of the texture map pixels - so tanks will be able to know how to go between trees and head down those little English footpaths (possible in theory at least).

As for the others, I have no idea. I've heard the some larger ground objects will have more than two damage states but that most buildings will be simplified considerably when compared to vehicles. I for one would love to see a more advanced damage model for bridges, trains and ships.

It would make a good update. Fingers crossed
Old 10-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Approved Member

Hello Oleg!

Thanks for this much expected update!

I loves everything in it knowing that it is by no means final...however I am (just) a bit worried:
Some of the cloud renditions are beautiful mainly by virtue of lighting and certain nice cloud shapes use (central part of 130) but as far as images 101, 111, 116 & 131 are concerned am I mistaken or are we still in the IL2-type last generation clouds?

I am too much of a RL pilot not to be overly sensitive to and knowledgeable about the cloud shapes, textures and sheer beauty...
No simulation so far has ever been able to render proper clouds, of which bases are most often flat and shapes very sharply defined and complex from afar and becoming fuzzy on closing range...The clouds shown are OK on the last criteria, completely wrong on the first (cotton ball effect against cauliflower effect to summarize drastically)!

I am absolutely persuaded you know very well about this and I just would like to be confirmed that the cloud/weather part is the one visuals-related topic you will want to keep veiled until very late in order to blow everyone (and RL pilots, and FSX simmers, and...and...!) out!

Thanks again you and your team for your work!

JV Masset

Last edited by JVM; 10-24-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Approved Member

someone know how is the link to the Oleg full gallery?

is in http://forums.games.1c.ru/ buth i dont know russian languaje.
i junt want see a little more. nothing more...
Core2Quad 9400 2.66Ghz 45nm - 4x2gb ddr2 800 Kingston = 8GBRAM - XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition 1Gb DDR5 765Mhz/1440steam/ 4.5Gbps- 1/2 Terabyte Wn D 32mb - Mother Assus P5QLE - P&C Silencer 750W - Sentey RJA246 LCD 4 coolers - DVD/RW 20x LG - LCD Samsung P2350n 23" - Edifier C2 2.1+1

waiting for: Il-2: Armée de l’Air; Continuation War; Battle for Moscow; Stalingrad; El Alamein; Sicily; The West Air Campaign; Berlin
ZakKandrachoff