Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Mods

Mods Everything about mods

Old 09-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCaspermeyer View Post
Hey, what part of the game are you in by the way, and how high is your hero level, your spirit levels, etc., etc.?
Ellinia- Death Valley.

23, if I recall correctly. My spirits are something like 32, 23,23, 27.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:26 PM
Approved Member

Have you tried the Blue Dragons, yet? Have you had to fight any yet?
Old 09-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Have you tried the Blue Dragons, yet? Have you had to fight any yet?
Yep. And they worked allright. No crashes nor any other inconvenience.

They're quite powerful, by the way. Took me one or two arrows to defeat them, heh heh.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

Ok, this is serious It seems I cannot defeat Karador no matter the army. Five attempts and nothing. Already cleared Demonis and everything else you can do before the fight.

EDITED: Cyclops did the trick.

Last edited by Sirlancelot; 10-07-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:47 AM
Approved Member

Smile Well, better late than never!

***EDIT***

Okay, I've delved into these issues more and I'm thinking pretty much all the issues I thought were game build ones are real bugs that I've probably added along the way - I'll provide more detail below...

***EDIT***

I've kind of been getting back up to speed on where I left off, but I wanted to address these comments to at least let people know that I've looked at these issues...

These comments also assume that you are using the proper game build and that could be part of the problems...

By the way, I'm not sure if I have the time to do all this, but if I do then that's what it means when I'll look into something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickDragon View Post
An amazing mod MattCaspermeyer, my heartfelt thanks for your great work!
Thanks!

Quote:
I doubt you are still dealing with it, but just in case I will try to list at least some of the bugs I have come across, and if you need screenshot proof of them I will go the extra mile to make sure you fully understand the issues listed. This is only a partial list of the bugs I've encountered, but over the coming weeks or months as I replay with other Heroes on Impossible I'll add more bugs and clarify things If i discover more information.
Ok

Quote:
Bugs Homm3 Babies-

Archmage- Range attack doesn't cause shock, whether in Fighting Trance or otherwise (melee attacks can cause shock). Going into Trance also changes the critical hit rate incorrectly (i.e a 22% critical hit rate in normal mode due to things like belt of luck which grants +10% total by itself, can then be reduced to 15% in trance, namely a 100% critical hit increase of base and not even counting crit bonuses from Hero having 7 attack multiples and ignoring everything else). Archmage as is is borderline unplayable barring his Magic Shield.
I checked and double checked this - I did not make any change to the code here where it makes a difference.

Range attack should cause shock as the code where this is applied is the same and I didn't change anything in their Lightning Attack code, either. So I'm not sure what is going on here...

***EDIT***

Okay, I found out the issue here - when I added Blue Dragons, they shared the shock code with the Archmages and I added a new level= custom parameter to their ATOMs; however, I did not implement it properly for Archmages (I had only placed it in their melee attack, which was not right), but I have it fixed now (I needed to place this parameter in their ranged attack) and will provide a future update to resolve this issue.

***EDIT***

As far as Critical Hit, there are three ways about this:

1. Critical Hit modifiers are just + to the Critical Hit
2. Critical Hit modifiers are percent increases to the Critical Hit
3. Critical Hit modifiers are set to a specific value

I looked at the original code here and the code actually takes the Archmage's current Critical Hit and applies the bonus as the *difference* between the bonus from the Archmage's ATOM and their current Critical Hit. So, it is possible that it could actually reduce their critical hit, if the bonus is lower than their current value.

Since this is stock TL code, then this has always been an issue with the game, but probably not due to Critical Hit for Archmages now having quite a few modifiers in H3B.

It is most likely that the Skill description is not accurate in the original game and I inherited this functionality.

I'll see what to do here...

***EDIT***

I'm going to implement this differently so that it works properly.

***EDIT***

Quote:
Critical Hit rate- Plenty of issues with this. For starters though the tooltip doesn't display the effect of morale on the critical hit rate (however as far as I can tell it is correctly applying the morale bonus to the total crit rate i.e if a peasant has a 30% crit rate and +3 morale for the 200% bonus it is correctly doubling the total to 60%), even in battle the critical hit number doesn't factor in morale. However if you cast morale spells like Battle Cry, or get morale lowered from battle going long or things like Necromancer's Curse, then the critical hit number will change, albeit it will still be incorrect.
Showing the unit's critical hit was actually not originally in the TL game at all, but it was added in AP. I've tried to create the functionality of adding it to my H3B mod, but it is possible that there are issues here beyond my control. I think I did list the issues previously; however, I will attempt to look into this...

***EDIT***

I think there is a bit of confusion here as to what the effect is meant to do. I'm going to revisit the descriptions and see if they are confusing (I remember a lot of them were). I will then see how I've implemented them in the game.

So I will attempt to make the descriptions for their implementation more clear and if I need to make any code changes because I implemented them wrong then I'll do that...

***EDIT***

Quote:
Battle dragging long morale penalty- Reduces stats BELOW their norm. For example if a unit was at +1 morale normally, but then the battle dragged long for the first -1 morale, making the total neutral, the stats of the unit will still take a slight negative hit below neutral morale affect on stats (you can see a Red effect on stats that reduce it below the base). This bug does make it beneficial to have over 3 morale on units if battles go long. Also i believe that morale reducers like Curse variants from Undead Units like Necromancer/Undead Spider and the Bone Dragon ability have the same overally powerful negative effect that lowers stats more than it should be.
I'm not sure what is happening here - a lot of the modifiers use the LUA library functions to perform these tasks. It is possible that the way I've implemented features are beyond what the creators of the game originally intended and perhaps when bonuses are added and then subtracted it is possible that there are round off errors or other possibilities caused by how the bonuses add and subtract.

Barring an exhaustive search on what could be causing this, I'm going to chalk this up to being the nature of the beast...

***EDIT***

Okay, I think I may know what is going on here. When I originally implemented this bonus (well, er penalty), I think I thought that when I was modifying the morale that it wasn't changing the unit's attack, defense, and critical hit properly. I was probably mistaken here as I am double dipping dropping Attack, Defense, and Critical Hit as well as morale (which causes the Attack, Defense, and Critical Hit to drop all by itself).

I will double check this, but it looks like I can just comment out the double dipping code and it should then be okay.

***EDIT***

Quote:
Bowman- Melee attack can cause freeze or extend freeze duration (perhaps mainly against high fire resistance enemies). Same with regular ranged shots as well occasionally causing freeze or extending the duration of freeze (again likely tied to high fire resistance units).
This could be something for me to check.

Since Cold Resistance is not an actual resistance category in TL, the game designers sort of used Fire Resistance as a pseudo Cold Resistance. I made a change such that effect durations are affected by the unit's resistance. So, for example, if a poison resistant unit is poisoned, then the duration is reduced by the resistance (so if poison lasts 3 turns and their resistance is 30%, then it will last just 2 turns). The opposite is also true if a unit has resistance less than 0. Since Fire Resistance acts as a pseudo Cold Resistance, Freeze duration is increased on units that have high Fire Resistance.

If regular shots are causing freezing on Fire Resistant units, then that is a bug that I'll will have to track down - I know that the shot code sometimes reuses the same function and so it is possible that I failed to check the type of attack being carried out (actually, I don't think there is a way to know the type of attack, but what the developers would do is look at the special values of the attack in the unit's ATOM and guess the attack from the values there). So I may need a way to discern appropriately between their 3 different attacks.

***EDIT***

I've actually gone through both Bowman and Skeleton Archers to ensure that I've implemented my changes here properly. The issues arose with the possibility of modifying parameters that the LUA code assumed would be a specific value.

I have implemented the use of the arrows= custom parameter, which was set to 1 when the attack was ranged and I now check that the attack is ranged (arrows=1) and only implement "throw" attacks if this is set to 1; otherwise, it is a melee attack (arrows=0).

I then discern which throw attack it is properly by the values set in its custom parameters section (by the way, this is normally the way the original developers discerned attacks via values in their custom parameters section) to make sure that it is casting the proper attack.

I've also performed a cursory check to ensure that I don't have errors with the other unit's special attacks and abilities and I think everything looks okay.

***EDIT***

Quote:
Cyclops- Can't be Burned, Frozen, and presumably most other status effects like Stun/Poison etc. Eventhough on impossible the resistances to the respective damage types are obscenely high, there is no immunity granted to these status effects by any of its abilities and it should be fixed. "Stone" and a Tier 5 unit should not grant it immunity to basically all status effects. Period.
I think we'll agree to disagree from here. Cyclops in the original game are pretty useless and so by adding this capability to them (they are effectively magical stone creatures) they are a lot better. I took it that you can't really stun, poison, freeze, or burn stone - none of those effects made sense to me and so since you can't normally heal them either, they are able to last a lot longer in combat.

***EDIT***

Another thing to mention here is that the Cyclops is considered a "golem" and units with that feature are normally not affected by most effects (other golems are the Ice Ball, Phoenix, and Evil Book).

***EDIT***

Quote:
Mirabella- Not granting Unit Level- Atk/Def bonus to Human Race units and , only working with the 3 units (griffin, pirate, sea dog) who are listed individually. My findings indicate that any wife that lists specific units under a Unit Level- Atk/Def bonus the benefit works for them, but any units that should be included under "Race" don't get the benefit properly. This radically weakens nearly all wives and is a monumental oversight.
If this is true, then this is simply a bug with the game; however, I remember explicitly checking these during my initial development and they did indeed work because I wanted to ensure that I was implementing the bonuses correctly. In WIFES.TXT, the bonuses are specified correctly as far as I can tell. Since you say they are working correctly for Griffins, Pirates, and Sea Dogs, they must also be working for Guardsmen, Inquisitors, Bowmen, Footmen, Priests, and Marauders because those units are grouped either with the Griffins or Pirates.

So if this is not working in your game, then I'm not certain what the problem would be...

Quote:
Rina- Human form not giving the full 12% discount to leadership for Robbers/Mauraders, seems closer to a 6% discount like the Undead rina gives to undead units (i.e Robbers at 20 base leadership are only being reduced to 19, even though it should be at minimum 18 leadership. Mauraders at 30 leadership are only getting reduced to 28, eventhough it should at minimum reduce it to 27 .)

Rina- Zombie form not granting full 12% discount to undead (I believe only 6% leadership discount). Like all wives not granting Unit Level- Atk/Def bonus to anything listed under Race, in this case Undead. States that enemies get -6% poison resistance, but is giving them -12% poison resistance (which is probably as intended since just -6% would be even more pitiful a bonus than it already is, namely debately the worst wife resist/ - enemy resist bonus).
Rina has 6% on her Leadership bonuses - the tip must be wrong... Same with Zombie Rina. I'll have to check the descriptions as I tried to have these autogenerated, but perhaps something is wrong there.

Quote:
Gerda- Not granting Unit Level- Atk/Def bonus to Dwarven Race units. Presumably all wives that grant the Race variant of Unit Level bonus don't work.
Same as above with Mirabella these should work. Check your game build is the only thing I can think...

***EDIT***

For all the children bonuses, I will revisit this and check them to ensure that they are correct and working, but as I mentioned above, they are implemented properly as far as I can tell and since they are grouped with ones that are working, the only way they wouldn't work is if I misspelled something.

***EDIT***

Quote:
Spellcasting Bug- Spells like Sacrifice or Phantom (presumably every spell can get this bug) sometimes you can't cast a lower level of it, and it automatically casts the highest level of the spell (even if you haven't learned the respective magic school to level 3). You can for instance cast a level 1 phantom for only 14 mana and get the level 3 effect (in terms of the % and the duration) early game/for cheap, which is technically beneficial albeit broken for the player, but with something like sacrifice this can be a real problem due to gaining to many units since it automatically casts level 3 sacrifice. Not sure how to replicate this bug, but a fair amount of battles seem to have the bug randomly (if the bug isn't active for the battle then it never will happen, if at any time it does happen then it automatically will cast the level 3 version of a spell for the rest of the battle, even if you don't have the total mana to be able to cast the level 3 version, as long as you can afford the level 1 version of the spell).
The only thing I can think of here is if there is an error in the Enemy Hero casting logic where the game is confusing whether it you or the enemy hero casting a spell. I've never come across this, so I'm guessing it may be an issue with the game build you're using...

***EDIT***

This one I've given it some more thought and if this is a problem, it is probably due to creatures that have spell casting abilities and I tried to share code between the hero spell casting and the unit spell casting. I know that it is really hard to discern sometimes who is casting what and so it is possible that the code is confusing who the caster is.

I'm thinking that maybe this happens during enemy hero fights or during fights with enemy units that can cast "spells". I'm going to look into this more and for areas where the code is being shared, I may need to add a custom parameter to the unit to help identify it as a caster.

I know that Bone Dragons can cast spells at level 3, regardless of the spell level of the caster and both them and Arch Demons gain spell power from their hero and so it is possible that this behavior is mistakenly being used for hero spell casts instead of only for the unit spell casts.

***EDIT***

Quote:
Combat Takes Place Underground Morale Bonus- Some units like the Cannonneer (http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...c#.VgA-Rt9Viko) get this undocumented Morale bonus, presumably due to its "Likes Dungeons" ability. However other units like Alchemist (http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...c#.VgA-Q99Viko) or Dwarf (http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...c#.VgA-Vt9Viko) with the same "Likes Dungeons" ability are not gaining the Morale bonus. Also one can see the Red status from -morale due to the battle being long, which is a negative effect beyond what losing that morale should be.
This is probably an issue with the descriptions being similar, but different. Cannoneers get +1 Morale in Dungeons, but Alchemists get +25% Attack as specified in their ATOM's.

Quote:
Lina's Ice Ball- Not gaining critical hit bonus from the Hero Attack (i.e the +2% from 7 attack, +4% from 14 attack etc). Is properly gaining the bonus from items like Elven Belt or Babies like Ufretin with his +40% crit rate for all units. Also not gaining the Hero resistance bonuses from multiples of 7 defense (not sure about tolerance resist bonus but will check).
Summons do not normally get any of the hero bonuses. Since Lina's Ice Ball counts as a summon, that's why, but it is probably something to think about as it is possible to modify its stats.

Quote:
Tolerance Level 3- INCREDIBLY annoying bug, level 3 tolerance ONLY gives it's +6 resist all during the first turn. As soon as units finish their turn the entire tolerance bonus goes away for the remainder of the battle. However any summons/phantoms or whatever keep the tolerance level 3 bonus for the entire battle. Basically upgrading from level 2 to level 3 in Tolerance is pointless with the bug, since atleast the level 2 Tolerance works with it's +4 resist all throughout the battle without any hitches.. The biggest loss is the extra 2% resistance from the final bonus, but even the demon/elf morale penalty negation being "lost" due to it being foolish to upgrade to Bugged Level 3 Tolerance, is unfortunate.
I'm not sure why, but I somehow didn't implement this bonus properly. I will fix...

Quote:
Werewolf Elf, Vampire, Ancient Vampire- Using their transform ability causes them to lose the hero resistances from 7 defense multiples. Potentially many other things not properly affecting them due to transformation, will possibly update (albeit am ignoring them due to the bug).
Unit transformations cause a complete loss of all spells, bonuses, etc; however, I can see where this is an issue and I need to do the same thing that I did with the enemy unit transformations that keep their bonuses...

Quote:
Necro's Call or Necromancer Raise Undead- The units raised don't benefit from either Hero Crit boosts from 7 attack multiples, nor resistance boosts from 7 def multiples (not sure about tolerance).
Once again, this is due to the game treating them as summons and so I will need to think about this...

Quote:
Necromancer's Raise Undead- Devastatingly bugged beyond belief. Basically if using it to resurrect another undead unit or itself it will not end the necromancer's turn, allowing him to keep using for "free" and finish his turn as he wishes either attacking, moving, defending, using another ability, or using Raise Undead to actually raise corpses which atleast does end it's turn. The best work around for fairness sake if one intends to use it as a resurrect is to use it once and then necro's turn manually with either defense or walking back to that position with the final action point to prevent the cheap defense boost. Eventhat requires one to not use the Raise Undead ability for a couple more turns manually since it doesn't start the reload countdown on the ability since it didn't "really" use it.. One way or another the battle is likely to crash if you screw around with Raise Undead, especially if in a future turn you attempt to use it on another unit.
There are no ENDMOVE=0 lines in the Necromancer's ATOM, which is the only way for this to happen, so I'm not sure what the issue would be here except a possible game build issue.

Quote:
Skeleton Archers Magic Arrow- Actually removes the difficulty (i.e Impossible) bonus which is probably a bug (but a cool feature that gives the heavily nerfed Skel Archer more juice), but it actually only lowers base damage, with all other stats still boosted with the A.I bonus (even damage from talents remains). As a whole Undead have an outrageous amount of bugs starting from the Wife, plenty of babies, nearly all the units in one capacity or another, and they go from basically the best race in original KB The Legend w/ the best wife and the only Hero Skill specifically boosting them in the form of Dark Commander, to the absolute worst race for the player in Babies. Maybe later i'll go into depth chronicling their massacre in this mod as it stands.
I noticed this before, but I can't remember if I decided to fix this or not as the Dispel capability removes all unit modifiers. I'd need to look at this to see where I left it...

***EDIT***

Okay, I've added the special_difficulty bonus to the list of spells not removed by this attack.

***EDIT***

Quote:
Babies (So many bugs it's almost disheartening, and i'm almost too lazy to chronicle all the numbers that are off but i'll try..)-

Piquedram- Numbers are off for every plant unit benefited. I.e Ancient Ents get a 5% leadership discount and 5% extra health, not the 4% each as listed (even still the number should be higher AND he should get +1 initiative/speed/morale since as the slowest base unit in the game at 1/1 init/speed he can really use it). Royal Thorn numbers are off (believe it's actually 7% discount and health bonus, not 9%), same with the thorn hunters and thorn warriors who are getting even less of a bonus then listed (which is already behind par to other babies for level 1 units). In short he can use fixes and and buffs to make him not complete garbage.
It is possible that the auto-generated description is wrong here. I would need to look at this.

Quote:
Clancy and the other Unicorn Baby- Could REALLY use +1 initiative on top of the +1 speed/morale.
Unfortunately, the way it works is that the higher the unit level, the fewer modifiers they get. So only using 2 out of the 3 is how all the level 4 unit children bonuses work.

Quote:
Cool Features that would add to the replay value-

When starting a new game having the option to exclude certain babies from wives (if you have already acquired some of the babies in a previous playthrough and want to guarantee all new babies to eventually experience most/all of them).
Implementing this is simply not possible.

Quote:
Critical Hit for Abilities/Talents- Featured in the newer games, would be cool in Babies as well (including things like bless affecting Talents). Only problem is that on Impossible enemies have outrageous critical hit rates as is (seemingly a minimum of 40, and many enemy units getting near outright 100%), so having to suffer constant crits with their Talents is not particularly exciting..
I've made this change in the unreleased version of my mod that I was working on over 3 years ago...

Quote:
Enemy Morale like in future games- Would right away benefit 3 of the Undead troops which are weakened for the player; namely Undead Spider with his Cursed ability, Necromancer with his Cursed ability, and the completely useless Bone Dragon Morale Penalty ability. This change would make the woefully weak undead slightly more playable, and not quite as imbalanced in terms of being a strong enemy but terrible army for the player to use.
Unfortunately, in TL the developers decided not to implement Morale for the enemy player. I experimented with changing the enemie's morale and it literally had no effect on their stats! So this is not possible in TL.

Well, sorry for taking forever to respond, but if I ever get back into modding this game I will see about fixing these issues. I actually looked at my change log from 3 or years ago and I have quite a few changes that I never released. So here's hoping that I can spend some time with this in the near future.

Thanks for your comments!

Matt

***EDIT***

If I find out any more information about the above issues, I'll be sure to post here and hopefully I'll be able to find some time soon to provide an update that fixes the issues that I've already fixed.

***EDIT***

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 10-12-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Learned more about these issues
Old 10-08-2017, 12:49 AM
Approved Member

Cool Yep, he's a lot tougher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirlancelot View Post
Ok, this is serious It seems I cannot defeat Karador no matter the army. Five attempts and nothing. Already cleared Demonis and everything else you can do before the fight.

EDITED: Cyclops did the trick.
Oh yah, Karador is a lot harder now isn't he?

Matt
Old 10-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb Maybe...

Quote:
I checked and double checked this - I did not make any change to the code here where it makes a difference.

Range attack should cause shock as the code where this is applied is the same and I didn't change anything in their Lightning Attack code, either. So I'm not sure what is going on here...
I thought about this some more and it is possible that the common shock function that I created is not working properly for mages. I'll see if I can find out what is going on here...

Matt
Old 10-08-2017, 08:27 PM
Approved Member

Exclamation Found the source of this bug!

Quote:
Archmage- Range attack doesn't cause shock, whether in Fighting Trance or otherwise (melee attacks can cause shock).
Okay, I found the source of this bug - when I added the Blue Dragons, they share the features_shock function with Archmages and there is a level custom parameter that I added that breaks the Archmage's capability to shock targets unless it is melee!

This is a great find. I have to dig up the purpose of this level parameter for Blue Dragons and ensure that I don't break them by fixing the Archmages...

Matt
Old 10-08-2017, 11:06 PM
Approved Member

Lightbulb I think I see the problem here...

Quote:
This could be something for me to check.

Since Cold Resistance is not an actual resistance category in TL, the game designers sort of used Fire Resistance as a pseudo Cold Resistance. I made a change such that effect durations are affected by the unit's resistance. So, for example, if a poison resistant unit is poisoned, then the duration is reduced by the resistance (so if poison lasts 3 turns and their resistance is 30%, then it will last just 2 turns). The opposite is also true if a unit has resistance less than 0. Since Fire Resistance acts as a pseudo Cold Resistance, Freeze duration is increased on units that have high Fire Resistance.

If regular shots are causing freezing on Fire Resistant units, then that is a bug that I'll will have to track down - I know that the shot code sometimes reuses the same function and so it is possible that I failed to check the type of attack being carried out (actually, I don't think there is a way to know the type of attack, but what the developers would do is look at the special values of the attack in the unit's ATOM and guess the attack from the values there). So I may need a way to discern appropriately between their 3 different attacks.
The way the "special_bowman" function was originally written, I can see where it may have some potential issues with some of the changes I made.

I think I'll have to add some checks to this function to discern properly between whether the attack is burn or freeze and whether it is ranged or melee (the original code didn't really discern this) - I think that's where it might be behaving strange with the changes I made...

Matt
Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Oh yah, Karador is a lot harder now isn't he?

Matt
Perhaps too much. It seemed impossible without the cyclops.