Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcho View Post
Wait, what?! Really.. since when is this? I have played recent video games, example, Call of Duty: World at War, and there's Swastikas all over the place.. nobody got in trouble for that. And as long as I can remember, every WWII game I played, had Swastikas in it.

Please, Anton, don't get the impression that I'm angry, because I'm not.. I just think its stupid if you were forced to take them out because people thought it was inappropriate for the game when its based during WWII and shooting down the Germans.

[Edit]: Sorry, I misunderstood the situation, however, I still have a question, in the copies sold to North America, will there be swastikas in the game? Not really important, just curious.
No swastikas in the game. Period.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

I don't know if this has been suggested yet or not, but one thing that would be good to see would be difficulty settings that you can customise like in the last game.

Because im not that experienced a flyer I like the arcade mode, but shooting down planes is far too easy as you only have to clip them from them to burst into flames.

I also seem to find it near impossible to get damaged by other planes or ground forces, so it feels like I am not properly witnessing the great damage engine

I don't mean to whine
Old 08-14-2009, 04:20 AM
Approved Member

When IL-2 1946 hit the store's in 2007 here in N.C. i went to pic-up my copy,(Preorder) and they said we cannot sell-it yet I said why! "Becouse rumours of swastikas are on some of the content in game", and we have to hold-it. This was at bestbuy, finally got it 1 week later after checked O.K. So no swastikas in the U.S version.

If the swastikas are Clockwise-Symbol of Death and hate, Nazi Party
If the swastikas are counter clockwise-Symbol of life and good luck, so look very close to see if the swastikas in WAW are counter clockwise.
But any way you look at it, it looks bad.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
When IL-2 1946 hit the store's in 2007 here in N.C. i went to pic-up my copy,(Preorder) and they said we cannot sell-it yet I said why! "Becouse rumours of swastikas are on some of the content in game", and we have to hold-it. This was at bestbuy, finally got it 1 week later after checked O.K. So no swastikas in the U.S version.

If the swastikas are Clockwise-Symbol of Death and hate, Nazi Party
If the swastikas are counter clockwise-Symbol of life and good luck, so look very close to see if the swastikas in WAW are counter clockwise.
But any way you look at it, it looks bad.
That's not right, there's no law against the swastika in the USA and even if there was an attempt to the 1st Amendment would prohibit the outlawing of Nazi symbols.
The ones in WaW are authentic swastikas, they only get removed in games sold where the swastika is legal when the dev use the swastikaless version for multiple countries. For example Silent Hunter 3 has swastikas in the US but no swastikas in the European version including Australia. However WaW has swastikas in the European/Austrailia version but not in the German version.

The problem you had with '46 being delayed would have been because the game uses the same version globally and it would have been stopped at the factory before being released.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:49 AM
Approved Member

After having played the demo dozens of times I have to say that were it not for this thread then I'd probably never even have noticed the lack of swastikas.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Approved Member

I'm guessing the delay Firefly experienced may have been due to an ESRB ratings issue if swastikas were in the game, kind of like when Oblivion got re-rated because of the topless texture on the disk.

Also Firefly, many of the "good luck"/religious symbol swastikas face the same way as the Nazi one. The Nazis didn't invert it themselves, since about half face that direction anyways. By the way, if you went up to a Nazi in WWII and asked him about swastikas, he probably wouldn't know what you were talking about. The Germans called it the Hakenkreuz, or hooked cross. (Learned that in German class, oddly enough!)

Just so this post isn't completely off topic, I do have a suggestion:

Please make the zooming in feature available in sim mode! I have a crappy standard TV and I can't see planes clearly (for IFF purposes) even sitting right up close. I can understand leaving it out of MP, but could it at least be made available for the campaign?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger7 View Post
Please make the zooming in feature available in sim mode! I have a crappy standard TV and I can't see planes clearly (for IFF purposes) even sitting right up close. I can understand leaving it out of MP, but could it at least be made available for the campaign?
Zooming is there in sim mode.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Approved Member

Left trigger will provide all your zooming needs.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 PM
Approved Member

Yup, the engine sound and pre-stall warning issues are paramount. As maxqubit stated, all other relevant games have variable engine noise, and for good reason.
Regarding the stall warning; another poster drew the comparison to squealing tires in driving games. This was an excellent example of how one can detect the limits of a machines capabilities and push the envelope when needed. Both these issues need to be addressed. I would put this issue at the top of the priority list regarding late in the game changes or DLC upgrades.
One cool thing about stall warning is that you would be able to easily tell if one plane had an manouverability advantage over another.
Please fix this.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manintrees View Post
Yup, the engine sound and pre-stall warning issues are paramount. As maxqubit stated, all other relevant games have variable engine noise, and for good reason.
Regarding the stall warning; another poster drew the comparison to squealing tires in driving games. This was an excellent example of how one can detect the limits of a machines capabilities and push the envelope when needed. Both these issues need to be addressed. I would put this issue at the top of the priority list regarding late in the game changes or DLC upgrades.
One cool thing about stall warning is that you would be able to easily tell if one plane had an manouverability advantage over another.
Please fix this.
One of the first threads I posted on this board after the demo was released was about the missing shuddering audio before a stall. Somewhere Anton mentioned he had tested it out and it indeed WAS a glitch...so I'm expecting this to be fixed with a patch.

Still no word on the engine noise though...