Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Approved Member

Default Stuka Request.

Hello there,

I was wondering about the Stuka´s bomb release system, will it be included in the game in the way it worked back in the days? I read in various articles that the bomb would be guided by a U shaped rail to avoid slamming into the propeller when diving. I hope this will be included in SOW as well since the Stuka played an important role in the Blitzkrieg in the early years of the war, especially against key targets.

Not only would I love to see the rail working but also the automatic pull up system like in IL2, but I miss the part that the air brake also retracts and the engine toggles to a climb automatically.

I'm sorry if this is already mentioned before, or is it already confirmed or shown on a picture?

Thanks in advance,

Sven

I think this is the best picture showing the rail working.

Last edited by Sven; 01-04-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: added a picture
Old 09-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Approved Member

That there is a pretty spot on drawing...looks good +D
Old 09-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Approved Member

Here ya go mate:

Old 09-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Approved Member

Wow, i didn't know the automatic pull-out system also had an auto-throttle component.

It's amazing how technologically advanced some of these birds were and most of all, it was all based on ingenious mechanical solutions. I stumbled upon a translated Ju88 manual today, linked in another post in these forums, which i promptly downloaded and spent some time reading. It's incredible how much automation the luftwaffe birds had in an age where digital computers were non-existent.

In the Ju88 for example, the supercharger automatically dropped to low gear when the pilot throttled down to assist him in reducing speed and it kicked back into high gear when throttling back up, based on a manifold pressure thershold. However, it was still clever enough not to kick into high gear when in lower altitudes.
RPM and prop pitch control was automatic, but the pilot could fine-tune the RPM values to stay within operating limits and account for inconsistencies between different engines, mixture was leaned automatically based on two different profiles and so on. Some pretty amazing engineering for the time, especially if we consider that it was all analog-sensor based.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Wow, i didn't know the automatic pull-out system also had an auto-throttle component.
I'm not sure it did. I think there was a checklist posted some time before that stated the pilot had to reduce power and close the radiator before initiating the dive. After pullout, he had to increase power and open the radiator fully. However, the air-brake system changed the pitch trim for the dive, released the bomb, and initiated pull out at a pre-set altitude in case the pilot blacked-out.

Last edited by Romanator21; 09-26-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Approved Member

Correct me if I am wrong (and I am sure someone will lol), but wasn't the bomb actually attached to the rail? It was swung down prior to release as I recall. Yes?

Splitter
Old 09-26-2010, 05:45 AM
Approved Member

Uhh, isn't that what the above pictures show?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
The purpose of the "Pull-Up" device,

The elevator trim tab, which are used with the extension of the dive brakes,
goes back into their normal position at the bomb release.
Doing so, the trim tab initiates the "Pull-Up" manoeuvre from the dive.

Last edited by Rodolphe; 09-26-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Approved Member

Thanks Romanator, I missed that picture!

Well I guess it is solved then.

But is it true that the dive brakes retracted automatically when the bomb was released? I know from IL2 that the trim function works.

I read somewhere, not entirely sure, that the pilot had to push some kind of button to make this happen prior of bomb release.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 PM
Approved Member