Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Approved Member

Default No No's

Hmmmm.....CTA is a funny thing...BoP version of "the whackey races" me thinks.....same as bobbysocks say's...never played a game that I was not bombed or rocketed into the turf !

Now...Number 1 unwritten rule for me is...Please dont bring Rockets into a dogfight....take me out because you can out-turn, out-shoot, out-wit me and you Sir are the better pilot.... Roast WildBoar is best cooked on a medium heat.... not by lighting up one of ya 12 Roger Ramjet Bazooka's and stuffing it up my Backside (wide as it is ! )

Rant Over ..........Love The Game to Bits !
Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

I found this thread very useful. I was doing some of the nono's and didn't even think twice about it. I always used bombs in CTA, but now that I've read this, I kind of understand why they are frowned upon.

I made a thread (without researching too much, sorry) about people kamikazing me in CTA. Is this frowned upon as well?

I'd say all the Vets here put down a list and maybe dkwookie can construct it in his main post. I would love to see this as a sticky, as I'm new and found it very useful.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Approved Member

Kamikaze is desperate practice and deff frowned upon. Big time!
That said... It's of course room for the occasional accident, but when it tends to be the pattern I change tactics and go killstreak on the rammer...
Old 04-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Approved Member

I will change my tactics right away, for I am one of those players that try to crash into the planes. But I will cease with that tactic since people frown at that, though I have never heard anyone complain about it.

The no bombs on CTA is a new one for me though, every game I have played in CTA we have always used bombs.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Let me sum up what I went through for ten mins. I spawned and captured an airfield. (This is 2v1 me being the 1.) Then both of them land to take it back over, I knocked one out but the other regained control.

The guy I killed spawned and ran straight into me. (My fault becasue I wasn't pay attention above.) I spawn after that and land to cap the airfield. All the sudden boom he dives into me. After this it is nothing but the same process repeated. I would try different approaches to land but as soon as I did, boom. He would run into me.

I would have killed this guy, but I had a bomber and he had a some sort of plane like the P-51B. I nailed him a couple of times and landed right after, but he spawned so close, no matter what I couldn't take the airfield.

Now I see a kamikaze work in a few situations thats passable for me, but it repeated like that killed the fun I was having in the match.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Approved Member

We've practiced rockets only in CTA with big applause. Makes it more like a strafingmission. More cool, more fun and maybe a bit more realistic? (My bomberskills sucks anyway...)
Old 04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie-Wall View Post
Let me sum up what I went through for ten mins. I spawned and captured an airfield. (This is 2v1 me being the 1.) Then both of them land to take it back over, I knocked one out but the other regained control.

The guy I killed spawned and ran straight into me. (My fault becasue I wasn't pay attention above.) I spawn after that and land to cap the airfield. All the sudden boom he dives into me. After this it is nothing but the same process repeated. I would try different approaches to land but as soon as I did, boom. He would run into me.

I would have killed this guy, but I had a bomber and he had a some sort of plane like the P-51B. I nailed him a couple of times and landed right after, but he spawned so close, no matter what I couldn't take the airfield.

Now I see a kamikaze work in a few situations thats passable for me, but it repeated like that killed the fun I was having in the match.

Single airfiled CTA would profit by 15 sec respawn... Just a tip to the host.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Approved Member

I usually only start a cta match if i know there will be at least 3 a side. We sometimes do rockets only cta games but that does tend to lead to more rammings. Bombs are fine for cta games its part of the game. Usually anything that doesn't include you dieing in the process is fine. So try not to crash into planes, don't drop your bombs so late that they kill you too, and dont suicide attack (attack a plane on the ground in such a steap dive that you have no possibility of pulling up after you kill the plane on the ground.

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope
Old 04-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Approved Member

Default about the unwritten rules

Hi everyone,

My two cents worth opinion on the subject, if I may. The previous two posts (McQ59's and Robotic Pope's) are right on the mark. As for me, I do not like extensive restrictions on certain game modes that are put by the host and I'll politely leave the game lobby if I don't agree to the rules. Bombers and/or heavy fighters have rockets and other weapons for a reason.

I like to put restrictions on myself though. Such restriction is that I do not like to fly Russian plane in Britain and by the same token I do not like to fly British or US plane on the Eastern front unless I really have to (forced by the plane choice of other players).

Intentional crashing into my AI (be it on the ground or in the air) is the most serious offense and that would earn that offender a “no go” from me for future games. Of course you can not ban anybody from playing (which is OK, IMHO), but you can choose your playmates and after certain time you spend on line you will find like minded people that come to play with no agenda other than to have a good time. Last weekend we had a fantastic gathering of sim players from this side of the “pond” (USA), and one (or perhaps more) player(s) from a Nordic country (very nice of him to play that early in the morning, I mean his morning).

This brings me to the next point, and that is the sim mode which I find the most enjoyable of all modes (play it 90% of the time). Also, the people I usually play with are all very cool! Yeah we sometimes shoot our own team mates in the “heat of the team battles, but that is always unintentional and quite often fun

Sometimes games that have too many players (for me that is more than 6 in DF or more than 8 in CTA), unless they are prearranged as “historical” with the specific tasks assigned to each team, quite often turn into mayhem and/or flying circus. Strike games are cool because one can not imagine any restrictions other than afore mentioned intentional crashing into someones AI. Crashing into a bunker is OK Or is it?

Bottom line for me, find yourself in a good company of players and you will enjoy every singe game.

P.S. I'd like to welcome Willie-Wall to the game/forum and let him know that CTA is also my favorite game.

PSN: PlaviKit (USA Mountain time zone)
Old 04-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

I agree with what Aquila chrysaetos said. Somethings can always be done in games to seem cheap or abused. But once you play that certain game enough and you show respect, you will find yourself a nice group of friends to play that game with you the way you like.

Thanks for the welcome, I also sent you a PSN invite.