Fulqrum Publishing Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official Fulqrum Publishing forum > Fulqrum Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > CoD download, installation and activation threads

CoD download, installation and activation threads All discussions about installation, online activation and Steam

Old 11-11-2011, 06:29 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk471138 View Post
Thanks alot devs for compelling users to use this steam garbage...ive said it more than once, I dont want some third party crap just to be able to play some game i got on disk....seriously...you open me up to being a potential victim, THANK YOU 1C AND UBISOFT THANKS ALOT....

seriously make it so i dont have to use this garbage just to play a game that i bought on disk....

i dont want this steam crap, and the BS that comes with it....
Well, of all the digital software distribution channels - name one that is better? The days when games ship on DVD:s is quickly coming to an end, just like CD:s for music is almost dead. Do you honestly think that games will ship on DVD:s in five years? Sure, the whole music industry missed out on the fact that physical media is dead as a distribution channel for years and missed the whole market that Apple, Spotify etc snatched right in front of their noses... Amazingly the software publishers did the same thing and just gave a big chunk of the future market to Steam. Finally the last year or so they have woken up and EA is now doing all they can to catch up with Origin...

The DVD is dead, even the big elephants have realized it now and can join the ranks of Sony Music in the bar whining about how they lost a whole market in a few years for not understanding that the digital revolution was more than fancy web sites...

Mazex
Old 11-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Approved Member

just be thankful it isn't like the old days, where credit card companies used to think ID theft and someone using the Internet to steal CC info was just you trying to get out of your CC payment . . .
Old 11-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Mine was three months ago.
Then it wasn't Steam, that could have been from anything Online or Offline

There's no known confirmed reports of CC theft yet and Its better to warn us then to do what Sony did.
If you unchecked the boxes that saves your info you got nothing to worry about regardless.

Last edited by r0bc; 11-11-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:24 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for the information. I am not reading the Steam Forums and would not have known. And I have a misgiving... will report back later after checking my real mailbox.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Approved Member

The Steam Forums have been down since the hack on Sunday
Old 11-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Approved Member

There is a setting in your account that prevents your credit card details being stored online. If you don't mind typing your number in each time you buy something there is no need to leave it there.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Approved Member

Them being hacked really just lets us know that, on the net, nothing is secure. There are people who make a living off of hacking, and they are dam good at it. Double, triple or even quadruple security is really redundant now days, it just provides a challenge to those hackers.

The only thing that bothers me is that 1C went with steam at all. Never liked it, never will. I had games with them before a long time ago and had some problems. Deleted steam from my pc and thought that I would never have to deal with them again.....never say never, about anything.

To much dependance on a separate entity/company for operation of the game if you ask me....but I can understand why it was done (finances). That is the only reason why I play CLoD, to support 1C, not steam and hope they hall themselves out of it eventually.

Whiskey
Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Approved Member

Yes sure, do never save important passwords or numbers anywhere, but 2 days ago I ordered a second CloD key on "Get Games" for the 12€. The key I received was not accepted by STEAM so I contacted Get Games- Support and I was told that my card was not charged for an unknown reason. That is somewhat odd, so I decided to wait until I receive my CC balance calculation. Might be related to typo, but I`ll know soon...
Old 11-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Approved Member

Well this is bad news, but I don't see why anyone needs to rant about Steam in particular.

Look at the huge Sony debacle recently with the PS3 intrusion.

Last year my debit card was stopped by the bank after someone hacked into Hannants' online model store, but I don't blame Hannants, and hats off to the bank for preventing any fraudulent activity.

If you order stuff online, you run the risk, wherever and whoever you buy from.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Tailspin, you worry too much.

Hi El! So you hit the beginning of this thread - now I'll hit the middle.

The link that the OP put up is a good service to users. Thanks for the info.

I like Steam. I've never seen a problem with it. It's the least invasive software distribution system that I've experienced yet. I also like the transportability of it - i.e. if I'm off on travel or get a new system, I can very easily install Steam and let it d/l all my apps to a new system painlessly.

As far as security against identity and real money theft - I find Steam and all other apps of it's ilk to be the least of my concerns.

I've also had my credit cards charged by criminals a few times over the last 5 years or so. Not once have I ever had to pay any money out of my pocket - and I have a hard time believing anyone else has either. Each time, after thousands of dollars had been rung up on an individual card - the bank paid for the loss and then issued a new card.

Of all the computer theft, fraud issues - the most dangerous ones I've been a victim of have been the responsiblity of big business and government. For example, the U.S. Veterans administration allowed my social security number, and other personal information to be compromised several years ago. Medical insurance, payroll information, etc... have all been hacked for millions of us. Add that info to your Facebook account.....

I find it interesting that there are people in this world who chose game software to hold up as a significant example of computer crime and potential victimization, when in fact there is so much private personal info held by organizations who've already compromised the data.

My guess is they just don't know it yet......

Thanks to the OP for the link and info - otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. I'll file it away with all the others

S!

Gunny
Warthog and U2Nxt Cougar under t.a.r.g.e.t